I'll make this quick, tuning half a step down is when you tune the guitar to
Eb
Bb
Gb
Db
Ab
Eb

there are several reasosn why people do that (SRV Jimi hendrix) It can be that they aren't that good at singing (Eb is closer to normal speech), or it can be that they use heavy strings (on some guitars the neck can burst if you tune it in standard tuning with .13 or heavvier) or it might just be that they want a "rawer" sound.
Or to better fit a vocalist (not meaning the vocalist isn't 'good.'
The neck can't 'burst' it's about the setup and truss rod *well. maybe some First-Acts could)
Timbre changes, it's may be a 'rawer' sound but it's called a timbre change.

Way too short, and not specific enough.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
well, hendrix and srv DID use heavier string that people usually do (.12 if im not wrong) and the tuning is not only that its easier to sing along to but it makes the strings.....'softer' in a way, i mean, it takes a LOT les to do a 2 bend en Eb that on standard, and you run less risk of breaking the string..
...it sound nice being more grave too..and since they are heavier strings they dont sound floppy like lighter gauges would do tuned down
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
Also alot of the time you get a sortof deeper sound when you hit the low E which some people like..
^this coming from the guy who said if you couldnt read sheet music you werent a guitarist.

ON TOPIC: its WAY too short to be an article, and IMO its sort of common sense why people tune down. to me theres 2 main reasons. they need to (voice, heavier strings) or they want to(lower notes, strings sound 'looser' etc)
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by mtl's_god
Also alot of the time you get a sortof deeper sound when you hit the low E which some people like..

A sort of deeper sound? It IS a deeper sound.
the neck can burst?? how can a neck 'burst'?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^ I think he just means it'll snap or break or something lol
There is no place else to go
The theater is closed
Some people find it easier to play faster. Take Slayer for example, practicaly everything is in Eb.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
^this coming from the guy who said if you couldnt read sheet music you werent a guitarist.

ON TOPIC: its WAY too short to be an article, and IMO its sort of common sense why people tune down. to me theres 2 main reasons. they need to (voice, heavier strings) or they want to(lower notes, strings sound 'looser' etc)

agreed on every single word
most GNR is half step
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
Drop down half a step for more tension so bends are easier, also easier for the vocalist. It also gives it a deeper sound and is gentler on the neck and bridge.
Why is it easier to sing with this tuning? If you play a song on the same key as the original(on standard tuning) it would be just the same. If you drop the key of the song then it makes a little sense.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

some peoples voices are deeper and so their comfort zone would be lower... so they would strain their voices less if the song was tuned down half a step
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I dont think that this article has enough substance to be submitted, I wouldn't do it.
i use that tuning because i can use a normal string gauge but its not a tight . its easier to bend and shred IMO
Quote by Mudvayne_4_Life
I heard Toni Iommi was the first. IDK if that's correct or not though.

its correct, Tony Iommi lost the tips of two fingers on his left hand while working in a metal factory, so he started using melted bottles to replace the tips, but since his fingers were still tender he just detuned it to lower the tension and the pain.
Quote by UniverseZero
its correct, Tony Iommi lost the tips of two fingers on his left hand while working in a metal factory, so he started using melted bottles to replace the tips, but since his fingers were still tender he just detuned it to lower the tension and the pain.

People we're tuning down before Iommi. Like Hendrix.
Quote by mattyyy
People we're tuning down before Iommi. Like Hendrix.

in the 1400s and earlier, people were using alternate tunings.

and I prefer C# standard
Quote by UniverseZero

Yes, he was going to quit playing guitar until he was inspired to keep playing by Django Reinhardt who also lost two fingers in an accident.