Ok, I got the Guitar World "GuitarDVD How To Play Hard Rock & Heavy metal Guitar: The Ultimate DVD Guide" by Andy Aledort, and there are two things here I don't quite understand myself.

In Figure 7 of the 60's and 70's section, there are two symbles used that I don't understand, and are not in the back of the book:

first:

------------
------------
-7---------
----9-7----
---------(9)
------------

What does the () around the 9 mean here?

and then later there's a tie that is dashed instead of being solid, what does that mean?
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Jun 16, 2006,
im not sure but it could mean u play that note soft

as for the dashed tie, i have no idea

edit: well the dashed tie could mean u let the note fade out, but im not sure, thats just a guess.
Behringer V-tone GM108
Epiphone SG
Last edited by Kdub at Jun 16, 2006,
Possibly that the note is optional?
Maybe if the book was showing you how to use scales it could be a note that isnt actually in the scale, but still works.
i think it means harmonic. but i dont know
Johnny wishes he was famous
spends his time alone in the basement
with Lennon and Cobain and
a guitar and a stereo.
i would say its pinched harmonic
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
It's not a harmonic. Harmonics would be <5>

That's a soft note, or an optional one. You don't have to play it. If it's a transcription of a recording it could mean a note sounded accidentally, or one tied in the with the previous.
Well, it's close to what he would play, but not exact, for royalties reasons.

But thanks a lot. I think it may just be a soft note in this case listening to the dvd... or not played at all I dunno, got some more listening and playing to do.

But as for that dashed tie, I looked in the back of the book again, and found it... but I just want to check and make sure... does it mean a tied rythm?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
The (9) means that some people hear the note and other don't. It is kind of like saying "We are not sure this note is supposed to be in here, but if there is a note there on purpose, this is it" and it could also mean the artist made a mistake by hitting that note, and since it wasn't intentional it wasn't as strong.

So basically, it means it is optional and to use your ear to figure out if it's in the song.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Is there a note after that one? Sometimes notes in brackets refer to what pitch you are bending the string up to the sound of. So if for example if there were a 7 after that one, you would bend the A string from the 7th fret up to the sound of the 9th, and then play the 7.
With the tie thing, could you post the tab for us to see?
Here's a pic, it's small because I had to resize it to fit this site's image constraints .

Ok, I think I've figured it out actually... after studying the back of the book, I've come to the conclusion that the dashed tie is his representation of a normal tie, in trying to keep that notation seperate from say a legato slide, or H.O./P.O..

Thanks for the help.

-Outside Octaves.
Attachments:
figure-7-a-la-purple-haze2.jpg

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Jun 16, 2006,
I think the tie thats dashed means vibratto, the other means muted or really soft?
Gear
-Ibanez Soundgear SRX3EXQM1 (yeah, long name)
-Fender Rumble 100

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
The tie means a rhythmic tie meaning you hold it for both notes and start using vibrato on the second part of the note. The (9) means that you play it softly.
Last edited by ferretman at Jun 16, 2006,