I'm trying to get a real ballsy metal sound but clear at the same time. Think Killswitch Engage, I really want to achieve close to that kind of meat. My set up is Gibson V with EMGs and an Engl Screamer Combo. The metal sound on the Engl is great but needs a bit of a pump. Killswitch use Maxon overdrive pedals (I think) but which one? Has anyone got this kinda meaty sound with an overdrive pedal and a tube amp?
erm killswitch tend to have a lot of midrange in their sound, give a really ballsy tone, i think ou should be able to gain a good enough metal sound from the ENGL if its EQ'd correctly
^^ I can get a real nice tone out of it but when I palm mute and basically play chunk it's just not quite there. I'm completly happy with my Engl I just want a little more metal.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
erm killswitch tend to have a lot of midrange in their sound, give a really ballsy tone, i think ou should be able to gain a good enough metal sound from the ENGL if its EQ'd correctly

If you can't get a metal tone from an ENGL, you're either a dumbass or your taste in tone is so poor you shouldn't have bought an ENGL anyway and stuck with your SLAMMING MG's...their tone is totally CRUSHING.
Mg's they're those really good metal amps aren't they?!!!

Don't flame me when all I'm doing is trying to get some advice. I love my Engl and the tone but wondered if an overdrive pedal would have a good effect on my sound.
Quote by sashki
Aparently, they use Ibanez Tubescreamers, or Maxon OD808's, which are basically tubescreamer copies.

Might be getting myself a Tubescreamer then. Which is also my xbox live gamertag. I really don't know why I just said that.
Quote by Vindication
If you can't get a metal tone from an ENGL, you're either a dumbass or your taste in tone is so poor you shouldn't have bought an ENGL anyway and stuck with your SLAMMING MG's...their tone is totally CRUSHING.

you sir, are an idiot. killswitch have framus dragon heads and peavey 6505's, but they use overdrives to beef the sound up a little. a little OD can be a very useful tool in adding a little girth to metal amps.

threadstarter: i'd recomend looking into a maxon OD9. it's the one killswitch used on the end of heartache. it'll pump the mids up a little and really fill things out. pretty much sound like it's exactly what you need.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
you sir, are an idiot. killswitch have framus dragon heads and peavey 6505's, but they use overdrives to beef the sound up a little. a little OD can be a very useful tool in adding a little girth to metal amps.

threadstarter: i'd recomend looking into a maxon OD9. it's the one killswitch used on the end of heartache. it'll pump the mids up a little and really fill things out. pretty much sound like it's exactly what you need.

Yea i would agree with this........gpderek09 is pretty much the authority on decent high gain sounds around here....
^

i wouldn't say THE athority. brad (genocide) and dave, among others, you should really pay attention too as well.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Thank you for all your help guys.
I'll be buying a Maxon OD-9 as soon as I can.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565