Ok I'm looking for a metalish tone e.g. metallica, megadteh, yada ydada, I'm considering buying the Marshall DSL 401 combo as I (foolishly) started out with an MG15. However, my guitar isnt exaxctly amazing either, It's an Ibanez GSZ with the stock pups etc.

So heres the thing, will I need to upgrade my guitar to do the amp justice? Also, will I be able to turn it down to bedroom playing levels? As i'll be using it in there most of the time, and I don't want the nieghbours on my back. Any opinions etc are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.
Always go with a new amp over a guitar unless you really hate playing the guitar you've got.

As for the amp I can't really comment as I've never used one.
I started off with a Squire starter pack - so the strat was the first thing from my gear to get replaced. But amp will do more for your tone. My strat was difficult to play, and so I thought Id go guitar first because I wanted playability and did not need amazing sound. But if you are looking for a better sound, go for the amp! The Marshall all tube combos do sound good from all the sound clips I hear - but Im not sure about your genre. Try the Gear & A Thread, theres a sticky from Dave_MC I think with soundclips of the DSL401
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Quote by thx119
Ok I'm looking for a metalish tone e.g. metallica, megadteh, yada ydada, I'm considering buying the Marshall DSL 401 combo as I (foolishly) started out with an MG15. However, my guitar isnt exaxctly amazing either, It's an Ibanez GSZ with the stock pups etc.

So heres the thing, will I need to upgrade my guitar to do the amp justice? Also, will I be able to turn it down to bedroom playing levels? As i'll be using it in there most of the time, and I don't want the nieghbours on my back. Any opinions etc are welcome too.

Thanks in advance.

I tried it the other day and couldn't really get any good metal sounds out of it, but then again i do love my gain, and this lacks it.
i think the answers to your two questions are yes and yes.

you mean old metallica (pre MOP) right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Joel sent me some clips of Metal on his DSL 401 and it was awesome. Check with him!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Try getting a JCM800 and then buying an overdrive, not distortion, pedal like the Zakk Wylde or Tube Screamer. It will sound amazing and will most likely give you your tone.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by Gabel
Joel sent me some clips of Metal on his DSL 401 and it was awesome. Check with him!

interesting.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?