Im gonna buy a delay pedal, but Im torn between the DD-3 and the DD-6. The reverse sounds cool, but Im doubting whether it will have a practical use. Any thoughts or suggestions?
i have a dd-3 and its pretty fun to use. if money isnt an issue then go with the dd-6 since it basically can do what the dd-3 does plus more.
Unfortunately, money is an issue, but im willing to spend the extra 50 to get the DD-6 if its worth it.
DD3 = nice rather simple delay pedal

DD6 = hours and hours of fun to be had with ****ing around with the thing. The fancier delay pedals are the funnest thing a guitarist can ever have
though according to the people on here some of the slightly cheaper ones like the Digitech Digidelay don't sound much worse and are a lot cheaper (though the Digitech has only 3 or 4 seconds of time for loops, with the 5 seconds in the DD6 you can allready get some pretty neat stuff going on)
and tap tempo is also a usefull thing
thats pretty f8cking pursuasive...now im really torn, but I might just have to go with the DD-6
Quote by HeartInACage
thats pretty f8cking pursuasive...now im really torn, but I might just have to go with the DD-6

yeah, I'm a sucker for delay pedals
I listen to way too much progressive and psychedelic rock
Also, DD6's have two outputs which can come in useful.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
true, but now that ive gone up to the extra price, are there any other delays (preferably analog) that have similar functions? My friends got a memory man and I love it, but its waay to pricey and doesnt have hold or reverse functions which i really like.
^Echo Park, but it's not analog. You won't find an analog delay with all of the features you want for cheap. I noodled with a DD-3 the other day and just made is oscilate for a while until they told me to stop. Thought I'd share.

Also, does your name come from Julian Casablancas or Tennessee Williams?
The Strokes my friend (so yeah Casablancas), but Ill check out the Echo Park, and i assumed that most analogs would be out of my price range, so no big deal.
Always cool to find a fellow fan, I ask because Julian actually got that line from T. Williams.
Quote by utsapp89
^Echo Park, but it's not analog. You won't find an analog delay with all of the features you want for cheap. I noodled with a DD-3 the other day and just made is oscilate for a while until they told me to stop. Thought I'd share.

Well none of these are.

The most fully featured analog delays are probably the Electro Harmonix Memory Man and then various boutique stuff (the Diamond Memory Lane is one hell of a crazy analog delay pedal). And there are a couple of simpler ones out there (Ibanez AD9 which is not too expensive, a used Boss DM2 or DM3...theres an old MXR delay too). Visualsound also have a pretty good one in combination with a chorus.

if you want to move up in the area of digital delays theres the Boss DD20 and Line 6 DL4. Both are around the same area in features (around 16 seconds of delay time and tons and tons of delay modes). I've read many reports of problems with the build quality of the Line 6 (switches not working correctly) but overall I've seen more people using them in general (even the relatively tone-freak types).

And if you want to go even high range than that you get rack mount delay units.
If you go with the DD6 you might as well spend 20 more for the DD20. That has SO much more and its really nice. Its prob the last delay ill ever need. (it has more than enough of everything and its boss's best delay, which is their best effect)
utsapp89 youre on whatsthatsound.com arnt you? im sure i have seen youre name somwhere.

Anyway i just bought a dd3 off ebay for £65! although it hasnt arrived so i cant really comment.
......keeping down the underground
Analog and Digital is like tube and SS without the infinite range of difference ......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Is the DD-20 really worth the extra bills? Its also absurdly larger and seemingly extremely harder to figure out. I know that sounds stupid, but i have a very finite amount of space (not to mention an absence of money)
i guess the main question you should be asking is what kind of sound your looking for.
if your doing trippy psychadelic stuff, you might want the added features of the DD-6.
i have one, and i actually use the Reverse alot. Its good for filling space since im the only guitarist in the band.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
But yeah, we do trippy stuff, but the other guitarist has a memory man that i can use occasionall but is limited in the 'effects' such as the reverse and loop. I really have no idea which to choose
It's the curse of knowledge, lad !!!

Ignorance is bliss........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
tis true my friend....and with every good/bad review i read of each the DD-3,DD-6,DD-20 my opinion changes.

Are the extra features of the DD-20 REALLY worth it? Or are they cool for the first week?
Well it depends what you're doing. I got mine and im not a delay freak or anything and i have yet to figure out half the stuff on it (i havent tinkered with it too much) Its a really nice delay and its got more than you'll ever need but its digital so unless you're a tone freak then go for it (its just 20 more than the dd6)

(180 on MF i dunno about other places)
^ Daymn, prices in the US are different (and cheaper) than in the UK.

US prices on Boss delay pedals - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=boss+delay

UK prices on Boss delay pedals - http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=boss+delay&m=Brands&c=Products&r=Price+Range

There's a $20 difference between the DD-6 and the DD-20 in the US and in the UK there's a £60 difference - that's over $100!

Since there's not much difference in price I'd go for the DD-20. I myself am looking to get a delay pedal some time in the future and would've liked to go with the DD20 but it's too pricey, really.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Wouldnt it be cheaper in the US? 165pounds is certainly more expensive than 180$US. But yeah, i think im gonna have to go with the DD-20, or maybe the DD-6. The DD-3s out though. Thanks guys for all the help.
^And thats serious, not sarcastic
serously its only 20 more bucks (it used to be somthing like 60 about a month and a half ago) id go ahead and get it. i don't see a reason why not
doesnt the DD-20 allow you to save 4 custom settings as well? i know the Boss Drive Zone does.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page