My goal is to be able to shred like yngwie, which type of picking will get me there fastest? Economy or Alternate. Ive been Alternate picking since ive started playing, and im not sure if i want to go on to Economy picking. The guitar book i am using uses alternate picking unless you are going in to a sweep, and it is speed mechanics for lead guitar. So please give me your advice you guys and thanks in advance, i might post this in the shred forum as well to get the shredders input.
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
Why not learn all three (alternate, economy and sweep)?

That way... you get the pick of the bunch and can change between them according to the passage you're playing.

Don't stick to one style of picking, they're all there for a reason.

Chances are, someone of Yngwies calibre does just that - adapts to the situation.

Also... with those excercises in SPMFLG - you don't have to alternate pick them. Adapt them to suit what you want to learn.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Jun 16, 2006,
I don't entirely understand all the different types of picking, but from what i think i know, surely economy is the best type for all siuations?
Thanks, I think im just going to learn all 3 types
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
Quote by mikb
I don't entirely understand all the different types of picking, but from what i think i know, surely economy is the best type for all siuations?

If you want a smooth sound and economic approach, yes.

Different songs/situations/lines are going to call for different techniques - most of the time, based on the sound and dynamic the guitarist wants to use.

Quote by SlashandClapton
Thanks, I think im just going to learn all 3 types

Please, do.
Quote by SlashandClapton
My goal is to be able to shred like yngwie, which type of picking will get me there fastest?

Chances are, also, someone of YM's caliber actually enjoyed the learning process
and wanted to learn as much about playing as they could in order to play WELL,
not just fast.

You my friend are just looking to avoid doing as much "work" as you can and get it
over with as fast as possible. That really doesn't bode too well about your chances
of reaching your goal.
I may have misworded myself then or you may have misunderstood my intentions, i am willing to practice around 10 hours a day every day forever to reach my goals. I enjoy learning everything on guitar i probably just mis-worded myself.
Yngwie? Man you're gonna have to practice 25 hours a day!! But I guess it's possible. That guy pics fast and CLEAN, accuracy is what you have to watch out for, not speed.
You should learn all 3 but you might want to master alternate picking first then move on to the other 2.
"This is gunna blow my cover but I like the FedEx driver because he's a drug dealer and he doesn't even know it"-Mitch Hedberg RIP
Last edited by friendoftheend at Jul 25, 2006,
Like friendoftheend said, you should ideally learn both economy and alternate picking eventually, but master alternate picking first. If you try and learn both picking styles at the same time, chances are you'll just confuse your picking hand and end up doing a sloppy mixture between the two.
Neither approach will really limit your speed- Gilbert and Petrucci are both alternate pickers, whereas Yngwie and Frank Gambale favour economy picking.
Guys like Michael Romeo, Michael Angelo and Rusty Cooley change between the two.
In theory at least, economy is faster for some licks and more logical.

Both approaches give a different sound- alternate picking a more aggressive, staccato sound, economy picking a smoother sound.
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron