Okay so I know that Vai uses a Carvin Amp. I also know that he uses DiMarzio Evos. Well I am rebuilding a strat with the same pup configuration as his, only with out the Evos, because I dont want such touchy pups. Does anyone know if his hums are coil split or tapped or what? I am setting it up to get pretty much the same tone as his guitar. Any suggestions.

And please dont tell me to buy a Carvin amp or Evos. Because I wont.

But thank yall in advance for the help.
Uh, you arent gonna get his tone without evolution pickups and/or a carvin amp. end of story.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
I hate to say it, but the evo's are a big part of his sound, and I'm pretty sure he dosn't tap them.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
And besides, Vai has a LOT of guitars, and each has a different tone... and no guitar of his is more unique than Evo, his baby. Something about it is just better, according to him at least, and its true, it sounds different from any other guitar. He plays a standard strat in some songs, and such, but if you want to sound like his main axe, Evo... Nobody can. Closest you can get is throwing a pair of Evolutions into a guitar and playing through a Carvin Legacy.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
I will honestly say, that the pickups will not make much of a different in making you sound more like Vai. Maybe you'll hear the difference, maybe you won't. It probably won't be close to a slightly significant change. But if you really want pickups that sound like Vai's but are not so touchy to playing, the closest you can get is probably Air Norton for neck and I don't know what you'd use for the bridge because his Evo's are quite complex in sound.

On Evo, he doesn't tap or coil split anything.

If you aren't going to get a Legacy (his signature Carvin) then you virtually cannot get his tone. Maybe you can get close, but if you ever heard the Carvin you understand that the way it's voiced is very hard to imitate.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
Sorry. You won't get even close to his sound without either the Legacy or the Evos. Sorry man, but you're sorely mistaken if you think you can get even MARGINALLY close to his sound without using the Evos.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Well with a stock Strat, I can play "For The Love Of God" with stock Fender pickups and a Hot rails in the bridge, through a Peavey Transtube amp, and get an identical sound to the way its recorded. I can also play the duel from Crossroads and get very close to his sound. I was only asking, maybe I should have clarified, about his versatility from the pickup sounds, I.E.; if his were split or tapped or something like that. Because I want a similar set of options from my new guitar. Trust me its not from the amp or the guitar, thats only a tiny part of it. His sound comes from him, not the electronics. You can emulate anybodies sound if you try hard enough.
Well with a stock Strat, I can play "For The Love Of God" with stock Fender pickups and a Hot rails in the bridge, through a Peavey Transtube amp, and get an identical sound to the way its recorded. I can also play the duel from Crossroads and get very close to his sound. I was only asking, maybe I should have clarified, about his versatility from the pickup sounds, I.E.; if his were split or tapped or something like that. Because I want a similar set of options from my new guitar. Trust me its not from the amp or the guitar, thats only a tiny part of it. His sound comes from him, not the electronics. You can emulate anybodies sound if you try hard enough.

No you didnt, trust me, its no where near for the love of gods tone....

Record it please.

And what?! lol
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Okay, when I get my strat rebuilt I will record a few of Vais songs, just to prove that it is a tone that CAN be emulated. I mean dont feel bad that you cant do it. Not many people can play something exactly the way its supposed to sound, you know the way the pro does it.
If you can already get his tone (which i doubt) then why do you start a thread asking how to set up your guitar to get it?
Quote by ClaptonRules

Wtf?? Seriously, you went off on around 7 different tangents there.

No way a setup like that can emulate Vai's tone....IMO, the tone in that song is beautiful, and there is no way you got it with that setup......

Sorry....maybe you don't hear the descrete differences in his tone....only his setup will truly get it.

And it you got it already, why are you asking us how to? And you title yourself a pro player and say we can never top to play like the pros? I may not be vai, but I highly doubt you have the skill to back up what you said.
Last edited by ibanez4life SZ! at Jun 17, 2006,
A stock strat with hotrails.

Idiot.

Not to be a prick, But I doubt you can play for the love of god straight through, let alone note for note.
So quit bragging till you back it up. Its pretty convenient your guitar needs to be rebuilt.
Your not a pro, Nor will you ever be. So give it up. We dont care that you think you can play FTLOG

I'd get some strong pickups. A nice reverb pedal. Use your neck pickup, Put on the reverb pretty heavily. Then use a REALLLLY minute amount of chorus to simulate doubled tracks.
Alot of vais sound is in his amp and technique though.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."