to harmonize guitar parts, what do you have to do? I go 2 steps higher, is that right?
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
You go 3 notes up the scale or something liek that
i believe theyre called 3rd's
its just a general rule, id use whatever sounds good tbh.
i thought they were seconds^
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
lol...dont look at me i know **** all music theory except that out of the back of tab books lol.
i need a teacher
^seconds? Eh? Uh, no. You can harmonize with any interval you want to. Do a search on the forums, you'll find about a million threads on harmonizing.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
can anyone just give me a straightforward answer???
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
oK.. no u dont just go two steps higher.

Find the scale your using
And harmonise the notes with others from that scale
Some bands use 3,4 or 5 notes up.

that work for you?
Last edited by richwatkinson at Jun 16, 2006,
Not really you need to know your scales really although im not an expert on it so im not really sure though, but if you play in Am (simply because it has no sharp or flats and is easier to begin with) if you play for instance A(5th fret E string ), B(7th fret E string), C(5th fret A string)
the to harmonize in thirds, you would play C(th fret A string) D E(12th Fret E string) To harmonize. this would be done similtaniously by two differnet guitarist.

1st Guitarist
E|-5---7---8-------------------------------------------
2nd Guitarist
E|-8---10---12----------------------------------------

Essentisally you would play the same note in the scale of the realtive minor or major.

so Am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8(the octave)
A B C D E F G A (the octave)

C major
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8(the octave)
C D E F G A B C(the octave)

if you played the second note of Am (b) you would play the second note of C major (d)
that is simple although i proabably havnt explained it well. You can also harmonize in fiths or anything atall although somethings will sound bad, I think im not 100% though, Just try thirds to begin with because the sound nice and if you play in Am or C major then its even simpler.
Sorry if you didnt understand that.
Awesome lesson SD. A couple questions though as my music theory is far from where I want it:

Note that the interval between D and F is a MINOR third, not a major one. This will bring out the characteristics of your harmonization and key. Notice that all the notes are in the key of C (except for the A# and harmonized C#, which is used as a passing tone in this case. )!

I'm confused what do you mean the interval is a minor third?

Also the A# you're talking about, what do you mean you used it as a "passing tone"? Like an accidental just to spice up the riff?(I don't have my guitar on me so I'm kinda lost to try it out).

Also, how does Contrary harmonies work, just like similars, in key, but moving in different directions?

Thanks!

Bry