Hey everyone,

I just did a search on this and I didn't find any threads pertaining to this topic, so here goes.

I'm looking to get a Peavey Classic 30 sometime in the near future. I'm mostly a metalhead, but I need great cleans as well. I know the Classic 30 can provide the cleans and bluesy overdrive I need for lighter stuff, but it can't handle metal that well.

However, I have a Boss Metal Zone pedal, which is obviously designed to turn the gain to 11 and rip the knob off.

My question is, for people who have used this combination: How well does the Classic 30 work with the Metal Zone? That_Pink_Queen tells me the Classic 30 works great with distortion pedals, but just to be safe, I want to get some more opinions.

Thanks in advance!

--Vindication
actually, i used to use that exact same combination. it sounded pretty good. now i have a boss me-50 so i use the distortion on it, but the mt-2 sounded good to me whn i used it. but like you said its mostly made to turn the gain waayyy up, and i can get more variety out of my me-50, plus it has delay and mod effects and i love having that on my tone so just havin the mt-2 wasnt for me. woah sorry got a little off there. anyway yeah to me the mt-2 sounds good with the classic 30
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I actually own this exact combination and yeah it works well together. If you have the patience the metal zone can be a great pedal if you dont mind turning a few knobs to find what your looking for.
Thanks a lot, you guys.

I don't mind tinkering around with it to get the tone I want; I just had to see if it would get me the tone I'm looking for (i.e. Kill Em All-era Metallica, Randy Rhoads, Rust in Peace-era Megadeth).

I don't want as much versatility with my distortion, Inanez, because I'm basically only going to be experimenting with bluesy overdrives and metal distortion, and nothing in between - the Classic 30 can do the bluesy stuff and the Metal Zone can do the metal stuff.

My Metal Zone doesn't sound nearly as good as it can because I'm playing it through a Vox AD15VT and modeling amps suck tone so they can process it for modeling better; and I have no FX loop to run it through, so the Metal Zone's tone is really altered by the signal processing.
I told ya it worked good

Depending on the metal you want, you might be better off with a booster. With high gain tubes and a strong boost you can boost it up to Metallica type tone without any problems.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The Metal Zone can sound good as long as you have the patience to sit down and twiddle the knobs. Its not all rip your head off gain and icepick treble like everyone might think. I managed to get a great heavy grunge like tone out of it when paired with a Vox AC30CC2X and it has gallons of sustain without being annoying.

Its a good pedal and it just needs to be adapted to each application.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I told ya it worked good

Depending on the metal you want, you might be better off with a booster. With high gain tubes and a strong boost you can boost it up to Metallica type tone without any problems.

Problem is, I already have a Metal Zone, and I don't want to spend any more than necessary (for a booster and new tubes).

And besides, getting new high-gain tubes would probably ruin the clean qualities of the amp.

VINDICEDIT:

Oh, and I plan on trying the Classic 30 out sometime, but neither Sam Ash or Guitar Center have them in stock.

Is the Peavey Delta Blues anything like the Classic 30? I think that's the closest thing Sam Ash has in stock, and Guitar Center doesn't carry Peaveys.
Last edited by Vindication at Jun 16, 2006,
To be honest i hate Metal Zone sounds, and id reccomend you to get another amp, since you can get the nice Tube Overdrive (instead of boring SS OD). I think a used Marshall JCM800 or JCM900 is a good choce, since they have awesome cleans and light sounds, but can do awesome metal tones with an OD.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
To be honest i hate Metal Zone sounds, and id reccomend you to get another amp, since you can get the nice Tube Overdrive (instead of boring SS OD). I think a used Marshall JCM800 or JCM900 is a good choce, since they have awesome cleans and light sounds, but can do awesome metal tones with an OD.

I'm buying on eBay...I can only afford $350 max or so.

Get me a JCM800 for $350 and you've got yourself a deal, man

I talked to a guy at Sam Ash and he said a Jack Daniel's combo sounds very similar to a Classic 30. Does anyone know if this is true? They don't have a Classic 30 or a Classic 50 in stock and I want to try it out before buying it; and I was hoping I could just try the Jack Daniel's.
Quote by TUMFP
i got my Peavey C30 at Guitar Center...it was used, but i dont see why they wouldnt carry peavey

It's just not one of their brands...they don't carry ESP either.
I was going to get an ESP originally, then they didn't have any at GC.

In any case, I think if others have had success with that combination then you should too, as long as you dial in correctly. If you need a fair amount of gain, push the tubes and throw in the distortion.
I have a classic 50 with awesome cleans and does a good classic rock. Also I have a digitech death metal pedal that does the medal pretty well. I have the Classic 50 in mint condition for sale for cheaper than a new classic 30. Ill give you the link to the classifieds if you want it.
Uggh.... digitech death metal......... uggh
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Uggh.... digitech death metal......... uggh

- I hate that pedal.

I'm getting a Classic 30 for about $300-$350, and I really don't need anything louder than that.

30 all-tube watts is already a bit too loud for me.
uggh.......don't quote it will ya....... seeing it's name makes me sickz.......uggh
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
So does anyone know if a Peavey Jack Daniel's 1x15 combo is very similar to the Classic 30?

Oh, and an attenuator question...I found a "Volumizer " for the Peavey Classic 30 on eBay. It says it goes in the effects loop...is this anything like an attenuator, or is it just a ripoff?

VINDICEDIT:

I know attenuators get attached to the speakers, but I want to know if this will have the same effect, or if I should just get an attenuator. I'm living in an apartment and I can't crank even my 5 watt solid-state Vox DA5, let alone 30 watts of all-tube power.

VINDICEDIT AGAIN:

And yes, I do know that he's keyword spamming with all those different Volumizers, but nevertheless, I want to know if that's what I'm looking for or if I should get an attenuator.
Last edited by Vindication at Jun 17, 2006,
Personally i like to use the amp's onboard distortion for everything, and use my ME-50 for everything else like mods and delays
Quote by Hey Websta !!!
Personally i like to use the amp's onboard distortion for everything, and use my ME-50 for everything else like mods and delays

Thanks for that completely useless comment...

I don't see many heavy metal guitarists rocking out on their Classic 30's.

Anyone mind answering my 2 questions about the Peavey Jack Daniel's and the Volumizer?
Quote by Vindication

Oh, and an attenuator question...I found a "Volumizer " for the Peavey Classic 30 on eBay. It says it goes in the effects loop...is this anything like an attenuator, or is it just a ripoff?

Its like another master volume. There was a thread about something similar somewhere. Unless you need really low volumes, I dont see why you would need it. I played a 40W tube Fender today and it can go pretty quiet.
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
Quote by Matt_M_2002
Its like another master volume. There was a thread about something similar somewhere. Unless you need really low volumes, I dont see why you would need it. I played a 40W tube Fender today and it can go pretty quiet.

Driving the tubes gets better overdrive tones, though...I was hoping for great bluesy overdrive at a very low volume (again, I live in an apartment).
But you are not driving the tubes with those Volumisers.
Do you think they'd still be selling Hotplates if you could buy something just as good for $20....
You won't be around forever girl, you gotta grab life with both hands.

Gear:
USA Fender Telecaster
Tweed Fender Blues Junior
Boss DD-3
Boss RC-2
Boss BD-2
Boss GE-7
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Handmade AB box
MXR Micro Amp Clone
the volumiser won't work if it goes in the FX loop. because the power, is in the power section, duh. not the pre amp section. no idea about the jack daniels.

if it hasn't been mentoned already, i suggest just boosting the OD on the classic. maybe a maxon OD 9 or boss sd-1.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile