So, I've been told that your picking motion should come mainly from your wrist. However, I recently was reading a guitar book, and it says the movement should come from your elbow. So... which way is correct? I would think it should come from the wrist, as it seems hard to make precise picking motions through your elbow....
Wrist none of that big strumming crap thats more so for show no good at all though, Only Green Day queers would do that lol.
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
if youre strumming, use your wrist. if youre picking like shredding of single notes, use your wrist. the wrist usually allows more control.
Definitly Wrist.
Gear
-Ibanez Soundgear SRX3EXQM1 (yeah, long name)
-Fender Rumble 100

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Wrist. But stupid bands use their arm to try and look better than they really are.
X> My Gear <X
-Jackson JS30RR Guitar
-Crate GT-15 Amplifier (Marshall MG half stack soon!)
-Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon Pedal
-Digitech RP100-A Modeling Processor
Wrist and forearm. It's like handwriting, lots of people draw the letters with their fingers or their wrists, but you're actually supposed to be using your wrist and shoulder girdle muscles.

I used to just use my wrist when strumming, but it wore me out quicker than using my wrist/forearm combo.

And I don't think that strumming with just your forearm is just an attempt to make you look better; I do it on my acoustic because my arm is short and my guitar is huge and it's hard to strum without moving my arm.
it doesn't matter really they both get it done...i usually have the habit of using my arm but sometimes i tend to use my wrist it doesn't matter.
Quote by myereadbik
And I don't think that strumming with just your forearm is just an attempt to make you look better; I do it on my acoustic because my arm is short and my guitar is huge and it's hard to strum without moving my arm.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from with acoustics. But bands like Green Day and Fall Out Boy (at least what I saw on late night talk shows) like to move their WHOLE arm when its not necessary. Its WAY exaggerated and it just annoys me.
X> My Gear <X
-Jackson JS30RR Guitar
-Crate GT-15 Amplifier (Marshall MG half stack soon!)
-Ibanez WD7 Weeping Demon Pedal
-Digitech RP100-A Modeling Processor
Quote by stratster23
Wrist none of that big strumming crap thats more so for show no good at all though, Only Green Day queers would do that lol.

or...just dont play like this guy...thats the best tip.
I play with my wrist, and I find that actually getting a wrist strap actually helps me a lot more. Nothing to big just like a little medical band or something, helps keep my wrist with tension but not enough to cause CTS or anything like that, I can actually go faster and more precise with it... but all in all, wrist.
If you strum too hard with your elbow you'll break strings/detune your strings/break the bridge on your acoustic (all have happened to me. I strum too hard). So be careful with elbow-powered strumming.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
hey im just gonna make a comment. Windmill? Pete Townshend sure as heck doesnt look retarted and he moves his entire arm.
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
They're both pretty tiring after a while. The whole arm strumming thing is just kinda of exaggerated and I think it looks good sometimes. Whatever floats your boat.
I definitely can see how it's irritating when overdone, but one of my buddies who plays in an instrumental/folk/rock/alternative band closes with this move where he stands on the toes of one foot, tucks the other behind his knee and spins around while windmill strumming. Over the top, yeah, but it looks good for finishing their set. It's good showmanship and entertaining. Not that watching a guitar/guitar/bass/keyboard/violin/cello/drum try to operate on a tiny, tiny stage isn't entertaining.

Windmill strumming doesn't work when it's the only move you can do. Wish I had a link to a video of The Living End on Letterman when their bassist climbed on top of his instrument and played down it. It was a sight. Must have been at least 5 years ago now.
Last edited by myereadbik at Jun 17, 2006,
Quote by myereadbik
I definitely can see how it's irritating when overdone, but one of my buddies who plays in an instrumental/folk/rock/alternative band closes with this move where he stands on the toes of one foot, tucks the other behind his knee and spins around while windmill strumming. Over the top, yeah, but it looks good for finishing their set. It's good showmanship and entertaining. Not that watching a guitar/guitar/bass/keyboard/violin/cello/drum try to operate on a tiny, tiny stage isn't entertaining.

Windmill strumming doesn't work when it's the only move you can do. Wish I had a link to a video of The Living End on Letterman when their bassist climbed on top of his instrument and played down it. It was a sight. Must have been at least 5 years ago now.

Gotcha covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa8CsDuB_AU

<3 youtube.
a mention of the living end! i love UG again. anyway, generally for strumming its fairly acceptable to use your elbow, although because of the extra movement you will tire faster. everything else should be from the wrist.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
i use both, watevas comfortable. Theres nothing wrong using your arms to strum sometimes i pull it up and down the neck of the guitar while strumming. Just wateva floats your boats dont worry bout all the guys being lame saying its try to look good. rock is rock
i use arm for barre chords and open chords, and ocasionally for power chords. For single notes and most of the power chords is wrist(but if im using power chords as a chord instead of just a riff or something its arm).
i use both arm and wrist but mostly wrist. it doesnt bring in those un-wanted strings sounds.for most of the power chords and single picks i use my wrist.
When I practice, I focus on keeping my wrist off of the guitar and relaxed and
moving around from the elbow. It's quite a bit harder to do this than stiffening
your arm and using only your wrist. The advantage is that having elbow control
allows for smooth movement between strings. When you get it down right, you
can fly across strings and it totally integrates your sweep and alternate picking
motions. When picking focuses on more of a single string, more wrist is blended
in.

You really do need both to effectively pick well. Anyone only using the wrist will
be a very disadvantaged picker.
Strumming=arm.
Chords=arm
Single notes=wrist.
Tremolo=wrist
Palm mute=wrist.

Hope this helps.
Quote by edg
When I practice, I focus on keeping my wrist off of the guitar and relaxed and
moving around from the elbow. It's quite a bit harder to do this than stiffening
your arm and using only your wrist. The advantage is that having elbow control
allows for smooth movement between strings. When you get it down right, you
can fly across strings and it totally integrates your sweep and alternate picking
motions. When picking focuses on more of a single string, more wrist is blended
in.

You really do need both to effectively pick well. Anyone only using the wrist will
be a very disadvantaged picker.

This guy has it. You basically should use your forearm for switching between strings and your wrist for single strings. However, it would be inefficient just to use purely wrist or purely forearm. It's a combination of both that will get you the best results. Another thing, tremelo picking is impossible at certain speeds without using some arm. It may seem like people use just their wrist but trust me they are using their forearm too.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
Last edited by JaYB06 at Jul 4, 2006,
If you do use your wrist and forarm and all of that make sure its in a decently straight line. The main thing to remember is when you strum its almost all in the wrist but dont use your arm that much that leads to you becoming more stressed cuz ur picking ur arm up and down over and over. making it eventually git soar if u play enough.
wrist mostly, arm for power chords or fast sweeps ive see, both wrist + arm during that
<< ESP LTD Deluxe H-1000 w/EMGs
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Ibanez IBZ10G 10 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
<< KOSS PRO3AA Headphones
Strumming should be movement combination of wrist and forearm.. dont move your whole arm.. just from you elbow down.
Ha dude that living end video was nuts I bet that guy broke a few basses learning that trick

and on the picking topic yeah I agree the best thing to do is use your wrist for normal picking but your arm for string skipping/strumming

never noticed the tremelo thing though
wrist. Also using your wrist is better if you're using an acoustic and don't have a pickguard as when you're using your wrist you're probably less likely to scratch your guitar (I know this from experience) Yeah I agree with xrawrockkillsx , it gives you more control.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.