Page 1 of 2
i would like some advice on guitar tricks. i'm an experienced guitarist but when i play i just stand there looking stupid does anyone know any good tricks to do on the guitar or with it besides pulling a hendrix and burning it? haha
look excited like Frusciante, but preferably without an erection.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Flip your guitar and kick like Yngwie.
Make faces like your having an orgasim like Steve Vai
Grove around like Joe Satriani.
Run around like Slash.
Quote by uterus
so he can purify his air, asshole.

My Rig:
Customized Squire Strat
Vox Valvetronix 100VT
Boss MT2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby
Ernie Ball strings
Eat your guitar while playing it. Not all at once, you've still got a show to play. Maybe have an extra guitar on stand by if you're especially hungry.
Gestating with all the other rats
Nurse said that my skin will need a graft I am of pockmarked shapes
The vermin you need to loathe
-The Mars Volta
i got a bunch

get on your frontmans shoulders
grab the neck and move your hand up and down rapidly
throw it up in the air and catch it with your face
spin it around on your strap
simply crowd dive
headbang
run around a lot
get on the ground on your side and run in a circle
learn karate and do flippy kicks
spin around spastically
or simply amaze the crap outta them with a guitar solo(but im no expert)
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Last edited by red star at Jun 17, 2006,
yeah he's right i think that stuff is for bassist how could you even catch a guitar like that anyways?
you just gotta move to the music and look like you are having a good time. you dont have to run around like an idiot, spin your guitar or throw yourself into the crowd to look like you are active. just kinda move your head to the music, walk around with the beat, and maybe climb some stuff. if you have a moniter, maybe put a foot on it, or if there is something else to step up ontouse that, but do it at a high point in the song so it fits. one thing i like to do is move the guitar around using my freting hand. if im playing a part that allows me to get a solid grip on the neck, i can move the guitar around in time to the music, which looks kinda cool.

dont resort to stupid stunts like fire or spins unless the show really calls for it. even if you do some of this extravagent stuff well it still looks bad because you dont need it and its completly tastless at times.
I think that the important thing is not to force yourself to look fancy with your guitar or else it would not seem natural, try getting into the music and make sure your mind isn't only distracted on doing everything 'perfectly' and you'll find that your emotions will control your actions on stage... but this has it's limits... because you still want to know what you're playing... haha.
I'll be your father, I'll be your mother, I'll be your lover, I'll be yours...
Play With ur heart and soul.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Play behing your head (hendrix), behind your back (vaughn). Lie your guitar on the floor, then kneel next to it and fingertap.
Also, I recently saw this awesome video of Los Lonely Boys, where the lead guitarist played a solo high up on the neck of his guitar, using the higher strings. The bassist stopped playing his bass and stood behind guitar dude, and played the bassline on the lower strings of the guitar. It was awesome.
EDIT: Oh yeah and play wiht your hand above the fretboard.
Quote by stratster23

Make faces like your having an orgasim like Steve Vai

No, Steve vai doesnt act like he's having an orgazem
his JEM has a whole in the back... where he... we'll.. you get the picture
climb on top of your cab. and do a backflip off NOTE: you probly will only be able to do this when your playing easy stuff like power chords, not while soloing
Quote by bambi_slaughter

how do you get a baby in a tupperwear container?
use the blender.
how do you get it out again?
tostitos.
i dont know...just do whatever you feel like....usually i head bang, play with the guitar behind my back/head (whichever i feel like doing), i usually walk around alot and if i see someone really going crazy or something i'll give them the devil horns.

~timepheonix
You're as important as your guitar. When you're on stage your guitar and you should make each other look good. When someone's up there and honestly getting into the music people will react positively. When you make fun of honestly and sincerity you look stupid. Just be yourself, if you're not feeling the windmill then don't try it.
Do what feels natural to you, there's nothing worse than watching someone looking embarrassed onstage.

Playing guitar behind your head's pretty easy, doing legato while punching the air in time to the beat with your picking hand is even easier, and the classic Townshend "Windmill arm" always goes down well. If you've got straplocks then the awesome thing where you throw your guitar around your body is bound to get some cheers, as long as you're on a big enough stage that you don't trash your stack/mic/fellow bandmember when you do it.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Dont stand there like a robot, move to the beat. For soloing?

Play behind your back
play with one hand
play with your ****in teeth!
My friend can play with his teeth. Sure he has no gums, but still, it's pretty cool.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
two handed tapping. get really good at legato and never use your right hand.
Wank onto it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Behind the head can go over well.... the first time. That's the problem with tricks, people eventually get tired of them. I just don't bother much anymore: if I find something funny I might do it once, but that's about it.
Play with one hand, fretting hand does hammer ons and pull offs, no picking, thats another hendrix style

EDIT: its not so much a trick, but some sweep picking is good for getting the crowd livened up
hue
Quote by Drone_
No, Steve vai doesnt act like he's having an orgazem
his JEM has a whole in the back... where he... we'll.. you get the picture

It's called a monkey grip - it's well known that Vai has a fetish for all things primate.

Best piece of advice someone gave me - enjoy yourself, ooze with confidence and just move around a bit. The crowd will feel good too.
Quote by sock_demon
Play with one hand, fretting hand does hammer ons and pull offs, no picking, thats another hendrix style

Yeah, that's a good one.
Has anyone seen the video of Hendrix at Woodstock, he does this thing where he kinda uses the vertical pole of his mike stand as a slide. 'Tis pretty cool.
Quote by CheckOutSerafin
I couldnt do that at all dude.

but wouldn't it be ****nig sweet if u could?
Quote by bambi_slaughter

how do you get a baby in a tupperwear container?
use the blender.
how do you get it out again?
tostitos.
If you want some good tricks check out Wilko Johnson, he was a real nutter in his prime days! I saw him at a small local gig the other day, obviously not as energetic because of his age, but still a good show.
Quote by MsterofPuppets7
but wouldn't it be ****nig sweet if u could?

Fuck yeah.

Quote by fireball85
If you want some good tricks check out Wilko Johnson, he was a real nutter in his prime days! I saw him at a small local gig the other day, obviously not as energetic because of his age, but still a good show.

What does he do then?
Lower your guitar so that the bridge is just a little higher than your picking hand when it is allowed to flop. As long as you can still play, you should feel loads more comfortable and powerful. Your guitar will also now swing slightly as you move. Now try standing with ur feet spread wider than you usualy would or try putting the leg beneath the neck on a monitor or similar. Or how about moving the guitar body so its more in the center than usual... this will probabaly gravitate to being vertical and sat on your knee for solos.

Bear in mind that all this is pointless if you can't still play to a reaonable standard, though...
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Last edited by orangeacid at Jun 18, 2006,
i have a sweet one... while you guyz finish a song... jus strum the open notes hard once and push and pull the neck of your gutiar which gives it a crazy vibrato kidna sound and use the strings behind the nut to do some insane stuff.. trust me it works...
wow i never thought you could do all this kind of stuff man...i don't get the catching your guitar with your face part but the rest of this stuff's pretty cool. hey has anybody seen that AC/DC video where Angus Young sticks the neck between Brian Johnson's legs? that's a pretty funny trick isn't it?
Quote by scult73
yeah he's right i think that stuff is for bassist how could you even catch a guitar like that anyways?

if you have to ask you'll never get it.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
do a hendrix and while you are holding a note, put your guitar on your crotch and make it look like the neck is your dick...
step forward and hold your guitar low when you're introducing a hot rhythm guitar riff... only one i can think of for now, but try watching some concert videos and see what other rhythm guitarists do
Quote by f0rs@k3n21
i have a sweet one... while you guyz finish a song... jus strum the open notes hard once and push and pull the neck of your gutiar which gives it a crazy vibrato kidna sound and use the strings behind the nut to do some insane stuff.. trust me it works...

definitely play with the strings behind the nut--do that one trick where you play a fifth fret harmonic (or a pinch harmonic) and then reach behind the nut and push the string up and down. sounds like a crazy whammy bar trick but looks cooler. also i like satriani's trick where he plays a pinch harmonic and then reaches under the neck with his LEFT hand and plays the whammy bar--pretty much any way of playing that doesn't look normal is cool looking.
Jesus i cant believe no-ones said this! Jump up and Down while banging your head!!!
Page 1 of 2