Hey all, i was just wondering if i compose a song in C Major, how can i add strings such as violen and cello to it? is it supposed to be in the same key?
RIG

Marshall MG 50DFX
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standered
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Yamaha APX5A
RP 350
If you want it to sound good, the strings should play in C major. Or, if you want a sad thing going on, you can play in G major (C harmonic minor).
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Thanks, how can i do that in powertab or guitar pro?
RIG

Marshall MG 50DFX
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standered
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Yamaha APX5A
RP 350
In powertab, you just pretend its another guitar part I guess, only using a midi sound for strings. Of course, if you give that to a string player they won't know what to do.

Sometimes strings in pop music will just outline the chords. Don't just put in barre chords, though: to the best of my knowledge nobody arranges barre chords for strings. Use triads or open voicings, probably.

As for lines, I haven't really studied counterpoint, so I just write lines on my guitar, see what sounds good, and put them in as string parts.
someone asked how to add cello to a guitar song, and Cor had a pretty detailed response. its informative, helpful, and a bit confusing. check it out here and see if it helps you at all.

the thing i sometimes do when composing for another instrument i dont play, is to look up some basic songs or lessons for that instrument online. the net is a great tool if you think to use it. you should be able to find some ideas on how these instruments are usually used in the context of a song, and then use that knowledge to write the part for your song. you have an infinite amount of resources at your finger tips, its good to use some of them.