Alright, now, before you get the wrong impression, I am not a complete n00b to floating bridges, I've had my Ibanez RG370 for a year now, but anyway, would you consider a "poorly set up" bridge as one that isn't parallel with the body? My inotation is fine, it stays in tune, but there's a little too much tension, when I slapped on my set of .10's and put it in Eb it was PERFECT, but now that I've brought it back up to standard the bridge has more of a slant to it. It doesn't really mess with my playing, but I've already had a burr in the saddle (which I fixed), and I don't know if the slant may cause any problems. Thank you all in advance.
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost."

Teh Space
wuts up, I own an an RG350ex and ive been having a little trouble with my bridge too. Its a bitch trying to set it up. As to your question, to my knowledge it shouldn't cause any damage to your guitar to have the bridge at a bit of a slant. but it may cause your action to be a bit to high. You might try using smaller strings like a set of .09's. But if your comfortable with the action, then it shouldnt make a difference what angle your bridge is set at.
Toler
Always adjust the bridge parallel to the body and try to make it as perfect as possible coz you dont want to get knife edges' problems later on. Adjust the spring tension vs. string tension.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Short Answer: You bought a guitar that was designed to last a couple of years, and
you wore it out. Inexpensive guitars will wear out, especially if not maintained
properly. Retuning to E with heavier guage strings, and without correcting the
springs/claw in the back could be a fatal error to a poorly built tremolo. That's part
of the reason some guitars cost $500 and others cost $2000, but I won't get into
that now...

Yes, the number of springs and the depth of the claw screws are the main thing in
setting a floating tremolo. 9's 2 or 3 springs, 10's 3 or 4 springs, 11's 4 or 5 springs,
each guitar IS different, but balancing a tremolo is of dire importance to maintaining
the playability, and endurance, of your guitar.

Be aware that the quality of your parts is key to their durability. Steel, brass, nickel, or "chromed" pot metal pieces of ****?

If you didn't pay much for your axe, then don't expect it to last very long if you don't
maintain it properly. If you want to upgrade an inexpensive guitar, then do it right.
Find the best part to suit your needs that you can afford.

If you want your inexpensive axe to last longer, or rejuvinate an old one you loved,
make sure you do the homework, and avoid the heartbreak.

I haven't checked out the repair/maintainance/modification forums yet, but I'm sure
I will soon.
Last edited by ZootCst at Jun 17, 2006,