Hey

Recently, i've really been wanting to replace my old squier piece (the one i learned on) and have been playing for 4 years with something better. Price is a big factor, but so is quality and sound. I've personally narrowed it down to two choices. Either a Halo Custom Guitar, which is on sale for $300 including case (originally $450 without case) or an Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top, also on sale for $380 without case. So, total would be $440, that's guitar and case. That's $140 difference. I've checked both guitars on Harmony-Central and both got good reviews. I'd especially like it if anyone who knows anything about the Halo guitar to give me feedback. What do the rest of you all think? Here are the links to the two guitars:

Halo Guitar:

https://www.shop.haloguitars.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=5&categoryId=3

Epiphone:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Classic-Quilt-Top?sku=518353
Heh, I thought it was the signature guitar of the game HALO!
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
go with the Epi definately, there is something insanely cheap about a guitar company with links to shoes on the same websight not to mention every guitar they make is hideous, look like someone was drunk while cutting the bodies out freehand on the bandsaw. THis one makes me want to go jag and tele shopping tomorrow:

LOOK its Ronnie James Dio's shoes, these make him 5'1" tall without them he's only 4'9"

Last edited by CustomCustom at Jun 16, 2006,
I didn't say that guitar. It was the "invert", which in my opinion is a bad ass guitar. It's a gibson les paul and fernandes ravelle rolled into one. WTH do shoes have to do with a guitar?
The fact that this small company is peddling shoes next to thier guitars just says cheap fly by night company to me. And this is close to the revelle but not quite, like I said looks like the bandsaw operator was cutting freehand while drunk. just my opinion.
The ravelle has 2 knobs (tone and a volume), this has 4 like the les paul. and i didn't say it was the ravelle, i said it was like it AND a les paul. A small custom shop doesn't have the marketability like a huge store........hmmmm.......like MUSICIANSFRIEND.COM does. The little guys gotta make money somewhere. The guitar has good reviews from an independent source (Harmony-central.com), and i think it looks good. If you don't like, fine. You're opinion has been noted, but stfu if you're just gonna keep talking trash. I'm not interested in your comments about shoes.....just the Epi and the Invert.
Ok, I had a LONG reply all written up, then my computer froze, so here's what you get.

Those "halo" guitars or pieces of garbage. The pictured ones look horrible, so I can't even imagine the abominations they ship out.

The Epi is a much better choice, BUT, there are even better options than that in the price range.

Look at these guitars:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top
Epiphone Vintage G-400
Washburn WI64
Agile AL-3000 (www.rondomusic.net is the only dealer. Since you were ok with buying from the guitar/shoe factory, you should be perfectly comfortable with rondo music.)

All four of those are excellent guitars. They beat the piss out of those halo guitars. I agree with CustomCustom. Those things look like someone came to work wasted and decide to continue using the bandsaw anyway. They're just poorly designed. If you REALLY like the look of that Halo, look up the real deal of that guitar. The Fernandes Ravelle. It's the original guitar that the halo is a knock-off of. It will be better quality, has a much better designed shape, and there is absolutely no chance it could get mixed up with a box of shoes while getting shipped from the factory.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Actually xenn99 i have a friend that has a 7 string randy rhoads with floyd rose licensed from guitars and it is a DAMN GOOD guitar one of the best i've ever played, i don't kno about the ravelle guitar but the maroon and light brown guitar i've played before and has AMAZING tone and feel. I love Halo guitars. IMO i would take one over the epi
Quote by RideTheAnger13
Heh, I thought it was the signature guitar of the game HALO!

haha same. But I'm not sure what the guitars are like maybe just try em and go for feel and sound.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Dude here we go again

I know what the ravelle is. That's the one i wanted originally, but i don't have $800 to spend. Obviously, you base guitars more on their looks and not their tone, like custom does. I know their guitars look weird, but i think the invert looks decent. But that's beside the point. I wanna know is if they sound good and are good quality, but you wouldn't know that for a fact would you? Thanks for the advice though on the other guitars, I'll look into those.
Hey Xenn99

I like the Epi standard & and Agile AL-3000, but i don't know why you think the epi standard is better than the classic. Maybe shed some light on this for me.
Quote by Davidpl85
Hey Xenn99

I like the Epi standard & and Agile AL-3000, but i don't know why you think the epi standard is better than the classic. Maybe shed some light on this for me.

The Standard PLAIN TOP is what I was referring to. The regular standard is just average. The Plain Top is all mahogany with a plain maple top. The regular standard, the classic, and the custom are all alder/mahogany bodies. That's ok, but if you want a real Les Paul sound you need a mahogany body and maple top. Not a flame maple veneer, but an actual maple top.

That's why the LP Standard Plain Top is better than the classic. It has better body wood, a better top, and all the same features you like about the Classic. It's also about $40 cheaper.

The Agile AL-3000 will be about the same as well. Plus, with shipping, they both end up being right around $400. So it really comes down to which you like better.

And, for the Ravelle, there is a cheaper model. It was in Guitar Player Magazine's "20 Budget Solidbodies." I'm looking at it right now. They show a price of $359 Retail/$179 Street. Even at that it looks a lot better than that Halo and seems to have better specs.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar