Okay well lets assume I know nothing about recording at all (because I don't) but I'm decent at guitar/singing/bass/kinda drums. I have the above mentioned computer the IMac G5 and I have Garage Band on it. This is all I have though and I don't know too much about Garage Band either. What I would like to do is record all of these instruments guitar lead and rythem and make a "song." All I know of that I would need is a microphone for my voice and the drums(might just use drums on Garage Band though) but I know nothing about what I would need pluging in the guitar and bass. Also could I record an acoustic onto Garage Band with the same microphone as the voice? Sorry I know nothing about recording but I'm really interested in it and I really want to learn so if you could please fill me in on that stuff and feel free to tell me other things that I didn't know to ask. Thank you.
Vocal mics need vocal mics (doh!) (Shure SM58 for example)
But basses, drums, and guitars need condensor mics (Shure SM57 for example)
Quote by stringmagician
vocal mics are much better on acoustic guitars than condensers too

That is totally dependant on the type of microphone (dynamic/condensor/ribbon, solid state/tube) and it's frequency response. Each mic has it's own sound, and we all have our own preferences to what sounds best.

I'll get to your question tomorrow amped =)
Quote by les_paul_01
In Soviet Russia, song copyrights you!
Last edited by Crazy Drummer69 at Jun 17, 2006,
Quote by Refixer
Vocal mics need vocal mics (doh!) (Shure SM58 for example)
But basses, drums, and guitars need condensor mics (Shure SM57 for example)

Vocals do not need vocal mics. An SM58 and an SM57 are almost identicle except an SM58 has a ballcapsule and windscreen and a SLIGHT difference in frequency responce. Neither of these mics are ideal for recording vocals, and actually a condensor mic is often preferred. Your best bet is just to go with an SM57 and use a Pop Sreen when you're recording vocals. The SM57 can be used on just about anything and is why it is the most popular microphone in the world. However don't be convinced into thinking you need a "Vocal" mic for vocals, because vocals in almost all studios are recorded on condensors.