I'm trying to help my cousin because he wants to play guitar, his not sure on what guitar to get and im thinking of a Fender Stratocaster, not the expensive one. How much does it cost and do you think its for a starter like him ? And what sort of small starter amp should he get ?
Do you think any fender is reasonable ? and what about the stratocaster ?
I'm assuming when you say Fender, you are talking about the $350 Mexican made Standard Stratocaster.

I don't know if you should get your little cousin a Fender just yet. Maybe if he has some experience in playing and you know he won't just stick it in his closet after a week, then I'd say go for it. If he can't play at all yet and you don't know if he will stick with it, then I'd say buy him a starter pack for 100-200$. A Squire or Behringer guitar pack should do the trick since he is a beginner.

If you are going the Fender route, then I'd suggest getting him a small Roland Cube 30 or a Peavey Rage 158.
Don't spend hundreds of dollars on starter guitars
Guitar is something that, especially kids, will drop very quickly, because it presents a level of difficulty. Buy something ****ty, or even a Squire or Ibanez starter pack. If he sticks with it for a long time and gets in lessons, then get a Strat.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Yea buy him something crappy like a used Squier and a crappy Marshall Mg.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Get him a cheap Ibanez and a cheap amp. Then after a couple of months is he still likes playing and learning, maybe get him lessons. Then at 6 months-1 year of playing and he still enjoys it, maybe get him a quality guitar.
I would buy the Squire '51.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

How about the Squire Telecaster they're meant to be more reliable and better quality than the Squire Teles.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
My God...Just because he's just starting out and all of you had sh*t gear when you started doesn't mean he should too.

Look at the higher end Squiers. Any that are made with Alder for the body wood should be fine. You want a guitar he'll actually enjoy playing instead of some POS that will make him want to quit.

For the amp, take a look at the Vox AD15VT. It should be great for a practice amp.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
how old is he?

cause if he's like 4 years old then spending over 100 dollars is probably just a waste of money
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Cal UK
How about the Squire Telecaster they're meant to be more reliable and better quality than the Squire Teles.

I really hope that was a typo, because teles are telecasters.
I'd recommend Ibanez GRX series, Squier Telecasters, MexiFenders, and those $100 Deans for first guitars.

Amp wise, Vox AD15VT is your best bet.
Atleast get him something of somewhat good qulaity, for two reasons:
1) He will enjoy playing on a decent guitar more than a cheap-o that would discourage him from playing.
2) If he doesn't like playing, a good guitar will have better resale value than a $99 Squier Bullet and a Drive amp.
Yea get him a Squire telecaster with a crappy Fender Frontman amp so he thinks its good.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by The Master Plan
Yea get him a Squire telecaster with a crappy Fender Frontman amp so he thinks its good.

Or, maybe they can actually get a good amp for him? I dunno. I'm just throwing it out there.

If he starts with a decent amp (like the Vox AD15VT) his ear should develop more quickly. I know that I just kept getting frustrated with my sh*tty first amp (Washburn BD12-very crappy). I tired everythign with it and just couldn't get the sounds I wanted from it. I guess that's probably why my MG sounded so good to me when I bought it. It was a huge step up in sound quality from the BD12. The MG. A huge step in sound quality. Yeah. The BD12 was THAT bad.

Get him a decent amp and a decent guitar. He wants a Strat, so get him a GOOD Squier Strat. Not just that POS bullet special, but one of the better ones that are made of alder. Be sure to try a few of them as well and pick the best one.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Are you talking about the mexican standard? They're more of a second guitar, I think. Unless you got him a second-hand one; just make sure you know your stuff to be able to check it's ok.
XENN99 If you like how the Mg sounds check out an all-tube amp. Those will blow you away if you think the Mg sounds good.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by JuSt BlaYzZz
get him a gibson les paul custom....thats pretty cheap

ur so funny...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Cocnut Rag
ur so funny...

hey, I got one after a year..

Threadstarter, do you play guitar yourself??
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by The Master Plan
XENN99 If you like how the Mg sounds check out an all-tube amp. Those will blow you away if you think the Mg sounds good.

Maybe you should read his post one more time, slowly.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
Xenn, the problem with buying young kids a guitar is that if he isn't disciplined he won't stay at it. A practice schedule and teacher is vital if you're going to be him something expensive.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
If he's serious and commited, get something like an Ibanez GR170, because it's a good quality electric for the price and it'll last. If he's learning just to look 'cool', get a Squire. Yeah, people say they're cheap and tacky but they aren't that bad for the price. Occassionally you get a good one that hasn't just been chucked together.

MICROWAVABLE SOCKS
Quote by wind88
Maybe you should read his post one more time, slowly.

Well it seems like he loves his Mg's tone.
Quote by Xenn99
If he starts with a decent amp (like the Vox AD15VT) his ear should develop more quickly. I know that I just kept getting frustrated with my sh*tty first amp (Washburn BD12-very crappy). I tired everythign with it and just couldn't get the sounds I wanted from it. I guess that's probably why my MG sounded so good to me when I bought it. It was a huge step up in sound quality from the BD12. The MG. A huge step in sound quality.

And if you look at his sig it has a smiley face next to his Mg so that shows that he loves it as well.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Just get a mexian stratocaster, they are cheap and excellent quality.
"And you will never hear surf music again..."
get him a squier strat for like $170 and a 15 watt amp for like $100
My Gear
Fender Jagstang
Squier Strat
Crate 120w 212XR
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Fender DG-100 Aucoustic
dude does anyone know if the threadstarter plays or if hes just buying one for his cousin???
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Quote by Xenn99
My God...Just because he's just starting out and all of you had sh*t gear when you started doesn't mean he should too.

Look at the higher end Squiers. Any that are made with Alder for the body wood should be fine. You want a guitar he'll actually enjoy playing instead of some POS that will make him want to quit.

For the amp, take a look at the Vox AD15VT. It should be great for a practice amp.

My Strat agrees with you :P
Quote by The Master Plan

I think he's just recommending it as a beginner amp
A little kid isn't going to be able to tell the difference between a paul reed smith custom 24 and a plywood no name strat copy. Stick with the cheap starter, and once he gets into it, maybe after a year or two, he'll be ready to step it up.