Page 1 of 5
For those who are into metal, have nothing better to do, those who dont know much about metal and for those that do, a massive article telling the history of metal and its genres and also the philosophy of metal! (i did not write this!!)

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/philosophy/

(WARNING! - Article is massive!)
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
That seems actually very interesting and from the parts I read, it ain't bull****. But it's too long for me to care to read stuff I know
this is very interesting
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Ive had it for ages, but just found it in my favourites list and thought, id share it!
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
and the question is raised, on what day did the lord create spinal tap? and couldnt he have rested on THAT day?

but yeah good find /looks for and dosnt find (cuz he's lazy) the headbanging emoticon
Awesome. Everyone should read this.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
woah

That was probably the most confusing thing I have ever read.
Booyah

Sinforsale....I guess you were right. I was wrong.
Quote by VomitalXX
Warning: Anus are extremely pretentious and are not to be trusted without skepticism. That said, this article holds merit.

I've since retracted my earlier statement about anus being "awesome."

I dunno.......the more I've read into it, the arrogance/pretentious levels are quite high..........still, they make some good points.

Vomital, could you recommend me some similar(but better sites) along the lines of anus?
Quote by Frobbage
Interesting article, I'd read some of it before.

I also read some of the Anus articles about nihilism and the like. Anyone have any opinion on those?

None of them have any support to them or substance, in the tradition of nihilism.
Quote by totenkopf
I've since retracted my earlier statement about anus being "awesome."

I dunno.......the more I've read into it, the arrogance/pretentious levels are quite high..........still, they make some good points.

Vomital, could you recommend me some similar(but better sites) along the lines of anus?

I know of none that deal with music directly. And also, I know of none that present Nihilism rationally which makes considerable sense. But, if you want actual and supported philisophical ponderances, the best place to look is in a book. I recommend A Critique of Pure Reason by Kant for starters into metaphysical thought. Give it a try.
Quote by VomitalXX
Warning: Anus are extremely pretentious and are not to be trusted without skepticism.

I agree.

Article's worth a read though.
I would read it if it had not been written for ANUS, any other site could have got the same information across in half the length.
Read the first half and skimmed the second half. Interesting stuff.
Read my post. Not this.
i never liked Anus after reading their article condemning Chuck Schuldiner. i thought it was terribly biased and just left me feeling infuriated.

then again, i may be biased as well.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Night_Lights
i never liked Anus after reading their article condemning Chuck Schuldiner. i thought it was terribly biased and just left me feeling infuriated.

then again, i may be biased as well.

Wheres the link to that? Just wondering why they "condemned" Chuck.

Article was nothing special IMO.
I never really thought of Metallica as speed metal.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Read the whole thing, very informative and creative i.e. the way he breaks down and explains different aspects of bands and sub-genres etc. This is a good example of the intelligent people metal music attracts, and that goes for those who read and some what understand it too.
Quote by Jakeylee111
Wheres the link to that? Just wondering why they "condemned" Chuck.

Article was nothing special IMO.
I never really thought of Metallica as speed metal.

Don't have the link but Prozak was always going on about how he was Christian.
That article was nothing but self-righteous bullshit. Yea there was some stuff in there that's true, but there was a lot of stuff that was merely opinion, but presented as fact. I got halfway through it and got so disgusted I had to stop. The person that wrote that article undoubtedly presumes to know more about the genre than they actually do.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
This is a good example of the intelligent people metal music attracts, and that goes for those who read and some what understand it too.

Metal doesn't attract more intelligent people than any other genre. Usually getting into it requires no more than a little circumstantial evolution, not intelligence. Bringing one's intellect into perspective when listening is always rewarding, of course, but it does not yield attempts at attributing artistic or philisophical value to certain things devoid of them. Such aspects are not necessary for quality. Metal is only music for the mind if you actually have a mind.

This is true for all genres. What differs, I believe, is how much better the music becomes when an intelligent light is shown upon it. Classical music demands intellect for its entire scope to be seen, whereas some metal is not meant for such things at all--merely entertainment or fun. It doesn't make the genre less "good," but perhaps less demanding. Which can obviously be taken either way.
Quote by garden of grey
better than vh1

What isn't?

But that was a decent read, though I didn't finish all of it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by VomitalXX
Warning: Anus are extremely pretentious and are not to be trusted without skepticism. That said, this article holds merit.

Very well said.
When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.
Quote by DanRev
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/chuck_schuldiner.html

Interesting article to say the least.

I dont like anus, its biased and pretentious.

Give it a read anyway.

"A traitor to metal"...
Whoever wrote that is a bit of a freak.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Quote by DanRev
http://www.anus.com/metal/about/metal/chuck_schuldiner.html

Interesting article to say the least.

I dont like anus, its biased and pretentious.

Give it a read anyway.

The whole article is a contradiction upon itself! It talks about not being so close minded, and then it talks about hating everything christian, WTF? They made a few good points, but not enough. I don't see why we should care what religion one follows when the music isn't even about religion?

Meh, if something doesn't make sense, it made sense to me when I typed it
For future reference everyone at Anus.com is a retard...

If they can bigotted, close-minded and completely stereotype an entire group just because some of them believe it to be true then so can I...

fuck'em
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Page 1 of 5