Page 1 of 2
Personally, yes. I don't think I would have gotten up off my ass to explore the vast depths of Norse mythology, medieval torture, the holocaust, etc. And I've definetly come more to appreciate the lyrics in metal more. The gore and the historical lyrics spark most interest for me.

Bathory (Hammerheart first) of course got me interested in vikings.
then Amon Amarth continued that.

Slayer (Reign in Blood) made me look more into the holocaust. It's impossible to ignore Angel of Death. It's such a bold song, the words stick out.

and lately, Pestilence. Great band. It pretty much sounds like you're being consumed by a pestilence with Consuming Impulse, and Testimony of the Ancients has great moods. And of course there is Malleus Malleficarum - the witch burning guidebook. I've been meaning to look into that stuff. I've looked into that, other medieval torture and have explored new interest in the black death. That leads me to the next band:

1349...just because of their name. The year the black death spread to Norway.

Nile's albums led me to explore some egyptian mythology.

And finally....Fall Out Boy led me to explore the act of excretion and expression of flagrant homosexuality.

Can't think of any other bands at the moment. But there are a good lot.
I've found Jesus
Nile got me into a lot of Greek mythology, too. Folkearth also furthers my inteest in Nordic mythology.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
yes. egyption and norse mainly. Just to get a better understanding of the lyrics of everything.

wikipedia ftw
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
yeah some bands like nile and folkearth have gained my interested to certain things from like what the band is "centered" around and what not
Quote by lou_dog69
the moral of the story is keep your jizz covered fingers out of virgins vaginas... HOLY CRAP that explains how mary was a virgin!!! the bible finally makes sense
Quote by kirkisking
Nile got me into a lot of Greek mythology, too. Folkearth also furthers my inteest in Nordic mythology.

Greek? That's strange...

Amon Amarth got me into Vikings. Moreso anyway.
Not really, no. I'm not gonna lie haha
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
Quote by reed
Not really, no. I'm not gonna lie haha

Same. Power Metal got me a little more into Fantasy, Dungons, Dragons, etc.
Quote by somepunkkid
I read into satanism... LaVey is a complete idiot.

I won't rant again, look near the end of the religion thread, a few pages back...

Bathory, a lot about Devil Worship and of course, Elizabeth Bathory, a woman who believed that bathing in virgin's blood made her look younger.
Quote by Anton Szandor LaVey
He who makes a beast of himself takes away the pain of being a man.

My Lyrics:

Silent Oblivion
once i started listening to mayhem i spent hours researching norwegian black metal history
Member #1,267,859 of the I'd die for Dethklok club. PM Vigilantius to join.

Infanterist of the First Reich of the Grammar Nazis.

Quote by MusicMan00
I noticed the avatar before I read what you said. Then I read it. Then I laughed.
Well, Iron Maiden got me on a lot of different subjects, and Nile got me a bit interested in ancient Egypt.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Forefather have got me more into English history, but apart from that I just researched stuff 'cause I felt like it.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
I read up more about Satanism. I actually agree with some of LaVey's teachings. To me it's more of an ideology and a spread of alpha male ideals than a religion or group.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by dead-fish
Well, Iron Maiden got me on a lot of different subjects, and Nile got me a bit interested in ancient Egypt.

iron maiden got me into some literature
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
oh yeah, Cannibal Corpse got me to kill my neighbour...

No, to be honest it hasn't. I do check a few things out when we talk about stuff on the forums, but nothing deeply even though I want to. I'm too lazy
Quote by Charlatan_001
Greek? That's strange...

Amon Amarth got me into Vikings. Moreso anyway.

woops, lol, I meant to say Egyptian. I must have been thinking about some other band...
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

^ makes more sense now . I had never listened to Nile lyrics, but just from the title nothing sounded greek and the music far from it also.
Fuck, Lair of the Minotaur are the ones that are getting me into Greek mythology. I can't believe I forgot about them.
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal

Nope, it's actually sorta the other way around. I've always been interested in history of things like vampire legends, satanism, occult ****, Elizabeth Bathory, Vlad Dracula, all that ****. Because of that, I have discovered a lot of bands, like Moonspell (the song 'Vampiria'), Candlemass ('Countess Bathory'), Venom ('Bloodlust' and 'At War With Satan')...
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by somepunkkid
I read into satanism... LaVey is a complete idiot.

Yes, yes he is.

I read up a bunch on Aleister Crowley and Thelema because of Behemoth, and a bunch of occult practices as well.

Quote by kirkisking
woops, lol, I meant to say Egyptian. I must have been thinking about some other band...

Funny though, Nile does have a few songs that have references to ancient myths that originated near or in Hellas. Defiling The Gates of Ishtar was about an ancient Persian myth that certainly leaked into the Greek culture through Darius/Xerxes or just simply through proximity to the Persian empire. Same thing for another song on BSoV which I can't remember.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Last edited by LedZeppelin at Jun 17, 2006,
No, to be honest it hasn't.
there is not much to gain for me in going deep into history/mythology

edit: but, of course, history is important....
Last edited by grave at Jun 17, 2006,
The last verse in megadeth's "The Skull beneath the skin" made me go look up what drawn and quartered meant. and several other additions to my vocabulary are thanks to metal.
Quote by kirkisking
Fuck, Lair of the Minotaur are the ones that are getting me into Greek mythology. I can't believe I forgot about them.

Lair of the Minotaur are awesome, and i've always been into ancient mythologies, ever since i learned about it in the fourth grade. It's pretty kickass, but that was way before i got into metal.
Somewhat. Made me want to explore the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, witch trials, some Egyptian stuff (not much) and of course Enochian stuff... the magic and the Book of Enoch and what-not.
^Yeah they tend to do that don't they.

But on topic: Nope, not in the least.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Well, kind of. I definatly know more than if I didn't listen to metal, but it's mostly little things that I looked up out of curiousity.
It's more the other way around with me.......my pre-existing interest in history got me into "historically themed" metal bands. heh.
Not really.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Six Feet Unders song about the Manson cult got me to read a lot about serial killers,
Iron Maiden got me to look into some World War II history
Iced Earths new vocalist got annoying, but I still learned a little about the downfall of rome
Quote by kirkisking

Yeah, I'm gonna write about Greek Mythology and Biological Warfare when I get a band. My interest in writing about Greek Mythology was inspired by Nile. I got the idea because I love their lyrics, and I didn't want to rip off of them and write about Egyptian Mythology as well. So I chose Greek.

Bio-warfare I just think would be rad to write about.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Quote by Nelsean
I read up more about Satanism. I actually agree with some of LaVey's teachings. To me it's more of an ideology and a spread of alpha male ideals than a religion or group.

Exactly , it is an ideology but he plays it off as a religion. People should veiw it as one instead of a religion. LaVey's arrogance is so annoying as well. Theres another version of some kind of satanic bible out there that i read about once. It was supposed to be written around the time of Jesus.

I think the attraction of people to LaVey's satanism is more material than for religous or intellectual purposes. People see it as a way to stand out in society, or amoungst their friends or for the shock value of saying "im a practicing Satanist". Really LaVeys form isnt a bonified religion, so saying that really just translates to "Im an attention *****, look at me in my gay black clothes. Someone please fuck me in the ass because christianity says sodomy is wrong." If you told me you were a satanist who went out and burned churches, held black masses oh a regular baisis, or you liked to kill people because they were christian, then i would geniuinely agree that you were a satanist.
^I think the values in Satanism (LaVey kind) makes a ****load more sense than Christianity, though. Respect to people who deserve it, instead of 'Hey, you burnt down my house, killed my children and raped my wife, but you said sorry, so you're forgiven!'.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
^ yes but its still ideology over religion.

and its more than saying "im sorry" its actually feeling regret and remorse, and wanting to spend your whole life making amends for that
^ Yes. Any ideology can be abused, look at Benvenuto Cellini. It's inevitable that, with any group of people, some will take the easy route of self-indulgence and stupidity. You know, when a guy pops up on Earth claiming to be the son of God and is crucified shortly thereafter, people tend to get pretty passionate about it.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Page 1 of 2