Dude/ettes, you can read a late Alexi Laiho interview in the news tabs.....

He said he used a MIDRANGE sound, but I heard all their albums and EPs, they still sound Mesa-ish especially Roope.....
Alexi said that midrange shows your solo tone, and IT DOES. But, whats the point of showing out your solo, if it sounds........ MT-2ish ??

So here's my q, how can you create a metallish MIDRANGE sound for lead pieces ??

And, yes ............ I'm kinda tryin to dupe Alexi's tone for moi-self.... (My Rhythm already has the Mesa tone)........ but then again............ they're alike ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Are you connecting Mesa tone with a scooped tone? You can have a Mesa tone w/o it being scooped. Yes, they are known for thire bottom end., but a mid. heavy tone is possible.

And for a "metallish MIDRANGE sound for lead pieces ". Just turn the mid knob up, take some of the lows out, maybe drop some of the highs. Right?
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
man laihos tone sounds NOTHING liek a mesa. Its all jcm900 man. Those amp soudns light
Dude, I dunno if it's just my drummer-twisted ear drums, but hear the In Your Face from Are You Dead Yet !!!! The solo is like a gained down Recto !!!!

I now he uses a Lee Jackson GP-1000 preamp, but what poweramp does he uses, some say Ampeg, some say VHT 292 and it has............... KT88s (I didn't know these tubes can do metal) !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I love the intro to that song. It does have that airy sound of a Mesa. But I don't know what kind of amp it is, but I'm pretty sure he plays a Marshall.
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
Nope, he uses LEE JACKSON preamps and VHT or Ampeg or Engl OR Peavey poweramp !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
^ I Thought it was A VHT cab, Lee Jackson Preamp and VHT poweramp. I'm pretty sure that's it for the new stuff, might be different for the older stuff
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Anyway which will sound better, an EMG 81, or an EMG HZ4 with a gain booster

Also, which gain booster is better the AB2 or PA2 ??

Keep the faith, baby!!