is it me or do alot metalcore bands tunes their drums down?

hmmm
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
Um I don't know much about drums but it wouldn't surprise me. I think I was reading an article of an interview with the producer of Shadow's Fall's latest album or something... Imean I hate shadow's fall but the producer I think new what he was talking about... Anyway, he said something about how the mix sounds really ****ty with the drums sometimes because bands in the metalcore scene like to downtune their guitars. So it would probably make sense that some drummers tune their drums down.

I don't notice this downtune of drums that you do, but it would make sense if they did. Although I'm really not sure since I don't know a thing about drums.
I play guitar
Last edited by )Eric(Draven at Jun 17, 2006,
There is a drum tuning (as in notes) Terry Bozzio (sp?) Has an enormous drum set and he has several toms of the same size tuned to different notes. And I would say yes, a lot of them tune their drums down, especially their bass drums.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I dont think its a matter of drum tuning or drum size...because drums arent like guitars where you tune it from an E to a D and whatnot. But larger drums will be "deeper" sounding so that would in turn be the same effect as having down-tuned strings
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
no....no....no.....drums have a primary frequency which primarily makes up how the drum will sound....a looser head will be a lower frequency and a muddier, deeper sound....when bands do this the lower frequencies of the drum heads interfere with other aspects of the music (bass primarily) and muddy up the sound....this is also why most drop C, standard C, recordings, etc, sound a little grungier and hard to analyze
For my friends old band I guess they were looking at his drums and it had a factory thing that said it should be tuned to certain notes, so one night while recording there cd they tuned it to those notes.
Quote by StickIt2DaMan
For my friends old band I guess they were looking at his drums and it had a factory thing that said it should be tuned to certain notes, so one night while recording there cd they tuned it to those notes.

mhmm....i forget the relations between most of the drums but i know each successive tom is supposed to be a minor third apart....that is the top heads....after that tune the bottom heads lower than top for a rock sound and higher than top for a jazzy sound
I asked someone If there was a standard tuning and this was their reply
Depending on the style of music, the tuning tends to be different. For example, for funk, you want a lower and deeper snare and toms, whereas for punk, you want a very crisp, high snare with higher toms. Also, the interval between adjacent toms is often a minor 3rd.