Page 1 of 2
Yeah my punk band is starting to get serious, were about to record for an EP, and we in our band want to have shirts with our design. Is there a special paint i should buy to put on shirts? or is there a special process i haev to go to?
Acrylic Paint.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
if you have lots of money you can get them silk screened
can I worship you now? girls with hawks are fucking sexy.

as someone earlier in this thread said, go with one bat. HWAT.

I love you.
^ Thus defeating the purpose of Doing it yourself.]

Fabric Paint will work fine, and I think it's safer because I don't think it's as flammable. I might be wrong about the flammable part.
Quote by ~~cemetary~~
if you have lots of money you can get them silk screened

Look for instructions on how to Silk Screen yourself, it is really quite simple, and once you get the stuff you can make a ton of them.
SIZE]
Sharpie + White Shirt + Band Name = Good Punk Rock T-Shirt.

My lightning bolt shirt that's like that gets all the ladies...

and by all the ladies I mean I get alot of weird stares and people think I'm mad into Harry Potter.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Are you just stenciling? acrylic is cheap and comes out fine but it fades a lot after a few washes. spray paint is super DIY and easy, fabric ink like speedball works the best though. Just do whatever, if it looks like crap, thats cool it'll look diy. And I don't think that acrylic is flammable and even if it was, fire is always fun.
Edit: My shirt that I stenciled with acrylic paint didn't catch on fire
Last edited by yeahyeah at Jun 17, 2006,
Quote by whyvern
Sharpie + White Shirt + Band Name = Good Punk Rock T-Shirt.

My lightning bolt shirt that's like that gets all the ladies...

and by all the ladies I mean I get alot of weird stares and people think I'm mad into Harry Potter.

I'd tap that ****.
Quote by yeahyeah
Are you just stenciling? acrylic is cheap and comes out fine but it fades a lot after a few washes. spray paint is super DIY and easy, fabric ink like speedball works the best though. Just do whatever, if it looks like crap, thats cool it'll look diy. And I don't think that acrylic is flammable and even if it was, fire is always fun.
Edit: My shirt that I stenciled with acrylic paint didn't catch on fire

Probably shouldn't be getting fire near a shirt regardless of what's on it. But you know, chicks dig the scarred look, as well as the skin graft look. But I don't think that spray paint works as well as acrylic paint does, does it? I think spraypaint washes out easier, unless you use some kind of coating over it.

Apparently there's actually stuff called fabric paint which you can use, but I've never seen it. I've just used acrylic paint on my own shirt, and it works alright. Important thing to remember if you plan on using paint and stencils; use a roller. I tried it with brushes, and it just makes things so much more difficult.

EDIT: Just found out that a good way to seal a shirt to stop it from washing out is to put baking paper over the stencil, then iron it for a few minutes. I'd be a little cautious about this with acrylic paint though...might melt it a little too much.
acryllic mixed with textile medium makes a very professional yet cheap stenciling ink. ive tried everything and that works the best.

once you get good you can eliminate the use of bridges in your stencils and make them more intricate and look like they were professionally done, like my latest shirt.

Be sure to put a piece of cardboard or something in the shirt or the paint will bleed through and **** up the back.

Any art supplies store should have the paint and stuff that was meantioned earlier.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Materials needed: a t-shirt, yucky/cheap paint brushes, an embroidery hoop, screen printing ink (I use Speedball brand), a glue that isn't water-soluble (I use Modge Podge), curtain sheer material/tulle/old nylons, and a computer with a printer (or a good hand for drawing things).

Find an image you like and that has good contrast. (Scummer note, letters will always be high contrast duh) My cow needed to be "cut out," and I've only got Microsoft Paint on this computer and it worked fine.

this bitch is stupid, so youre going to need to just up the contrast on Photoshop or something.

Print it out so the image is the size you want it on the t-shirt (and also so it's not bigger than the embroidery hoop you spent ¢67 on).

After pulling the sheer curtain material/tulle/old nylons tight across the embroidery hoop (and screwing it shut real good), trace the image onto the material with a pencil with the material close to the paper, not upside down so it's far away.

You should be able to see the pencil outline easily without squinting too hard. If it's too detailed, fudge some more.

Turn the thing over and with the glue, paint all the "negative space," (all the places you don't want ink to go, the white space). Make sure the material isn't touching whatever surface you're working on otherwise you'll end up gluing the whole thing down, obviously.

Some people say you can use tape to fill in the bigger area, but I think that painting the glue on all over the larger spaces is the best part, but do what you will.

After the glue dries, center the image on the shirt face down, and I sort of stipple the ink through the material making sure it's fully saturated, but also making sure not to glob it all over the place.

Carefully peel it back, wait for it to dry, and follow the "setting" directions on the ink (mine is to iron it on medium 3 - 5 minutes each side with a piece of cloth/paper between the iron and the ink).

That was taken from a livejournal. Cornball.

If you do it this way, you can do it OVER and over again perfectly, and this is by far the most permantent and detailed way to do it. If you have tons of little lines, it is going to be very hard, in which case you will have to read about doine exposures of screens, I have done that too, but it is a bit harder.
SIZE]
i love stenciling stuff with acrilyc paint, but ive just recently started actually sewing shirts and reconstructing stuff. there are a lot of website tutorials to make shirts and skirts and pants and other stuff, one of them is www.whatthecraft.com.

but yeah, acrilyc paint is good, fabric paint is probably better, and its best to wash the clothes inside out so the paint won't fade as much.

also make sure you don't glop over a stencil with a lot of paint, or else it'll leak and you'll have this blobby mess. take paint sparingly and dab it on.
LoudnSnotty138 and ScummerVacation, those are both some excellent shirts. Although Scummer, that's a hell of a lot of work to put into it.
Quote by Rhinosaur Bones
LoudnSnotty138 and ScummerVacation, those are both some excellent shirts. Although Scummer, that's a hell of a lot of work to put into it.

But it's worth it 'cause you're stickin' it to the man.

In fact, my band will be so DIY we'll make our own instruments! I'm already working on a bass made out of a 5 gallon paint bucket.
Quote by anti
two words:

aluminum foil.

?

Quote by Iluvpowerchords

In fact, my band will be so DIY we'll make our own instruments! I'm already working on a bass made out of a 5 gallon paint bucket.

Oh yeah? Well MY band is so DIY that we don't even have a drummer. We're just gonna build one out of some old socks and some surf wax.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

the Pine Hill Haints made all their own instruments... even the microphones.
Make sure you use non-flammable paint. A old band member had a close call once. long long story.
Quote by JMack
Fallinsuburbia is a very intelligent user. Trust him.

Quote by Red.Washburn77

fallinsuburbia looks like an old Egyptian pharoh, carrying a Les Paul Custom, and, while he's only 10, he gets all the girls for looking seven years older than he actually is...
Its easy to get paint just go to any crafts store and ask for "screen printing paint".White and black differ in that how their made.Usually a more expensive black will work better as its naturaly thinner usually while white works good alot.And you can look up any screen printing directions on 1000 of sites.Alot of times after your done you can iron it and rub wax on it to make it strong so it doesnt fade super quick.
its a global massacre
If I wasn't so punk rock and had a camera, I'd post some pictures of some of the stuff I've done.

I make guitar straps coz you can't buy ones long enough. Except Levy ones. And levy sucks.
Quote by planetary ruins
Its easy to get paint just go to any crafts store and ask for "screen printing paint".White and black differ in that how their made.Usually a more expensive black will work better as its naturaly thinner usually while white works good alot.And you can look up any screen printing directions on 1000 of sites.Alot of times after your done you can iron it and rub wax on it to make it strong so it doesnt fade super quick.

NICE dude.

I got the Animal Liberation one on my wall right now. I really like the Zounds one.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Quote by BrianApocalypse
If I wasn't so punk rock and had a camera, I'd post some pictures of some of the stuff I've done.

I make guitar straps coz you can't buy ones long enough. Except Levy ones. And levy sucks.

How do you make a guitar strap?
I've tried painting using stencils but the paint always goes through the front of the shirt so its uncomfortable to wear , so I just dont wear the ones I've made. The problem with markers is that you can only use them on white shirts.
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR

"ur a fag if you don't pronounce the lightning bolt in ac/dc"

touche. who wuzzit?

Quote by lookie here
OMG! smile_man, that was amazing.
i buy my t-shirts.
i'm stickin it to the ink/paint man!

****ing punk rock!
peace & chemicals
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Be sure to put a piece of cardboard or something in the shirt or the paint will bleed through and **** up the back.

Any art supplies store should have the paint and stuff that was meantioned earlier.

Thank CowsWithGuns for God
Does anyone else have trouble getting the spikes through the leather? I have to poke holes with a leather needle and then drive a screwdriver through it in order to keep get a big enough hole.
Making a guitar strap.

This is basically what I?m going to do when I make myself a new strap.

My last strap was pretty ordinary, without shoulder padding. It was made out of an old dressing gown (pretty DIY). Unfortunately it didn?t take long to break cause the material was so old.

The strap before was only a customisation, I got an old strap, stuck studs through it and painted on white riot. I?ve got a pic somewhere (in the pre-paint era) which I?ll post at the end. I made that one about a year ago.

So, this time round me and you are making a deluxe strap. It?s going to be trial and error to an extent, but it?s ****ing piss.

If you have a problem with the sewing, get an expert to help (for example, I?m going to get my mum to show me how to operate the sewing machine, which will yield better results than doing it by hand.)

For diagrams to see how the strap should be shown, refer to the strap, or a picture. I don?t have a camera.

?Ere we go!

The Strap Button Attacher and Length setting devide:
Get your guitar strap that you use now, or buy an even ****tier ultra cheap one (shouldn?t cost more than a couple of quid, I guess most people who started with a starter pack will still have the hopeless fender one) Take it to bits, and keep the plastic hoop thing and the leather ends that attach to the guitar (you could make your own leather ends, but the hoop thing is hard to make, a coathanger will only stick you, or you could do without the hoop, but bear in mind that we?re going to be making an ulta super strap, and it?s more desireable to have one that you can adjust.

The Strap Itself:
Go to a sewing (textile) shop to buy some material, or use what you find at home.
You will need 1.7 to 2 metres (I go for 2.1 metres because I need such long straps) of material as thick as the ?hardware? we got from set one.

It might be worth getting 2 straps and sewing them back to back, it depends on the thickness I guess.

I would estimate that it?ll come up as an inch and a half thick, all three of my original guitar straps were.

You need a material durable, so you could go for leather (expensive and hard to sew but classic) or whatver. Next time I?m going for denim, just because it?s so rock and roll. It?s cheap, it?s strong, it?s easy to customise and paint? it?s the cat?s bollocks. Denim shouldn?t need doubling as it has these positive qualities, plus if the strap is too thick it mightn?t adjust properly and suck.

Should you wish to put studs in the actual strap, it?ll need doubling.

Shoulder support
Good straps have a shoulder support that can slide to where the shoulder is. Not only are we going to make one of these, but we?re going to pad it too.

You?ll need two pieces of material about 50cm long and 3 inches wide, and one piece of soft quilting fluffy stuff about the same. You?ll the quilting no less than 5mm thich, I?m estimating 1cm, which is a lot, but remember it?ll compress.

So, the checklist should be:
2 strap ends
1 length changing hoops (square rectangle with 2 slits)
A piece of strap material (or 2 if you?re going to double-back them)
Two pieces of shoulderguard material
A piece of quilting
Stuff for customising it.

----------------
Step One: put the shoulderguard material back to back, and make a slit at each end, say 2 inches from the end, wide enough for the strap to go through. Now sandwich the quilting between the two bits, and sew round the edges. It should look like a giant ravioli parcel. Now sew along the middle diagonally both ways. This will help to keep the stuffing in place, and it?ll end up with patterns of diamonds. GLAM!
Next sew around the slits. This is to reinforce them, as they?ll be taking a fair bit of the pressure. The shoulder guard is finished.

Step Two: If you?re doubling the strap, sew them together round the edges and diamond-stitch the middle. If you?re using a material that frays (say denim) sew it round the edges regardless so it doesn?t disintegrate. If you want a frayed look, manually fray it, then sew round the edges. This will mean that it doesn?t fray further

Step Three:
Thread the strap through one strap end, fold it back in on itself, lay it onto the strap and sew it twice to keep it sturdy.

Step Four:
DO NOT FORGET THIS PART UNLESS YOU WANT TO HAVE TO RE-DO IT!
Thread the strap through the shoulder support. The strap goes in below the support, and goes over it and leave the support under it. If you do this the other way round, the support won?t actually do anything.

Step Five:
Thread the other end of the strap through the length changing hoop, thread it through the other strap end,fold it back through the hoop, under itself, and sew it down.

Step Six:
Customise

Step Seven:
Put the strap on the guitar, and play it.
Attachments:
05 guitar.jpg
Does anyone else have trouble getting the spikes through the leather? I have to poke holes with a leather needle and then drive a screwdriver through it in order to keep get a big enough hole.

Yeah, leather sucks. Plus it has that magicaly quality whereby it closes holes in it.

The screwdriver is a good idea. My leather belts have gotten to big for me, and I was loosening the holes with a soldering iron!

I really wish I could make my own jeans... they'd be tailored and everything. And I could double the crotch - not to make my tom roberts look bigger, but because jeans always wear out at the crotch first. And the knees, but they don't matter so much, in fact they're good.

I'd have black jeans with white stitching! hardcore!
i wish i could make my own pirates hat... but i have no skills with clothing of any type.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by anti
i buy my t-shirts.
i'm stickin it to the ink/paint man!

****ing punk rock!

I hear ya!

I used to do the whole...make your band t-shirts deal...but then I realized I looked like an idiot because the crap I was making looked like a 5 year old made it.
How I was recommended for acceleration art is an awesome question.

Anyone who can do it and pull it off well, more power to you
I always think I'm doing something good by making my own shirts, but really I end up saving like 2 dollars and spend a long time making them... so it's not really worth it except for the fact that you can be creative and make something nobody else is going to have.
I'm in the process of making my own Sub Pop Loser t-shirt, seeing as I don't trust the internet enough to buy an official one. This way I know for sure it'll fit etc.

Also, BrianApocalypse, I've saved your guide to making a strap, seeing as I was planning on buying a new one. Might consider making my own now...except I don't own a sewing machine. Could be a problem.
Last edited by Rhinosaur Bones at Jun 21, 2006,
Quote by waterproofpie
I hear ya!

I used to do the whole...make your band t-shirts deal...but then I realized I looked like an idiot because the crap I was making looked like a 5 year old made it.
How I was recommended for acceleration art is an awesome question.

Anyone who can do it and pull it off well, more power to you

Most of my shirts look like a 5 year old made them... you should see the Alabama Jihad one... it's really quite funny. I have a "Vote Al Sharpton 2008" and a DS-13 shirt... but the ne-plus-ultra of my handmade shirts is my Lightning Bolt shirt. Oh man... I got the 4 year old DIY cometbusesque handwritting down perfectly!
Page 1 of 2