Hey,
I'm looking for a new distortion foot pedal and I need to decide which one of these is better.
At first I wanted the DS-2 but now I'm wondering about the DS-1, it's cheaper but does it produce a good enough sound?

I play alot of RHCP,Nirvana,Grinspoon,RATM,Wolfmother,Led Zeppelin and sometimes Metallica.

Thanks

EDIT: Oh and my band is finally getting some gigs so I need to make sure I can hear it because my DIGITECH RP-50 thing is way too quite...thats why I need a new, loud pedal.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Last edited by sebastian_96 at Jun 17, 2006,
I can tell you that the DS-1 is pretty decent. I think it could handle that kinda stuff you play pretty decently, but it also depends a lot on your amp. If it's some crappy amp, then just go for the DS-2 or something. Otherwise, the DS-1 will suit you fairly well. But that's just me.
Yeah bout me amp....
I have a 50 watt no-name brand one that I consider useless but for my gigs I'm using my guitar teachers, I'm not sure the brand but it's big and sounds alrite...still the DS-1 because thats the way I'm leaning and I need to get one soon!
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
thanks alot i check out the sound of the ds-2 and im gonna buy that one
thanks again

the muffin!
Quote by VR6 Stoner
If those are sound clips from the Boss website, use some caution.

i new most of them were like too good to be true lol.
well now i still dont no which one to get, im goin to be playing a gig next tuesday and friday so i need to know....and i need it to be 'loud' because like i said my digitech pedal is really poor everytome i flick it on for some reason it goes quieter and i cant afford that to happen on stage coz then i look like an idiot!

the muffin!
You cant get out and try them? Personally, I think you can get those band's tones with either pedal.
I play alot of RHCP,Nirvana,Grinspoon,RATM,Wolfmother,Led Zeppelin and sometimes Metallica.

Personally, I have a DS-1, and I love it. However, I have not played a DS-2.

I can get a great Nirvana sound, a pretty good RATM sound, a nice overdrive-like sound (for a boost), and a fantastic Metallica sound.

Having not played a DS-2, I cannot comment on it's sound, tone, and/or distortion.

But I highly recommend the DS-1. It's great for the price. I got mine for $40 USD.

EDIT: But it is your choice. It is about your sound. If you like the DS-2 more than the DS-1, then get it. Both of these pedals will give a good boost to your signal.
Proud owner of a Marshall JCM 800 2204 MK II

Colonel of the Megadeth Military

PM BlackicN to join/get ranking
Last edited by JMan2423 at Jun 17, 2006,
The DS-2 is the smae as a DS-1 with a turbo mode, correct? Then if you dont want to use the turbo modes get a DS-1.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
You might be able to a slight RHCP sound out of a DS2, but not John's usual sound.

And congrats on liking Wolfmother! What a band! I'm seeing them live again, this time at Leeds, 'gonna rock, you might be able to get their sound out of a DS2 too...

The best thing would be to try both of them out.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
oh and if you want a sound sample of a DS-1 I can record one. PM me.
Quote by Varkunus
well i got an MG
I can tell you from experience that you can get an almost perfect Zeppelin tone from a DS-1 and a good amp.
Nobody in here has tried the DS2 it seems.
So stop blindly advocating the DS1, the DS2 is way better.

The DS2 is way more versatile. It's got a DS-1 and a SD-1 in one box, with a knob to pan between the two types of distortion.

Pwnt.
Now stop jumping on the bandwagon guys.
And just for reference, the DS-1 sounds like a buzzing pile of ****.

I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^I've tried one....
Don't be afraid to care"

i tried a DS-1 and a DS-2. I play chilis and classic rock, DS-1 suits me a million times better. Besides, John Frusciante uses a DS-1 so you know that you will get his sound out of it.
I dont like by DS1. If you have a transistor amp, then maybe you'll find it too fuzzy. If you have a decent valve amp it'll probally smooth the sound out. So i'm modding mine
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Quote by thesumoftwo
Besides, John Frusciante uses a DS-1 so you know that you will get his sound out of it.

He doesn't use one anymore though, he did at some point, think it was Mother's Milk.

Now he uses his Boss DS2 as a gain boost for his Big Muff, and he hardly uses it by itself...
Don't be afraid to care"