I've decided to hot rod a guitar as a summer project. I'll be buying parts and such as I come by the money. What kinds of guitars are relatively easy to hot rod? I know strats are basically the easiest, but I've never really liked them. I really like the SG style but it doesn't have to be one. I'm just looking for good deals really. I'm hot rodding this guitar to be a backup for my Schecter S-1.

Should I look more for a guitar that feels good, or a guitar made of good tone wood, or something else?

Thanks in advance
Strats are definitely the easiest, they're are thousands of eBay auctions for strat parts, but SGs you'll be limited to Gibson/Epiphone products and you'll end up with an SG, and maybe a custom pickguard.

You can even build your own Strat, just how you want it for less than buying one new (minus labor if you're having it done by a tech or luthier)

American Neck - 100
AllParts Body - 150
Pickups - 150
Pickguard, Knobs, Pots, etc - 65
Tuners, Bridge, other hardware - 135
600 for the exact guitar you want
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

Last edited by RPotts at Jun 17, 2006,
Don't forget tools and equipment, if you don't already have them. Tools can add up to cost as much as materials, if not more.
I'm not sure if I want to make a strat, mostly because I find their tone to be too bright for my taste. I've heard some truely awesome sounds come from them but I don't think I'd want to play one.

I was also thinking about trying to find something with 24 frets. Like I said, it doesn't have to be an SG, I just really like those. I'm a highschooler and I don't make all that much so I'm on a somewhat limited budget.

I was at Guitar Center with a friend last night and we were talking to a guy we know. His guitar had been broken and he was looking for something inexpensive so he could have something to gig with. He ended up buying an Epiphone SG Special, even though I warned him against it since they're basically made of plywood. He's going to drop new electronics in it and get it repainted and all that jazz. Could he actually get a nice sounding guitar out of that? I'm just curios on this one.