I put a Hot Rail in the bridge position of my Telecaster and soldered everything together to make the circuit work with what I wanted it to do (I put each pickup through a pot to give 'em both separate volume control), but now when I turn either the bridge or the neck pickup all the way down, it hums very loudly. When they're all the way up, I just pick up interferance from all the electrical appliances in my room. What would be the culprit for the humming when the volume is all the way down? Is it because I took the tone capaciter off the circuit?
As far as I can tell, yes, (or at least grounded just as properly as when I got it, it hums louder when I'm not touching any parts grounded to the bridge/control plate).
Quote by qbasicguy
Is it because I took the tone capaciter off the circuit?

So now you have two volume controls?
Quote by mr_hankey
So now you have two volume controls?

Yes, I rerouted each pickup independantly through each volume, so the neck pickup goes to the top volume knob, and the bridge goes through the lower knob. From there I hooked 'em up to the pickup switch, which then goes to the jack, so I can switch from a louder bridge to a softer, more subtle neck with the flip of a switch.
Quote by qbasicguy
As far as I can tell, yes, (or at least grounded just as properly as when I got it, it hums louder when I'm not touching any parts grounded to the bridge/control plate).

you somehow screwed up the grounding

my guitar has this too but I can't be bothered to fix it since I need to get a new bridge pickup (only one pickup in the thing )
I tried everything to ground it after I put the pickup in, so obviously I suck at electronics. Anyone have any idea how much it would run to have a repair guy do it?