this is my progress since i started to playing a guitar 3 years ago..hope everyone can show their progress too...

1st year:: 1-6 month learn some chords n just can play a rythm part(using the acoustic)....just an easy songs from green day...weezer(green album)..

6-12 month..try to find a chord by myself without using the tab from the internt and me lot improve in that(just a rhtyhm part)..greenday..weezer...and i tab bymyself the plucking intro for the song "wherever u will go--the calling" and it's a quite same with the tab that i saw from the internet...

2nd year::
get my own electric guitar(unbranded guitar look like a telecaster) with the marshall amp 20 watts....also bought one cheap distortion pedal...n lot improve able to play the weezer solo(not very difficult for somebody) from the pinkerton..blue album n green album....(by the tabs from internt)....n start to play a nirvana song including their solo....

3rd year::
now looking for new material(quite boring to play the power chord everytime..u all know greenday)...and now start to play the strokes..the vines..the clash...thi is including the solo...

also now learning some scales...n also just bought the strat america deluxe...

n that's all...and wanna know u all opinion.is that good progress or not??..for been in three years playing a guitar that's all only i can play..n not forget i'm not into metal..so that's why i never try to play a metal song..erm maybe someday...i'l play the metal song
So... you bought at American Strat while you were just beginning to learn scales?

I call that good progress.
how old are you, cas i would say that in three years you could have went much further
erowid has your answers
18 years old...n that's what i wonder is worth it that i bought that fender....spend a lot of money bcause me live in singapore and u know bcause of the tax and the currency value...

i'm think i'm not improve very well bcause i'm not into metal(just listen to the greenday n other stuff like them)....i guess better i listen to some metal piece..right???
Maybe your methods of learning aren't very good. Get yourself a teacher; it helped me a lot; I was at the point you are now when I had been playing for less than a year.
I started playing 3-4 years ago, stopped for 2-3 years, back and playing again so yea

1st 6 months I learned on a steel string...dumbass guy in guitar center told me to buy a fender steel string that hurt like a bitch and I had to learn on that....playing simple crap from music books + learning to read music and scales but I pretty much forgot bout the chords by now...know the poewr chords though.

then got an electric and tried new songs , then quit.

Now im back because I found some really good material to play and very fun and challenging...im starting to learn how to sweep and hopefully tap as well.

Just last week learned how to do A.H. 90% of the times works for me now
<< ESP LTD Deluxe H-1000 w/EMGs
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Ibanez IBZ10G 10 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
<< KOSS PRO3AA Headphones
Quote by mareki

i'm think i'm not improve very well bcause i'm not into metal(just listen to the greenday n other stuff like them)....i guess better i listen to some metal piece..right???

Who says you have to play metal to be any good? There are definately other ways to progress, but pop-punk is probably not it. Start listening to other, more challenging genres of music to see if you like any of it; jazz, classic rock, shred, blues, etc.
You could have done so much more in three years. I've only been playing since August and it sounds like I'm a little farther than you in terms of progression. (not to sound cocky or anything)
well i would call that quite slow progress. however it dont mean its not good prgress.

myself ive been playing for 3 years this christmas and i passed my grade 5 a while back. maybe it is cause i like metal and stuff makes me wanna play faster and develop my technique. but i like alot of other stuff like jazz. in my opinion jazz players are far better musicians than any metal player. they play just as fast but without distortion.

so just because you dont like metal doesnt mean you shouldnt improve.
who knows what there doin ? ... not me
A good solo to start with that I accomplished my first year nd half was Bohemian Rhapsody
try that
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
yeah that's all maybe bcause b4 this i taught that greenday are so ****ing good so that's y it's so ****ing hard to me to listen to another genre...b4 this i taught just want to rock on(mybe poppunk on hehe)....but now i'm even the spice girl i'm listening(viva forver) yeah to get some new skills maybe...

pls suggest some blues artist ..jazz..to me...doesn't know them all bcause hehe only the know ****ing poppunk music artist...
My progress:
middle of July 2005: I say i want to play guitar and my dad buy an Epiphone Special II and a Behringer practise amp (to him, he plays and i get to borrow it)

2 months after that: I begin playing some, my dad learns me power chrods and i begin to "play" (only riffs, dont play complete songs yet).

15 October: I recive a MIM Fender Tele from my parents as a birthday gift (since i wnated a guitar of my own). I have improved some, but doesnt play complete songs yet.

1 week after that: My Tele brakes, fixed at a shop.

2 days after that: My Tele brakes again! Return it for a Mustang

2 months after this: I begin playing complete songs and play with a band on a live show for christmas (i only played power chords, but it was the first time i played with a band)

christmas eve: I get a Marshall JCM900 SL-X combo (wich i later switch to a JCM800 4210 combo and then to a JCM900 Dual Reverb stack)

New years eve: I never liked the Mustang, so i trade it with a friend for a MIM Classic 50's Tele. I have also played with my own band for the first abdn, we played Holiday by Green Day and i learn my first solo (Holiday).

A month after that: I get my current band.

A month after that: I had tried my friends LP Studio before and loved it. I felt that i needed humbuckers and i ask him if i could buy it and we agree on a price. I seel my Tele and i do a job for my mum and gets enough money to buy my Les Paul (Gary)! I can now play open chords and barre chords very nice.

A month after that: I begin at my teacher and learn Em/ G scale and some easy soloing.

8 June 2006: I have a gig infront of 500 people, with my chemistry teacher on lead and me on rythm. We play White Room and Fortunate Son and i ahve no problems playing rythm.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I guess your biggest problem is your music taste. You can't become better than you already are when you only play pop punk. Most guitarists here (including myself) also liked pop punk when they first started, but then discovered new genres, which allowed them to make progress. You seem to have never gotten 'over' pop punk.
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Rory Gallagher

That should keep you busy
My progress:
middle of July 2005: I say i want to play guitar and my dad buy an Epiphone Special II and a Behringer practise amp (to him, he plays and i get to borrow it)

2 months after that: I begin playing some, my dad learns me power chrods and i begin to "play" (only riffs, dont play complete songs yet).

15 October: I recive a MIM Fender Tele from my parents as a birthday gift (since i wnated a guitar of my own). I have improved some, but doesnt play complete songs yet.

1 week after that: My Tele brakes, fixed at a shop.

2 days after that: My Tele brakes again! Return it for a Mustang

2 months after this: I begin playing complete songs and play with a band on a live show for christmas (i only played power chords, but it was the first time i played with a band)

christmas eve: I get a Marshall JCM900 SL-X combo (wich i later switch to a JCM800 4210 combo and then to a JCM900 Dual Reverb stack)

New years eve: I never liked the Mustang, so i trade it with a friend for a MIM Classic 50's Tele. I have also played with my own band for the first abdn, we played Holiday by Green Day and i learn my first solo (Holiday).

A month after that: I get my current band.

A month after that: I had tried my friends LP Studio before and loved it. I felt that i needed humbuckers and i ask him if i could buy it and we agree on a price. I seel my Tele and i do a job for my mum and gets enough money to buy my Les Paul (Gary)! I can now play open chords and barre chords very nice.

A month after that: I begin at my teacher and learn Em/ G scale and some easy soloing.

8 June 2006: I have a gig infront of 500 people, with my chemistry teacher on lead and me on rythm. We play White Room and Fortunate Son and i ahve no problems playing rythm.

Today: Now i had "played" in 10 months and have learned alot. Im gonna learn alot of scales during sommer holiday and have gotten an extra band: Tinnitus Rex, wich plays classic rock and blues.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ok never stick to any genre...just a guitar..watever punk..rock..blues...pop..just play them all...get myself better or know a lot of skills..then start to decide what genre to choose rite('m also hv a band..always play grunge n poppunk....weezer also...but me just play the rythm part...and i am the lead singer...hehe many people said that i got a good tone of voice...can sing in high pitch then drop my voice so well after singing the high pitch..)

yeah i'm also perfrom once at my school annual dinner....
I stick with anything I like and I like everything so yea...just look for good songs with challenging music, The Vines are fun to play like Get Free but its old after while and you dont grow any callous from those songs either lol
<< Ibanez RG220b
<< BOSS ME-50 & DS-1
<< Crate MX65R 60 WATTS
<< Dunlop Tortex 88mm
ok never stick to any genre...just a guitar..watever punk..rock..blues...pop..just play them all...get myself better or know a lot of skills..then start to decide what genre to choose rite('m also hv a band..always play grunge n poppunk....weezer also...but me just play the rythm part...and i am the lead singer...hehe many people said that i got a good tone of voice...can sing in high pitch then drop my voice so well after singing the high pitch..)

yeah i'm also perfrom once at my school annual dinner....