I know this has to be bull**** but when I was reading something about guitar tube amps, it mentioned something about bass amps are not as inportant when it comes to a tube or ss. I know this can't possibly be true now can it?!?!

Anyways Im starting to do some giging on my bass with a current rig of a SS Yorkville XM 100 with a POD XTL infront of it (with the bass pack) Is this going to be a solid/strong sounding bass when I get on stage or should I be looking into some new gear? (this will be small venues, if it matters)
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
All I know is I would kill for an all tube head. They sound so amazing. Personally, I don't think it's true, but thats my oppinion. How small is a small venue?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
All I know is I would kill for an all tube head. They sound so amazing. Personally, I don't think it's true, but thats my oppinion. How small is a small venue?

For serious gigging a 200 watt Bass head is essential so that you don't drive the valves/tubes too hot, the downside is that they weigh a hell of a lot (Orange AD 200 26 kgs) the upside is that you'd need 7/800 solid state watts of bass amp to sound as loud, I know because I've just parted with my Orange OD 120 watter which was louder than my band's 300 watt Trace Elliot head.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
depends where you gig and if your amp is DI capable, which I'm assuming it is. Most places, you can gig with very little wattage.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Quote by John Swift
For serious gigging a 200 watt Bass head is essential so that you don't drive the valves/tubes too hot, the downside is that they weigh a hell of a lot (Orange AD 200 26 kgs) the upside is that you'd need 7/800 solid state watts of bass amp to sound as loud, I know because I've just parted with my Orange OD 120 watter which was louder than my band's 300 watt Trace Elliot head.

But past the wattage issue, is the tone much better? tbh, i just want a very changeable amp, where i can get just about any tone i want, and im pretty sure a SS could deliver that.

cuz im looking at a 1000W SS amp, soo...
Quote by T.J.
I know this has to be bull**** but when I was reading something about guitar tube amps, it mentioned something about bass amps are not as inportant when it comes to a tube or ss. I know this can't possibly be true now can it?!?!

Anyways Im starting to do some giging on my bass with a current rig of a SS Yorkville XM 100 with a POD XTL infront of it (with the bass pack) Is this going to be a solid/strong sounding bass when I get on stage or should I be looking into some new gear? (this will be small venues, if it matters)

Well I gig purely with my Bass Pod XT. I gig on average 100 capacity venues, and plugging the Pod directly into the DI into the PA is fine. If there's a bass amp around, and then I'll plug into the effect loop and use it for some backline.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with tube amps for gigging. Your sound is so dependent of the quality of the PA (and soundguy), so even if you have boutique everything, going through a decent PA, you're only going to get a decent sound.

Different matter for recording IMO though.
Small venues of around 100 people Im estimating. Really what I plan to do is hook up my POD directly into the PA system since my Yorkville amp settings are all set to 5/neutral/12'oclock/what ever ya wana call it, So my POD is controlling all my tone and the amp is just my monitor, sofar it sounds really good.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
Last edited by T.J. at Jun 17, 2006,