I have decided to upgrade my first guitar. It was only 100 with all the accesories and amp. So far I plan on sanding the paint down, and have it with a natural finish. So for the first question, What type of finsh should my friend use, is clear coat ok? and can someone give me a site on how to finish it really well? Now for my next question. They came out with a newer version of this guitar, and it looks less like a real strat, but I have the one that looks exaclty like one. Will a tortise shell pickguard fit it? And if it doesnt I will drill some holes in it, so should I use wood filler so the new screw doesnt interfere with the old screw? And I will also be putting in new pickups. What kind are the best for my music. (classic rock, blues, stuff like that)
I also wanna upgrade the electronics. I saw a site and it had a strat electronics upgrade kit. It had new pots, capacitators, and switches. Anybody know a site that has one of these?

thanks
Chances are if it cost 100 it probally will be a pretty rubbish wood, i wouldn't put a clear finish on it.
Electrics, put a new scratchplate on it one with a bridge humbucker and two single coils. Then if you're feeling fancy add a killswitch or any onboard effect you fancy.
As far as screw holes go all scratch plates are roughly the same so they should fit but if they don't fill them.
Remember do all the hardware first then worry about the cosmetics.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
ya it's crappy wood. But I really dont care that much. I love the look of tortoise on natural, so when I am a lot older and have a better job, I will have a pro do the same thing, but with a much better guitar. And I am not into fat strats that much. And whats wrong with a clear finish, you just dont like it?
No he means if its a rubbish wood (almost definately plywood) you'll be able to see the crap grain and all the plies on the elbow contour. Exactly why cheap guitars with sunburst finishes dont burst over the elbow and tummy contours; they just fill them black so you can't see the layers.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Thats the guitar so far, with one coat of clear coat. How many more should my friend put?

Last edited by Johnny83191 at Jun 19, 2006,
more heavy than light. I picked up some other kinda knockoff, and it was super light, so maybe this wood is ok?
Confirming its not ply wood

And the front view. All done finishing.

So the next step is
1. Get new pots(unless I get noisless pickups), wires, jack, etc.
2. New pickups
3. White pickup covers (unless they already have them)
4. New pickguard in tortise shell
5. Tremelo back plate thing in tortoise shell (maybe?)
6. Maybe new tuners (sperzel?)
Last edited by Johnny83191 at Jun 19, 2006,
Nice. Good thing it wasn't ply!
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.