I have been looking fo a way to play smaller clubs easier because sometimes a half stack wont fit o stage and make everything cramped..however, i have an issue...

My father owns a JC-120, a Delux reverb (vintage silverface from 79 i think) and he has a few cabs (mostly carvin and bagend)..

Im conteplating on either A: using a 2X12 cabs we have and my head...or he will let me use his deluxe reverb....

the head and 2X12 is still a bit big and it would be hard to get in the air off the floor without securing the head to the cab, or just leave it on the floor.. but...

The Deluxe has no built in distrtion channel and this is a problem...i cant dial in a tone i really love on the deluxe because there is no mid eq controll...the whole sond is was too middy..and its bothering me like crazy.... any suggestions on pedals to get that mid sound reduced or maybe a distrotion pedal that will do it? HELP...(oh and i play mostly rock..ac/dc...blink...seven mary three..and some nickelback stuff..and some black label..too so i need flexibility..)
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
You do not want to use a distortion pedal with such a great amp. It will kill its tone.

It seems like, first of all, you'll need an EQ.....that will bring the mids down (though I think that also slaughters the very essence of the amp.....mids are good, and you can still get a heavy tone with them.....USE THEM!)

Next, you'll either need multiple overdrive pedals (use 2 or more to get the gain you want....noise may become a problem) or find a single pretty high gain overdrive.
i like the boss sd-1 yes i mean the SD-1 not DS-1 cusn its a great sound great overdrive and awesome tone...but its rather above my busdget for the time being...and when i say its mid rangy i mean OVER the top...not a good mid sound..i know tone...this is not a good one...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
well the jc is a solid state amp, so OD pedals wont really do the trick. i think using the carvin 2x12 cab would be your best option.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
oh ok, didn't see that. an od would work great then. i'd go boss sd-1 since you dont like mids. maybe an eq in the FX loop.

but i still think going with the 2x12 would be best. seeing as he is already happy with his tone from the head.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Ok well i think i like the 2X12 sound beter but its a bagend cab... a bass cab with guitar speakers..so its not as tight as i like it..(ported not closed back) and the deluxe has awesome volume and great voicing but too much mid just through my sg and V... plus a ts-9 pedal..

My budget right now is like 120 bucks or so and all i was goin on was a lsit price i saw for the thing...my bad
Mail Goes here.

Last edited by SGKIDD at Jun 17, 2006,
well the ts-9 is a very middy pedal...
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

what about an mxr grind zakk wyld overdrive??
Mail Goes here.

just adds a bunch of noise. try the boss sd-1 like mentioned erlier.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ok, sounds good...oh and another part mihgt be the pups on my sg are middy too...my dads strat sounds damn good through it but its not heavy..more bluesy...
Mail Goes here.

well that's kind of the purpose of a strat...
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

nah...kirk hammet uses one on a few albums...and there not all blues guitars my dads is an HSS...plus its got a mod where there are 2 more toggle switches to activate the neck pup allways and the other puts the mid and bridge pup in series...
Mail Goes here.

Quote by SGKIDD
nah...kirk hammet uses one on a few albums...and there not all blues guitars my dads is an HSS...plus its got a mod where there are 2 more toggle switches to activate the neck pup allways and the other puts the mid and bridge pup in series...

oh ok. well fat strat is a whole nother ball game.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

sorta...still single coils..all exept the bidge which i dont usually use
Mail Goes here.

well then it's the same as a regular strat....
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

ok so a sd-1 is the best idea right..but will it get me a heavier sound is i need it??
Mail Goes here.

if classic rock is what you're doing yeah it should if you get the fender tubes goin a bit first.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565