#1
That's right, I want to paint mine but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions/tips/whatever? I know this is kind of vague but I have absolutely no clue, so I don't even know what to ask. :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
#4
I want a solid glossy color, definitely
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
#5
Read a lot of hte painting questions here, read the tut on guitarrefinishing.com, then do some experimenting.

your going ot want to scuff hte body with 220 grit sanddpaper, spray your primer, then color then clear.

You put on enough primer to completely cover the previous finish and not be able ot see through it and hten add some more coats, same with hte color coat. Every couple coats get osem 400 grit and lightly sand thecoats to knock off any orange peel or drips. If your using spray paint I recommend duplicolor or lrylon brand spray paint. And, when your spraying your cleacoat, when your done, remember to let it cure for at least 2 weeks.
#6
Quote by allchavsrgay
good tip dont even try it turns out really crap looking!!!



maybe just for you becuz you arent even one to wanna be a luthier, get out of the GB&C Forum..

Okay then since you want a solid color (no grain showing thru) it is less work, Scuff (sand) the original paint not off just sanded rough all of it!
*use 240 Grit paper*

For the paint use Duplicolor or any other type auto paint..

Paint on your coats of the Duplicolor Primer 2 to 3 coats...

Then sand it lightly with a high grit like 400, then do one final thic coat of primer

ill post more later
#7
Dude... use the search button...
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
#8
yep sand till it looks like this

spray primer

then colour

then laquer, wait 2 weeks then buff the beast.
#9
thanks everyone, that's all i needed
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
#11
I'm interested in painting, too. What all is involved in preparing the body for paint? I don't feel mega confident taking my pickups and stuff off because I really have no idea what not to touch or anything like that. It would be nice if someone could tell me what NOT to do, and what would be the easiest way to do it correctly. If it makes any difference, I'm interested in a solid color and maybe a small logo or something, and I'll be painting a p-bass. Is it even smart to try this if it's my only bass? Is there a high likelyness i'm going to mess up and not be able to use it again?
#12
Removing the electronics is pretty easy. There is pretty much no mistake that cannot be reversed easily.

If you want to spray a solid colour just scuff sand the body with 400 grit sandpaper and spray.

To be honest i wouldn't refinish my guitar if it was my only one, only for the reason that i wouldn't be able to play for a couple of weeks.
#13
Quote by allchavsrgay
good tip dont even try it turns out really crap looking!!!


that all depends on who you are, usually im pretty good at painting. 75% of the times they come out looking better than before, the other 25% i just try again. Then again, I airbrush, not spraypaint.


Tell me what kinda guitar youve got and I can help you along getting the electonics out and getting it to just a bare body.
#14
You dont have to let the clear sure for 2 weeks if your using Wal-Mart rattle cans. You can get by with only a week. 5 days if your lucky and the weather is good.
#18
dont feal dumb, you dont know so you ask, that is how you learn, and become smart
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff