I have it tivo'd...I just need my damn sister to stop watching her crappy cartoons, and I can watch it...
Quote by public_witness
i wasnt aware that top of the pops invited bands on indepedant lables to play.

I thought they were on Sony at that time?

EDIT: see what you did there! I still count MSP as indie, it depends how you define indie.
Oh, what a shame as she slipped in the rain, that poor dancing girl, she won't dance again.
Well, not Indie but the greatest TV moment is the Pistols on the Bill Grundy show.

And Jarvis Cocker at the Brits.
Quote by fronkpies
When bloc party were killed in a tour bus accident, oh..that hasnt happened yet

I agree with the jarvis cocker incident (is that indie?)

you do redeem yourself by mentioning the jarvis/jackson thing, but you just sound like an arse saying that about a really quite good band
Quote by bobjewell87
you do redeem yourself by mentioning the jarvis/jackson thing, but you just sound like an arse saying that about a really quite good band

It was meant as a joke, no offence meant
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by StuartR
Can we try not to make 20 pages of people saying 'When band X started' ect?

We can try...

...uh...

...hmm..

...WhEnPaVeMeNtStArTeDl0lz!

Oh fuck, I'm sorry I screwed it up...
We can try...

...uh...

...hmm..

I'd probably say the release of Kid A. That shit changed my life, man.
Wade in the water, child.
We can try...

...uh...

...hmm..

i'm not gonna lie, thats how i feel.

but really, an album means a lot more than a moment.
Well all of Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, and Slanted and Enchanted...and Wowee Zowee for that matter. But some good songs: Cut Your Hair, Summer Babe, and Rattled By the Rush. Those are each from one of the mentioned albums, respectively.
Quote by y2james2005
what good songs are by pavement??

My favorites are:
Summer Babe
Cut Your Hair
Gold Soundz
Unfair
Range Life
AT+T
Spit on a Stranger

Just get the entire Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain album.
Wade in the water, child.
Em......

When.... Ellliott Smith.... no.... em.... Conor Oberst..... no..... damn, how about... oh yeah, when Tim kasher got divorced.

We got some great music out of that.
Because light strikes a deal with each coming night.
Quote by y2james2005
what good songs are by pavement??

i'm overly-qualified to answer this, but i'll try.

Their first album, Slanted and Enchanted is innovative, influential, and possibly their best. Now this is pretty counter-intuitive, but S&E is all these things partly because it sounds like it was recorded with a four track on an airplane. Therefor I would not make it the first Pavement I listen to.

Crooked Rain is the fan favourite, but while not as lo-fi as S&E, it is still relatively low budget. At first the mediocore sound quality makes it sound a little sparse, but repeated listens reveal dense, layered guitar arrangements. The use this can-meets-sy guitar mashup to explore every style from country to jazz to cali-pop. (and theres always a bit of a guitar hero mentality somewhere in there)

The other albums, while extremely good, aren't important. If you're doing this by dl'ing individual tracks, i'd reccomend these as the more accessible songs

Spit on a Stranger
Stereo
Carrot Rope
Cut Your Hair
Rattled by the Rush
Grave Architechture

and these as less/slightly less accessible

Zurich is Stained
Unfair
Our Singer
Summer Babe
elevate me later
I was going to list Carrot Rope and Elevate Me Later, but I decided to keep it to 3.

Also Best Friend's Arm is a really cool song.
Quote by Abe
Don't know what the best is, but your video made me think of another one that amused me.

It's not that indie, and it's not that great, so the connection to this video is really thin. It's another TOTP performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_cC_gofvXE&search=oasis%20totp

I don't belive I have never seen that! That warrants a big old LOL.
Oh, what a shame as she slipped in the rain, that poor dancing girl, she won't dance again.
lyek when thurston moore met lee ranaldo at the noise fest lolz
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by StuartR

And Jarvis Cocker at the Brits.

I salute you sir. speaking of which, anyone know where theres a video of that or if theres a video of that?
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Last edited by damn-right! at Apr 27, 2007,
Quote by slinks
I'd say the formation of SST Records.

i agree and the birth of the Velvet Underground.

Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I was going to list Carrot Rope and Elevate Me Later, but I decided to keep it to 3.

Also Best Friend's Arm is a really cool song.

Elevate me Later, Range Life, Gold Soundz and more are all unbelievable from CRCR. For the new Pavement fan (or possible fan), get that. The 2-disc new edition has some revelatory b-sides and stuff on too. Strings of Nashville, for example.

Wowee Zowee has some brilliant songs too - Father to a Sister of Thought, anyone?

I really love Pavement.
Glastonbury 1997 "Could you turn the lights on so we can see the people? Cuz we haven't seen 'em yet... Hello!"