Ive seen people do this technique where the grab the fret board with their right hand and do like hammerons and pull offs with their left hand so the their hands are crossed. Its done by Snake in Skid Row's Ill Remember You video during the solo. How is this done?
I Return to Serenity

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
- Aldous Huxley
a guy in a local band around here (R.I.P. fight for honor) used to do something like that in the breakdown of one of their songs. he'd hold a chord with I think his right hand and tap a lead with his left. it was pretty surreal and sounded awesome.
All that sounds like is tapping but with your arms crossed. It just looks nice my friend does it to show off to girls and his mum.
Quote by stringmagician
thats not to showoff (though it looks cool) its just to mute the strings while you tap to cover up sloppy tapping

off topic but how come you;ve got a picture of stanton moore as your avatar?

And in answer t the thread starter it is probably just to mute strings or as others have said hold a chord so when you release a tap instead of releasing to an open note it goes to the note you fret. If you look at touchstyle guitarist/bassist i.e. Jean Baudin and Trey Gunn they take these concepts way beyond the next level. Search youtube for eitehr of their names.
Yes, it is done to mute the strings whilst playing a legato passage with your fretting hand.
Quote by OneLastShot
off topic but how come you;ve got a picture of stanton moore as your avatar?

And in answer t the thread starter it is probably just to mute strings or as others have said hold a chord so when you release a tap instead of releasing to an open note it goes to the note you fret. If you look at touchstyle guitarist/bassist i.e. Jean Baudin and Trey Gunn they take these concepts way beyond the next level. Search youtube for eitehr of their names.

It's not Stanton Moore, it's Rivers Cuomo

and btw, whi is Stanton Moore?
it mutes the strings you're not playing when doing massive amounts of legato runs
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

^^ Yep, Matt Bellamy from Muse does it live from time to time. Practical, and looks cool. It stops that annoying thing where the string behind where you're fretting rings out and makes an off key tone, and the more usual thing where you accidentally pull-off and let the open note ring.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by stringmagician
It's not Stanton Moore, it's Rivers Cuomo

and btw, whi is Stanton Moore?

This guy. Thought it was the same picture you can see the resemblance.
Hes quite a famous modern funk/swing drummer
Attachments:
stantonmoore7.jpg
You can also use it to bar a different fret, so you can pull off to a different open note. Ever wanted to play thunderstruck in a different key?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Off topic but god, Vai really does rape his guitar in that video I pity the poor thing :/
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
was it just me, or was that pretty bad? ^
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Yeah I do this sometimes when I feel like showing off. =P

But not only does it look cool, it helps your legato sound much cleaner by muting the rest of the strings so they dont ring out/feedback while you're doing your hammer-on's and pull-off's on one string.