pretty soon im getting the peavey 6505 head (but not cab right away). the cab is kinda pricey so i was wondering which alternatives i could go for... HELP ME!!!

its a 120watt valve head if that helps

and i would rather spend less than £500 for one
THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL
i suggest buying a matching cab..theres a reason they are matched to sell together...they are MATCHED to eachother...but for the time being..uh...practice on a practice amp...save up...the woodshed with the amp and get to know it once you have the matching cab..find a sound you like...and PLAY
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
nicer doesnt neccesarily mean better for my sound though. i want good bass response and good mids too
Quote by SGKIDD
i suggest buying a matching cab..theres a reason they are matched to sell together...they are MATCHED to eachother...but for the time being..uh...practice on a practice amp...save up...the woodshed with the amp and get to know it once you have the matching cab..find a sound you like...and PLAY

Wrong. Completly wrong.

Quote by metalheadsteve
nicer doesnt neccesarily mean better for my sound though. i want good bass response and good mids too

The marshall is better then the peavey, like i just said.

It will have more bass, but the mids wont be there as much, thats why theres a mid knob.
Uh just because a cab is "better" than the cab the amp is matched too doesnt mean it will sound better... YEH marshall cabs are sweet...but ive played a mesa through a marshall cab ( a 1960B non slant) and it didnt sound half as good as the mesa cab... that the amp came with.... maybe a cab upgrade would be good if the peavy has ****ty speakers but....dont get the kid wasting money on something so trivial as a cab....(especially if hes short on cash..)
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
I'd maybe look into the marshall AV, the one with vintage 30 speakers...

or the laney tt cab.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd take a laney TT over a Marshall

marshall cabs aren't all that great - for the price...no...

i'd rather have a hi-watt or CAE cab for that kind of cash - for price genz-benz g-flex is an amazing cab, it has a great bass end and very controlled and nice sounding mids, doesn't get too trebly annoying like marshalls do - avatars are good for the money as well, or a THD cab - that's nice
-Mike
Quote by SGKIDD
Uh just because a cab is "better" than the cab the amp is matched too doesnt mean it will sound better... YEH marshall cabs are sweet...but ive played a mesa through a marshall cab ( a 1960B non slant) and it didnt sound half as good as the mesa cab... that the amp came with.... maybe a cab upgrade would be good if the peavy has ****ty speakers but....dont get the kid wasting money on something so trivial as a cab....(especially if hes short on cash..)

just because they say it's matched doesn't mean they're ment for each other. you don't buy a peavey guitar just because the amp is peavey. you can mix and match. THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF HEADS AND CABS.

check out a carvin legacy cab, or like mentioned erlier the laney tt cab.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by HopePoisoned
i'd take a laney TT over a Marshall

marshall cabs aren't all that great - for the price...no...

i'd rather have a hi-watt or CAE cab for that kind of cash - for price genz-benz g-flex is an amazing cab, it has a great bass end and very controlled and nice sounding mids, doesn't get too trebly annoying like marshalls do - avatars are good for the money as well, or a THD cab - that's nice

It depends where you are, though, hope- here those marshall cabs are pretty cheap. The laney tt is a little cheaper though (than the marshall with vintage 30's) if you shop around- and I agree, I'd rather have a tt too (I have one, so I put my money where my mouth is!)- but those genz benzes and cae cabs would be about twice as expensive as the marshall cabs over here.

^ derek: agreed.

There's a little truth to the fact that the cabs are designed to complement the sound of the head, but at the same time that doesn't mean that a cab not designed to go with the amp won't sound better... since it's all subjective anyway...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ yeah but that's not always true.

i mean look at ENGL, thier cab and amp lines are pretty much seperate. i don't see a powerball cab or anything. so judging from the general theary of the thread, "oh noes, no powerball cab so i can't play a powerball!" but yeah it'd be dumb to say that the uberschall and the uberkab weren't designed to go to gether, but that doesn't mean you cant use a mesa or diezel cab or something.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
ok about the Peavey 5150 cab the Speakers are Sheffield 1200s which are designed to mimic the Celestion G12T75s. The marshall 1960a and 1960 b both have G12T75s in it they will sound better IMO than the peavey speakers. I have played a Peavey 5150 through both those cabs and more. And IMO no cab beats a Marshall 1960BV. Great cab my favorite not saying there arent better cabs out there but great for what i need a cab to do. So for your 5150 if you need a good metal tone i suggest the Marshall 1960b. Good bass response and just in general a really good cab.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I love Genz Benz G-flex cabs, but they're not cheap, and I'd imagine they're even worse in the UK.

Anyhoo, like said, there is nothing wrong with mixing cabs and heads. I'd go for a Marshall cab, I like the 1960AV but there's nothing wrong with the one you posted.
Quote by Syn Harvest
ok about the Peavey 5150 cab the Speakers are Sheffield 1200s which are designed to mimic the Celestion G12T75s. The marshall 1960a and 1960 b both have G12T75s in it they will sound better IMO than the peavey speakers. I have played a Peavey 5150 through both those cabs and more. And IMO no cab beats a Marshall 1960BV. Great cab my favorite not saying there arent better cabs out there but great for what i need a cab to do. So for your 5150 if you need a good metal tone i suggest the Marshall 1960b. Good bass response and just in general a really good cab.

would the marshall 1960 cab die if i used it with the peavey? because ive only ever seen these cabs used with 100watt marshalls. the 6505 is 120watt.
Quote by gpderek09
^ yeah but that's not always true.

i mean look at ENGL, thier cab and amp lines are pretty much seperate. i don't see a powerball cab or anything. so judging from the general theary of the thread, "oh noes, no powerball cab so i can't play a powerball!" but yeah it'd be dumb to say that the uberschall and the uberkab weren't designed to go to gether, but that doesn't mean you cant use a mesa or diezel cab or something.

yeah, true.

anyway, the marshall cab will be fine with the 5150- if you get the one with the gt12-75's (or whatever they're called), if you run them in mono, each speaker is 75W = 75 x 4 = 300 Watts. you'll be grand.

the 1960AV has 4 vintage 30's, which are 60 watts apiece, = 240 watts mono. So again, you'll be grand.

Might be a little dodgier with greenbacks, but even then they're getting up to 100 or 120 watts in a mono 4x12...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh yeah, if you're in the US, for money the legacy cab is a gold buy

i just remember that because someone mentioned it farther up
-Mike