i was checking out the Austin site...and i noticed this guitar, and its pretty ****ing nice...and around here Austin gutiars are really well priced...so i dont think this one would be as expensive as even an epiphone!:O...has anyone played it?..after i buy my Austin strat i would look into getting this Les Paul...or an Epiphone Les Paul Standard..which brings me to my next question, whats wrong with have a guitar hat has a body of mahogony/alder..and not just mahogony?

LINKZ0rz: http://www.austingtr.com/products.php?CatID=1&PageID=9

EDIT: and whats a "Celluloid bound body"?...doesnt Gibson do something like that?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Last edited by The_Hell_Patrol at Jun 17, 2006,
It's meant to be a nice playable guitar but just don't expect too much.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
whats better..the epiphone les paul standard plain top...or this austin vintage rock custom or whatever it is
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Id say yes on the standard, theres nothing wrong with the wood (alder body, mahogany middle,correct me if im wrong). Though you could get better for the money, the standard is a good choice if your looking for a change in pups with it.

Edit: They dont even tell you what wood the body is made out of on the austin site!
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
I agree the Epi would probably be the better choice but I can't be 100% sure cause I've never touched an Austin. I've played a lot of Epiphones and I liked every single one.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
Quote by ProjectDark
Id say yes on the standard, theres nothing wrong with the wood (alder body, mahogany middle,correct me if im wrong). Though you could get better for the money, the standard is a good choice if your looking for a change in pups with it.

Edit: They dont even tell you what wood the body is made out of on the austin site!

the standard plain top is what i would be looking at...and its solid mahogony...not a mix of alder and mahogony cause i heard tahts not as good?...or something like that...and on the austin site all it says is celluloid finish..i have no idea what the means...at least it gave me all the specs with my strat...and tahts ****ing pro
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

uh agile and yes he DOES ship to canada ! Just there is no warranty on it becase shipping cost
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Go for the Plain Top instead. The Austin Guitars are meant to be low priced entry level guitars. The Epi LP Plain Top will be a much better instrument.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by isan
uh agile and yes he DOES ship to canada ! Just there is no warranty on it becase shipping cost

my parents dont buy off the internet.

and most the austin's are quite cheap entry level guitars, with the exception of like 3...one would include the strat im getting...solid alder body...Wilkinson Vintage Trem...locking tuner...maple neck/fretboard and 3 Wilkinson Vintage pickups...(which i will be changing to Seymour Duncan Hot Rail / Vintage Rails / Cool Rails...teh ultimate set up...but i have never played any other except for this one so i cant really say anything..im just going by looks and specs from teh site

EDIT:...isan...your one day older than me...you bastard.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Specs? What specs? They don't even say what the hell it's made of. That usually means plywood or agathis. (both are "choice" body woods you know. )
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ they do for some...haha...on the higher end ones the do...for instance...mine:http://www.austingtr.com/products.php?CatID=1&PageID=69...except mine is tobacco sunburst and not gay black....and the deluxe with the flameness is damn nice too

EDIT: by flameness i of course meant the quiltness

EDIT 2:..ok i was alittle off...the trem is a Wilkinson Classic Vibrato rig...and the pickups are Alnico V vintages
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Exactly. They say it for ones that have specs worth mentioning, but stragely, that LP copy doesn't have anything spec-wise. That's why I'd be wary of it.

Nice looking Strat, btw.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
thanks...and yeah, i will steer away from that Les Paul and probably get the epiphone standard plain top..after im less poor and finish buying new pickups for my sg and strat that is.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

and whats wrong with having a Mahogony/Alder combo instead of just solid mahogony?..does it affect the tone alot?...isnt alder suppose to be a bright wood...so wouldnt the sound be bright when you want,and dark when you want from the mahogony?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
and whats wrong with having a Mahogony/Alder combo instead of just solid mahogony?..does it affect the tone alot?...isnt alder suppose to be a bright wood...so wouldnt the sound be bright when you want,and dark when you want from the mahogony?

There isn't anything *wrong* with it, The Standards are nice guitars. The problem though is that the slab of alder in the middle kills that "Les Paul" Tone. I personally like the regular standards, but I would prefer the Plain top just because it will have that Les Paul sound that everone loves.

As for the bright sounding and dark sounding, that theoretically would work, but in actuallity the woods just balance each other out. You won't get as bright as an all alder guitar, and you won't get as dark as an all mahogany guitar. Think of the alder/mahogany combo as a "middle" wood. Kind of like good basswood. It won't get extremely dark, or extremely bright.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ but is still feels like it is made outta bricks lol
and HA i am 1 day older lol
My Gear :