Okay, I don't really get why does everyone always say "Better have a crappy guitar with a good amp than the other way around" to newer players... Sure, you'll get a better tone with a good amp on a crap squier than on an elite JEM with a crap cube, but... Nicer guitars are SO much easier and more fun to learn playing on, IMO, and it's not like a newbie will know/be able to get a great sound out of even the best of amps anyway? ... or so I think

am I just being stupid
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
if your guitar is hard to play for you/limiting your abilitys a guitar maybe a good choice over the amp but if you can play well but have a squier or low end epiphone then you still should go fer the amp.

a new guitar totally makes playing more enjoyable tho.
I Survived The "Silent Deftone Cocksucking Forum"!-August 15th, 2006
I would say, if you are a beginner, don't worry about sound/amp too much because
1. you aren't gonna be recording and album or play a huge concert anytime soon
2. your ear isn't trained all that much yet
3. feel of a guitar is more important, so spend more finding a guitar you are gonna want to learn and advance on
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
I would say, if you are a beginner, don't worry about sound/amp too much because
1. you aren't gonna be recording and album or play a huge concert anytime soon
2. your ear isn't trained all that much yet
3. feel of a guitar is more important, so spend more finding a guitar you are gonna want to learn and advance on

Yep, i bought a epiphone les paul custom with a roland cube 30. Never regretted it

The amp can come later
Totally agree with you guys. Personally, i think a good guitar with crap amp for starters (like me) is better than an awesome amp and a crappy guitar. One of major reasons why i think this way because you could always plug your good guitars into good amps that your friend or other people have. If you have a crappy guitar and an awesome amp i don't think you would enjoy carrying your amp and or/ your guitar to party with your friends.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
I disagree. I think you will find yourself enjoying to play alot more on a good sounding amp. You don't need to waste your money on a new guitar if you're a begginer, because you might find yourself changing styles of music within the next few months. Give it atleast a year in a half to two years before you need a nice new electric, amp is more important
why not get a reasonable guitar and a reasonable amp?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Well if you have a good guitar, you can increase your skill, after you get better and your ears are more intuned with the sounds coming out of your amp, you realise that your amp sucks, so yea, i believe skill should come before sound.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Quote by namman05
Well if you have a good guitar, you can increase your skill, after you get better and your ears are more intuned with the sounds coming out of your amp, you realise that your amp sucks, so yea, i believe skill should come before sound.

No you can't. Having a better guitar can make you sound better, not play better. I'd say keep the guitar(for the most part, the harder the guitar is to learn on, the better you become), and get a new amp. You can hear your mistakes better on a better amp and when you get to playing at a decent level it'll sound good too.
if both my amp and my guitar was crap, id buy a decent guitar first, coz it just sucks to play on a piece of junk. but if i have a decent guitar and atleast decent amp, i would upgrade the amp, not guitar.
Quote by Cocnut Rag
why not get a reasonable guitar and a reasonable amp?

Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?