Hi guys, first off I have a Traynor Custom 40 and I think I might need to retube and I'm not very knowledgable about tubes. I've heard JJ's are good, so I'll look at those, but stuff like "ECC83S (12AX7)" huh? Also, installing tubes, I've heard you can die from it, so I'd probably want a pro to do it, correct?

Anywho, my amp is great, but I like to mess around and play some metal, and I need a pedal that offers a 'metal' sound. Suggestions? Bands like Pantera, Metallica, Anthrax, etc.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
I can't really answer your tube question, sorry, but as far as pedals;

Try out a Boss Superoverdrive, Ibanez Tubescreamer, Maxon OD808
Quote by Dr. No
Hi guys, first off I have a Traynor Custom 40 and I think I might need to retube and I'm not very knowledgable about tubes. I've heard JJ's are good, so I'll look at those, but stuff like "ECC83S (12AX7)" huh? Also, installing tubes, I've heard you can die from it, so I'd probably want a pro to do it, correct?

I'll answer your tube question and not your pedal question Why do you think it needs a retube, first of all? Second, a lot of times European conventions and American conventions will be different, so a tube of the same type will have a different name. For example, in the US they're called 6L6s. In England, I believe they're called 5881s. You'll have to look at your amp's manual to see what kind of tubes you should use. JJs are good, but they're not the only brand out there. Check out www.tubestore.com to get reviews of other brands besides JJs. You should also remember that you need to replace all power tubes in pairs and you should look for "matched sets." Also, your amp will probably need rebiasing after you change your tubes. Can't help you there. As far as dying goes, if you just touch the glass of the tube and whatever's holding it in place, you should be fine. And only work on your amp with one hand at a time so if you get zapped it won't kill you. But you should have no problem doing it yourself.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Refixer
I can't really answer your tube question, sorry, but as far as pedals;

Try out a Boss Superoverdrive, Ibanez Tubescreamer, Maxon OD808

Alright, see I already run a Boss Blues Driver (im too cheap to buy a TS) and it gives me a good bluesy tone. Will a TS give enough overdrive to go into metal territory? I'll check out the others, too. Thanks.
Quote by paulefty
Quote by Dr. No
Alright, see I already run a Boss Blues Driver (im too cheap to buy a TS) and it gives me a good bluesy tone. Will a TS give enough overdrive to go into metal territory? I'll check out the others, too. Thanks.

From what I've heard, yes it will do just that.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I'll answer your tube question and not your pedal question Why do you think it needs a retube, first of all? Second, a lot of times European conventions and American conventions will be different, so a tube of the same type will have a different name. For example, in the US they're called 6L6s. In England, I believe they're called 5881s. You'll have to look at your amp's manual to see what kind of tubes you should use. JJs are good, but they're not the only brand out there. Check out www.tubestore.com to get reviews of other brands besides JJs. As far as dying goes, if you just touch the glass of the tube and whatever's holding it in place, you should be fine. And only work on your amp with one hand at a time so if you get zapped it won't kill you. But you should have no problem doing it yourself.

I noticed it does crackle at higher volumes, but other than that, I just thought I should know about tubes and how to replace them. And thanks for the information. I'll check out that site.

Edit- Refixer - Alright thanks.
Quote by paulefty
Quote by Dr. No
I noticed it does le at higher volumes

That's called 'overdrive,' friend. Tube amps are supposed to do that
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Quote by hoobariffer87
That's called 'overdrive,' friend. Tube amps are supposed to do that

</tube amp newbie>

I read up on the TS and it said doesn't give enough gain for metal.
Quote by paulefty
Quote by Dr. No
</tube amp newbie>

I read up on the TS and it said doesn't give enough gain for metal.

Not alone....You have to push the amp into overdrive, then boost it more with the Tubescreamer.
Quote by Refixer
Not alone....You have to push the amp into overdrive, then boost it more with the Tubescreamer.

What about Clean Channel ---> Blues Driver --> TS or OD Channel ---> TS

Yes? No? Maybe?
Quote by paulefty
Quote by Dr. No
What about Clean Channel ---> Blues Driver --> TS or OD Channel ---> TS

Yes? No? Maybe?

The TS + OD will probably work better than the BD + OD Channel

Just turn the gain up on the amp (not all the way), then turn the drive on the TS till you think its metal enough.
Quote by Refixer
The TS + OD will probably work better than the BD + OD Channel

Just turn the gain up on the amp (not all the way), then turn the drive on the TS till you think its metal enough.

Alright thanks.
Quote by paulefty
Surely you can only die whilst installing tubes when its plugged in, right?

I mean... If I'm right just unplug it and save yourself an ass-load of money.
Quote by Untitled001

I already told you I was a tube amp newbie
Quote by paulefty
Quote by Dr. No
I already told you I was a tube amp newbie

xD Me too... I don't even have a tube amp =/

I'm just thinking, I don't really see what you can die from unless your allergic to like... tubes =P And electricity if it's plugged in... Unless your allergic to electericity too, then your absolutely ****ed XD
and im pretty sure its only the stored electricity in the caps which is dangerous aswel so you should probably try and dicharge then before you do a tube change
Quote by Untitled001

No, even an amp unplugged can kill you. They store power in the capacitors and still easily hold enough juice to stop your heart after you've turned them off and disconnected the power. That's why you don't use two hands working on a tube amp -- doing so gives the path of electricity a line straight across your heart, essentially making you part of the circuit. But, like I said, if you ONLY handle the tubes by the glass and only whatever spring-loaded device that holds them into place, you'll be fine. And "crackling" at high volume is NOT clipping (what he meant by "overdrive"). To see if your tubes are actually bad, you can do a couple simple tests. First, turn on your amp and let the tubes get warm. They should glow orange. If they glow blue or arc like a Jacob's Ladder, they're bad. Second, they shouldn't make noise if you tap them. So, after they're warm, turn your standby off and then play. After playing a bit, look at your tubes. Using either your fingernail or the eraser-end of a pencil, tap your tubes gently to see if they make extraneous noise.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
No, even an amp unplugged can kill you. They store power in the capacitors and still easily hold enough juice to stop your heart after you've turned them off and disconnected the power. That's why you don't use two hands working on a tube amp -- doing so gives the path of electricity a line straight across your heart, essentially making you part of the circuit. But, like I said, if you ONLY handle the tubes by the glass and only whatever spring-loaded device that holds them into place, you'll be fine. And "crackling" at high volume is NOT clipping (what he meant by "overdrive"). To see if your tubes are actually bad, you can do a couple simple tests. First, turn on your amp and let the tubes get warm. They should glow orange. If they glow blue or arc like a Jacob's Ladder, they're bad. Second, they shouldn't make noise if you tap them. So, after they're warm, turn your standby off and then play. After playing a bit, look at your tubes. Using either your fingernail or the eraser-end of a pencil, tap your tubes gently to see if they make extraneous noise.

I agree with the second quote in your sig. Thank you.
Quote by paulefty
I looked at them and one part was glowing orange and then lower down it was glowing blue.
Quote by paulefty
Quote by Untitled001

THIS GUY DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!

You CAN die when the amp isn't plugged in! You need to discharge the filter capacitors, if you don't do this, there will still be a possibly DEADLY amount of voltage inside the amp. Think a few HUNDRED VOLTS! More power than is in the wall. Yes, WHILE THE AMP IS OFF!

Hope that sticks in your guys' heads.

If you aren't rebiasing, you won't even need to open up the amp though. In that case it's just plug and play.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i'm not sure about the traynor custom40, but my traynor ycv50BLUE autobiasses therefore you don't need to worry about biasing after changing tubes.
Member #4 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.