So the jack on my guitar has been loose so I took the backing plate off to take a look and as soon as I touched the part that holds the cable in it broke off.

So would i just buy a replacement jack that's the same as the one above? (I have an Epi SG). I'm not too experienced with this so can you guys give me some steps on how to fix it? I don't need new humbuckers do I? thanks
"All Randy ever wanted to do was play the guitar."

Quote by Xenn99
Or...were you playing Fallout Boy? Because then it's obvious what happened. Your Low E String committed suicide.

"I don't fucking eat donuts"
Lol... no you don't need new humbuckers, or even new pickups which is what you really meant. I don't know how the f*ck it snapped that easily, but yes, you will need a new one now. They're easy to fit yourself (couple of solder joints will do), but if you're not experienced get a pro to do it for you. Also, in future make sure the nut on the input jack is tight as this will prevent the wires inside breaking away.

EDIT: And all input jacks for guitars are like that, so that won't be a problem.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
the wires that are in there are like welded to those circles on the sides, so how do i deal with that? thanks for the help

Quote by Xenn99
Or...were you playing Fallout Boy? Because then it's obvious what happened. Your Low E String committed suicide.

They're soldered not welded. There's a difference that I'm too lazy to exlpain. Just clip the wires off using wire clippers, obviously. Cut as close to the joints as you can get, 'coz you'll need some leftover wire for a tech to attach the new jack. Nice and easy.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
so after i do all that i have to take it to a professional to connect them back on?

Quote by Xenn99

I'd advise it if you don't know the difference between soldering and welding! Sorry, I kid.

Actually anyone you know who can solder who you can just tell where the wires have to go should be able to do it. IMPORTANT THING that I forgot to mention before is to write down/make a quick diagarm of which colour wire goes where on the jack, if you don't you could f*ck it up a little bit.

if ur bringing it to a guy then let him change it all.

if ur doing it urself the buy a soldering iron and desolder the wires, dont snip them, as input wires are usually short enough, and any loss off the length is a pain.

so if u want to fix it urself the repost.

if ur bringing it to a shop, then bring it as is. prob cost about $30.
1/4 inputs are only a few bucks they charge the rest as labor. but its only 2 wires.

u actually cant "f" it up. at most ull switch + and - and it wont work until u swap it back.
this particular mod is the easiest to do, of all mod/repairs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 17, 2006,
^^Yes, actually, listen to her, her advice is better than mine. Sorry, it's late-ish here in England and I got up earlier than I normally do, like at about 10, lol.

well u werent really wrong, i mean maybe he doesnt want to fix it himself. just letting him know its not really that hard.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Get it done professionally.. don't risk f*cking up ur guitar if u don't know what youre doing.

That wasn't supposed to be bashing on you, kuz don't worry, I wouldnt know how to do it either

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
LAf guys, its really not hard...

thats a jack. u just have to solder the black wire (usually the ground color) to one lug.
and the white wire (usually the hot color) to the other lug.

thats it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

alright my friends dad does soldering and all that maybe i can just get him to do it, thanks for all the help!

Quote by Xenn99

Don't mention it

Yeah, do that. Try and get him to teach you how to solder (it's really, really basic) because it's a useful ability for anyone who plays electric guitar to have.

so whenever you change pickups you have to solder also, correct?

Quote by Xenn99

Yep. Or if you have to replace/add a pot or a pickup switch. Anything electronic is what I'm getting at here.

those jobs can be harder because they involve, opening the guitar, and wire color codes.

because guitar pickup companies like to color code thier wires differently from everyone else.
so it can get confusing.

but the jack wires hang right out of the guitar and there are only 2 of them, so its pretty straight forward.

the hot wire + is going to go to the lug that (if u look closely) ull see is connected to that long arm u accidentally snapped off.

if u look at this picture i stole from madpick, ull see that, in the first picture the stem is connected to a certain lug (metal stem).
the red one, connected to the arm you broke, is the hot one. its the part that touches the tip of the inserted plug.
and the tip is possitive. so the + wire would need to be connected there.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 17, 2006,