Ok, I just got a Duncan SH-6 Distortion put in my RG. The guy at the shop warned me before I picked it up that I would probably be unhappy because it was humming and had feedback. He was right. For some reason it's no problem in my amp at home, but when I took my guitar and amp to my friend's place, it hummed like crazy. Also, I get some occassional crack/pop type sounds from it.
As a HUMBUCKER, the SH-6 should not hum.. correct?? What happened?? Do you think this guy installed it wrong? He claims he installed it in another guitar to double-check and had the same feedback/hum problems. The pickup sounds good when it's not generating noise, but he said if I was disappointed I could exchange it for credit toward something else. So I was thinking about getting an EMG-81 or a DiMarzio X2N installed instead since I like to play extreme metal. I figure the SH-6 is either defective, or the guy installed it poorly. Anyway, has anyone else had an experience like this with a new pickup?
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
if it works and your house then nothing is wrong with it. the outlet you used at your friends house wasn't properly grounded.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^ you're probably right, BUT the tech who installed it had the same problem, and I doubt he is completely inept when it comes to guitar gear issues. PLUS, when I had the amp at my friend's place and I switched to my stock INF3 in the neck, there was no hum at all. I am totally confused here.
hm, that's strange. are you happy with the tone when it's not buzzing?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^ Hell yeah, it sounds great.. my only complaint is that the notes sound almost too clear, plus the random crack/pop sounds at times. My guitar is tuned to B, and the notes ring clear even with full volume on the guitar and the highest gain on the amp. Maybe these glitches are just my luck cause the guy will let me exchange it and that's good because i need a pickup with a dirtier sound and higher output.
rondom crak and pops, sound to me like they didnt wire it up cleanly.

if they said they would fix replace it, i would jump on that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ No doubt, jenny.. maybe some cold solder joints or something. The guy seemed to be experienced, but maybe not. I am thinking about having him put the SH-6 in my other (tuned to E) guitar, and then maybe I will do an EMG install on the RG myself since that seems to be foolproof. I took it to a shop and paid money for this thinking it would be so easy. If I wanted trouble, I would have attempted all of this myself, ya know?
Last edited by lowtek at Jun 17, 2006,
Well it could be nearby electronice as T.vs, radio etc... I know my single hum when I have my tv on in my room, also when Im playing near my comp.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
^ You might be right MasterPlan. When I walk in front of either of my PCs at home with the guitar on, it hums.. that is typical. But otherwise, I get no interference from the lights or my stereo or anything else. At my friend's place, I was set up near an air conditioner and a table lamp, however I doubt either of them caused the hum because I moved the amp a good distance away from either and it still hummed.
Well its not the amp that makes it hum, its the guitar pups. Because whether Im facing the tv or not it changes the intensity of the hum.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
My old stock INF4 bridge pup (supposedly crap) never hummed... go figure. I definitely need this Duncan replaced. DiMarzio or EMG? I have to decide.
well if u go emg then u have to replace both with active.

"usually" the humbucker wont pick up a hum from outside electronics. and its probably a pretty obvious hum if the guy is warning u before u even take it home.
for all u know the pickup came defective or somehting.
-im guessing u swapped out ur guitar cable, and made sure ur input jack didnt get loose from the guitar getting worked on.

and i usually put them in myself. but thats because i let a "tech" do a couple of jobs for me, and i ended up having to fix them anyway. so it turned out easier to learn for myself.
its not that hard, but the first times always going to be a bit of a pain.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Maybe you should get them shielded?
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3