Well, I just recently studied basic walking basslines with my bass teacher and appearently, all a walking bass is is when the bass plays the chords (usually one note at a time) that the melodic instrument (trumpet, guitar, piano, etc) is playing over, to hold down the chord changes*. Well, I was listening to Green Day's Longview, which, as some of you may know, has a pretty cool bassline, and the bassline sounded like it was walking over the chord progression. So I learned the guitar and bass parts and, sure enough, it does follow the progression. My teacher as well as my father (both of which are music majors, my dad studied at Berklee) said that it could be considered one, but when I last mentioned it here, I was told that it wasn't. So, is it, by definition, a walking bassline, or not?

*Note, this is the meaning I took from a ton of information, so i may or may not be 'spot on' or even correct, correct me if I'm wrong please.
its more than just playing the 3 notes in billy joes power chords, its goin up and down the scale
Quote by Teleprompters
the bassline was written first so the guitar might be following along the with the bass part but i dont think it is and its just playing notes in a scale

Walking basslines are always made up of chords, which are part of scales.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Walking basslines are always made up of chords, which are part of scales.

if your dad studied at berklee, then hell i would believe him more than people on this forum, besides the other smart people on this thread...

but i might point out... the bass line in longview was written before the guitar so the guitar obviously followed the bass, in a way that they sounded good etc... and same progression...

but i believe your dad more than other dudes here..
^But he studied general composition, not in-depth bass theroy, its not his specialty, plus he studied there 20 years ago or something like that, been a while, he;s not in the music business, so he doesn't work with it often, he might be a little rusty. I really just wanted to start an interesting discussion, but not enough people seem to be coming in the bass forum to discuss it.
its actullay a cool dicussion, better than whats a good starter amp and bass? check out this sweet wooten solo, check this claypool video out, etc etc... hopefully this will stir up more with knowledgeable people coming to this thread

good idea of a thread btw =)
Quote by BassSurfer
its actullay a cool dicussion, better than whats a good starter amp and bass? check out this sweet wooten solo, check this claypool video out, etc etc... hopefully this will stir up more with knowledgeable people coming to this thread

good idea of a thread btw =)

Yeah, well, that's the reason I tend to stay clear of the bass forum. Its so boring, noone posts anything good anymore. Isn't the point of a forum to have a discussion?
It is a walking bassline. It is not your stereotypical one or a best-example, but it is one.

However, anytime the bass follows the chord? err... no.

If the bass tends to stay in a simple rhythmic pattern, usually all quarter notes, and only goes up in steps or skips of the scale, then it is a walking bassline. Not only if it follows the chord progression... every bassline follows the chord progression.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by MastaBassist10
Yeah, well, that's the reason I tend to stay clear of the bass forum. Its so boring, noone posts anything good anymore. Isn't the point of a forum to have a discussion?

exactly, thats why i like this thread alot, i would love to see more interesting topics like this appear here more often..
Quote by UtBDan
It is a walking bassline. It is not your stereotypical one or a best-example, but it is one.

However, anytime the bass follows the chord? err... no.

If the bass tends to stay in a simple rhythmic pattern, usually all quarter notes, and only goes up in steps or skips of the scale, then it is a walking bassline. Not only if it follows the chord progression... every bassline follows the chord progression.

Alright then, that makes a decent amount of sense. I like Mike Dirnt, especially on that song. Do walking basslines always have that swing to them? Or can they be used in other beat patterns/feels?
Quote by MastaBassist10
Alright then, that makes a decent amount of sense. I like Mike Dirnt, especially on that song. Do walking basslines always have that swing to them? Or can they be used in other beat patterns/feels?

i respect mike dirnt as well, hes actullay pretty good in my opinon, not only in longview obviously, alot of old classic green day the bass lines are sweet, and he can set an example, you don't have to be " bad " to use a pick. i respect him alot =)
Quote by MastaBassist10

they're mostly used in a swing feel, but there are those that aren't in a swing feel (usually still in a blues feel). Took me a while to think of an example, but: The dog pound hop (Ren & Stimpy theme).
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by MastaBassist10
Well, I just recently studied basic walking basslines with my bass teacher and appearently, all a walking bass is is when the bass plays the chords (usually one note at a time) that the melodic instrument (trumpet, guitar, piano, etc) is playing over, to hold down the chord changes*. Well, I was listening to Green Day's Longview, which, as some of you may know, has a pretty cool bassline, and the bassline sounded like it was walking over the chord progression. So I learned the guitar and bass parts and, sure enough, it does follow the progression. My teacher as well as my father (both of which are music majors, my dad studied at Berklee) said that it could be considered one, but when I last mentioned it here, I was told that it wasn't. So, is it, by definition, a walking bassline, or not?

*Note, this is the meaning I took from a ton of information, so i may or may not be 'spot on' or even correct, correct me if I'm wrong please.

not exactly. lets say you have a four quarters pattern. a walking bass line consists of these rules:
*the first and third quarters (remember that it doesnt have to be played in quarters, thats just the beat.) has to be notes that are part of the chord. lets say you have a G7 chord, than the first and third quarters will be either G,B,D or F.
*the second and fourth quarters has to be part of the scale, or chromatic.

walking bass lines are continuous. they keep going and going without pauses and consist of even rhythm. that means there wont be a half note than 8 1/16 notes in a bar. usually there will be 8 1/8 notes per bar but with a swing feel to it.
i suggest you listen to some jazz tunes. these have the most interesting and fun to listen walking basslines.
espicically listen to ron carter and paul chambers. (their solos are great too btw).

bah i hope i didnt get you too bored
G[---------------------------2-----------------------------------2---------]
D[---------2-------------2-4---4-2-------------2-------------2-4---4-2-----]
A[-----2-4---4-2-----0-4-----------4-0-----2-4---4-2-----0-4-----------4-0-]
E[-0-4-----------4-0-------------------0-4-----------4-0-------------------]

G[---------4------------------2--------------------------------------------]
D[-----4-7---7-4----------2-4---4-2-------------2--------------------------]
A[---7-----------7----0-4-----------4-0-----2-4---4-2----------------------]
E[-7---------------7--------------------0-4-----------4-0------------------]

sorry dan, or other mods, i have no code, but that would be an example of a walking bass line right? its in a blues kind of swing feel i believe?
Funny I have just been learning theory myself and in this Bass book it goes through passing notes and leads to walking basslines.

Yeah so on top of what Walkin'Basser (ha your name would suggest you know of this topic) said a walking bassline is basically 'walking' along a scale that corrisponds with the chord progression and makes use of passing notes to make the line sound smoother between the chord progressions. Pretty much anyway.
Quote by Walkin'Basser
not exactly. lets say you have a four quarters pattern. a walking bass line consists of these rules:
*the first and third quarters (remember that it doesnt have to be played in quarters, thats just the beat.) has to be notes that are part of the chord. lets say you have a G7 chord, than the first and third quarters will be either G,B,D or F.
*the second and fourth quarters has to be part of the scale, or chromatic.

walking bass lines are continuous. they keep going and going without pauses and consist of even rhythm. that means there wont be a half note than 8 1/16 notes in a bar. usually there will be 8 1/8 notes per bar but with a swing feel to it.
i suggest you listen to some jazz tunes. these have the most interesting and fun to listen walking basslines.
espicically listen to ron carter and paul chambers. (their solos are great too btw).

bah i hope i didnt get you too bored
No, you didn't. By the way, Paul Chambers is amazing, he's my favorite bassist. Thanks for clarifying that up for me, Dan and Walkin'Basser.
Mike Dirnt is one of those bass players who knows his theory and knows it well. If you listen to almost all of the original Green Day, Mike is doing some pretty technical stuff. A lot of the time he will just hit a fifth between chord changes, but in songs like No One Knows, he really knows what hes doing.

He did write that off of theory, and it can be considered a walking bassline.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by UtBDan
they're mostly used in a swing feel, but there are those that aren't in a swing feel (usually still in a blues feel). Took me a while to think of an example, but: The dog pound hop (Ren & Stimpy theme).

Ah.. brings back memories!
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Mike Dirnt is one of those bass players who knows his theory and knows it well. If you listen to almost all of the original Green Day, Mike is doing some pretty technical stuff. A lot of the time he will just hit a fifth between chord changes, but in songs like No One Knows, he really knows what hes doing.

He did write that off of theory, and it can be considered a walking bassline.

couldent of send it better myself, incubus, i think mike dirnt is really underated on this forum, and in the real world.
I've heard walking basslines without a swingy feel to them, and unless their in the background with something loud in the foreground they don't sound very good. Least the the one's iv'e heard, But i'm in jazz band and i play alot of walking basslines most of them just running up a 2-octave scale. So the one's i've learned outta J-band are very repetitive, I.e You learn em once your learn them all. Now out side of J-band i've never learned a walking bassline that's the same. Going onto the subject of Mike, I think he's an awesome bassist, My favorite he's ever done is the bassline to When I come Around, and I like the Wake Me Up When September Ends line.
^ the wake me up when september ends bass part is rather cool and fun to play... as i said he is WAY underrated ( mike dirnt ) and people should respect him more often.... play those old green day cd's you have, when you had no idea what a bass was, youll see what you were missing...
i don't think its really a walking bassline... it's just a bassline thats different from what the guitar is doing considering it never really walks, it just repeats over and over.
Member #5 of the I Am Canadian club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Quote by sheehan17
i don't think its really a walking bassline... it's just a bassline thats different from what the guitar is doing considering it never really walks, it just repeats over and over.

it's not a walking bassline no, but maybe he was referring to he just liked it in general?

not to good on walking basslines...
yes it is a walking bassline. That was the whole point of this thread.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
so what is the standard format for a walking bass line? Is there one? I mean there is a girl who plays bass in our jazz band at school who just gets a sheet with the chords printed out and plays what she feels like. I always thought that they were 4 notes per bar (in a quick tempo) and that the up the arpeggio theme thing went up in one chord and then down in another one. (assuming that your chords change every bar) So it was sort of a 2 bar moteif thing changing chord in the middle.
Quote by hothedgehog
so what is the standard format for a walking bass line? Is there one? I mean there is a girl who plays bass in our jazz band at school who just gets a sheet with the chords printed out and plays what she feels like. I always thought that they were 4 notes per bar (in a quick tempo) and that the up the arpeggio theme thing went up in one chord and then down in another one. (assuming that your chords change every bar) So it was sort of a 2 bar moteif thing changing chord in the middle.

Yes, that's how the real improv pros do it.
Quote by UtBDan
yes it is a walking bassline. That was the whole point of this thread.

he was referring to wake me up when september ends, obviously longview is a bassline.
^You mean a walking bassline?
Quote by hothedgehog
^ Gee... they must know their chords and notes well. I couln't do that on the clarinet and i have been playing for at nearly 10 years...

Well, its considerably easier when you have the notes all laid out like on a finger/keyboard, that way you can actually see the patterns of how the chords are constructed. Learn a bit of theroy on how chords are constructed, it'll be easier.
Quote by MastaBassist10
^You mean a walking bassline?

Well, its considerably easier when you have the notes all laid out like on a finger/keyboard, that way you can actually see the patterns of how the chords are constructed. Learn a bit of theroy on how chords are constructed, it'll be easier.

do you have any websites that offer good bass theory, if all you have is good guitar theory, ill take it

i tried www.cyberfretbass.com, and love it, but i was wondering if you have any other sites in mind?
^ bass theory and guitar theory is the exact same thing.

All theory is exactly the same.

Its called MUSIC theory because its the theory of Music. Anything that only applies to one instrument is technique and approach, and not theory. Theory of music is music theory.

www.ultimate-guitar.com
www.musictheory.net <-- good one, a little off on its explanations sometimes, but requires you to read sheet music to fully understand its lessons. But its probably the best beginners theory site.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
^ bass theory and guitar theory is the exact same thing.

All theory is exactly the same.

Its called MUSIC theory because its the theory of Music. Anything that only applies to one instrument is technique and approach, and not theory. Theory of music is music theory.

www.ultimate-guitar.com
www.musictheory.net <-- good one, a little off on its explanations sometimes, but requires you to read sheet music to fully understand its lessons. But its probably the best beginners theory site.

ty sir.. all gratitude has been sent to you straight from the USNC on Reach, i will give you free plasma grenades from here on in! lmao im a loser thanks anyway Dan.. im proud to be a theory noob were atleast i know im free and i wont forget the..... ( falls alseep )