Hi all. I am considering picking up bass guitar. However, I don't want beginner sets or the like. I would like something that is of good quality and will last. I don't gig but sound quality is important to me. I'd rather spend more money now for something I can keep for a long time rather than buying a beginners set now, then upgrading the amp and bass several times over until I get what I want. Also, versatility is important. My brother and I both play guitar and so do some of my friends. My brother loves only metal while I also like blues and jazz. Some bands I like include Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment, Led Zep, SRV, Clapton, etc.

My budget for the bass is $600. I was thinking of a 5 string bass since some of the music I'd like to play use that extra string. However, 4 string recommendations are fine as well. I just don't want a fender bass. I don't really like the looks and I played one before and the body didn't feel so good.

I don't know much about bass amps. I've read about some here but I am still not sure how different solid states are versus tube amps. I do know that tubes are a whole lot better for guitar and am assuming the same for bass. A combo or a half stack is fine. My budget for an amp is roughly $400.
Btw, my brother does have a 15 watt bass combo amp lying around. Is it possible to ruin the amp using a 5 string bass? I am guessing not but want to make sure.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
all ive read is your price range and the question about the 15W combo:

1) switch the prices around. you want to spend MORE on your AMP, and LESS on your BASS.
80% of your sound (roughly) is from the amp, moreso when you're dealing with begginer/intermediate equipment.

2) how big is the speaker? 8" and below: it will DEFINATELY sound really bad/distorted/floppy. if its a 10" or 12" then it should sound "half-decent", with a 15" it should be fine, but considerings its 15W i dont think you'd have a 15"
More information

The little 15w bass amp my brother has contains an 8" speaker. For the amp I would like to get, I would like a 15" speaker.
For an amp, I do understand that the amp is more important than the bass for tone but I don't want a huge amp. I've seen some 100+ watt amps under 500. I dk if they are any good but I have a feeling for home use I don't need anything large. One of my brother's friends has a 200w bass amp and its way too big for my liking. Anyways, instead of saying I have 600 for the bass and 400 for the amp, say I have 1000 USD total.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I suggest, even though you said otherwise, that you try out some more fenders, due to the fact most of the bands you listed use fenders. one bad expereience with a fender does not mean all of them are bad, plus there are multiple body shapes so try some more (precision and jazz, and any more you can find) and see what you think. Aside from fenders, 5 string wise you want to check out Ibanez, more specifically the SR505, though i've also heard good things about the other ranges.

Amp wise, as dan said one 15" will be best if your using a 5 string, but i've heard a 2x12 and a 4x10 hold a low B with ease sounding good, so it's not just the size of speakers.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Aye I agree, with Forcemaster, you want a really 5 string, buy Ibanez, they make insanely good basses for not as much money as you'd think. I'm getting one of their 4 string SRX-300s next month as I fell in love with it when I tried it
a 4x10 is usually better (i find) than a 1x10 at holding the B tho. BUT, tbh, ive only played 1 4x10 and like 5 10's.

SR505: i gotta be honest here... i have one and... i still think its friggin amazing for the price there are really only 2 flaws with mine, i think : 1) the finish came off a bit fast from my slapping becuz i dont have a pickguard, but it looks cool imo 2) i woulda wanted one with one more pickup in the mid part, p-bass style but then, barely any basses under 1500 have 3 pups.

barely any basses have 3 pups period :P haha

but honestly, ive played MM stingrays, Warwick corvette's, Fender americans, etc., and i still think my sr505 has a way better feel to it, has really great EQ/electronics (i hate how the corvette dosnt have a 3 band. out of the 3, i still rathere corvette), and just feels like the right bass for me.

and realize that (in CDN) out of those 4 basses: the sr505 is 650 new i think, the corvette is 1350, the stingray ranged between 1200-1600, and the fender american.. i forget, but its atleast over 900 (that said, the fender's are my least liked out of the 4. if it wasnt for the p-bass's punchy tone, i wouldnt really like fender at all lol)
Last edited by mangablade at Jun 18, 2006,
We should just have one sticky on begginer equipment. All questions/etc, go in it after a list of basses in certain price ranges. It would work, if people looked at it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-100-Bass-Combo?sku=480721

^ not a bad amp for the price range, with sufficient wattage. You'd then have 270 left to find a bass, more than enough for a begginer in all major brands or perhaps even a used mid level bass if you get lucky.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
^he said his price range is 1000...so he'd have more than enough...i'd look at the GK backline series, SWR makes good amps, and if you can find a cheap laney, give them a try
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
Oh whoops, thought that 600 was for all of it. Ignore my post then, or just take out the used bit and go mid level. You could get a GK backline 115 for 400 as well.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove