Hey everyone. I was comtemplating whether to get a Gibson Explorer or the ESP/LTD EX-400 BD. I want the Gibson because it's a Gibson. Haha. But it's REALLY expensive. If I get it, I would also have to invest in EMG pickups (I'm a Metallica fan by the way). I would be incredibly broke if I bought it. I was also thinking about the ESP/LTD EX-400 BD. It looks almost like the Gibson Explorer, just a little pointier, so it caught my eye. I have enough money to buy it because it's $730 and it comes with EMG's (exactly how I want them). So yeah. Give me feedback on what to get please!
Well there's isn't much to say about it. LTD's are made in Korea and Gibson's are made in U.S. ... For real quality, the Gibson is the deal. But do like you want. The Gibson's are exactly like Metallica's one, the LTD are pointier and I think it make them less cool
If an Explorer-shape with EMGs is what you want then I suggest just going for the Ltd. I mean, its a decently priced guitar so you won't be getting "complete" bull**** and you won't be spending a grand more for a name like Gibson.
idk what an explorer would be like with EMGs, but as far as I know, Explorers are made for Southern Rock (which is a bit different that Metallica ) Although I shudder to think that I am recommending something over a Gibson , I'd go with the ESP just to be sure of what tone ur gonna get out of it

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
The Gibson Explorers pickups will be very hot but yet very versatile, i doubt i would change em to EMG's if someone game me a set for free.

This is a tough decision, i'd say the gibson explorer has more class and elegance while the LTD is more on the brutal i'm gonna kill a baby and eat kittens kinda style.

If i made money at a quicker rate and was into the less pissed off look, i'd get the gibson. But say you have $600 saved up and u want a new guitar and its taken you forever...get teh ESP. Both are damn good guitars.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by RandyismyIdol
If an Explorer-shape with EMGs is what you want then I suggest just going for the Ltd. I mean, its a decently priced guitar so you won't be getting "complete" bull**** and you won't be spending a grand more for a name like Gibson.

I don't see whats bad about spending more than $1000 if you can sell it for the price you got it, while the ESP would probably be in the $400 range on ebay.

If it retains its value...AND COMES WITH A FREE CASE, its not a loss at all.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
i think this is obvious. gibsons gonna cost ya more, but will be a better guitar. its all about whether your willing to spend the extra cash for the extra quality
Member #57 of The Weezer Fan Club
Get the LTD. It has VERY, VERY good playability and will be just as good as the Gibson. And as for a case, the case is like $100 so you'll be spending about $730 vs. $1000 for great guitars with a case. Plus, the LTD has EMGs and you wouldn't have to rout out a hole and it is the same combination as James Hetfield's guitars. On a side note Ibzman, that is a false statement since with Gibson, you are paying for mostly the name even though they are great guitars.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
I recommend you search ebay for Katana Guitars (a store). They deal in Edwards guitars,w hich are shaped like Gibson Explorers but are made by ESP (Actually Edwards, but it goes ESP Custom > ESP Standard > Edwards > LTD) it's about 800-900 including shipping and a hsc.
haha
Get the LTD. Gibsons are nowheres near as good as they used to be. You pay 1,000 dollars just for the logo. I have an Avenger Hellraiser by Schecter and it would kill any Gibson (unless maybe the Zakk Wylde one, but the pickups are the same so the only difference would be the wood). Korean made guitars are starting to make a place for themselves in the world. (by the way, ESP and Schecter are owned by the same people, so the quality should be close to my Schecter) oh yeah, i don't want any Gibson fanboys whining at me, Gibsons are losing their quality, deal with it.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'm going to buy the ESP. Thanks!
Quote by SynGates7X
Get the LTD. Gibsons are nowheres near as good as they used to be. You pay 1,000 dollars just for the logo. I have an Avenger Hellraiser by Schecter and it would kill any Gibson (unless maybe the Zakk Wylde one, but the pickups are the same so the only difference would be the wood). Korean made guitars are starting to make a place for themselves in the world. (by the way, ESP and Schecter are owned by the same people, so the quality should be close to my Schecter) oh yeah, i don't want any Gibson fanboys whining at me, Gibsons are losing their quality, deal with it.

ESP and Schecter have nothing in relation to each other other than some far off parent company.

As businesses and guitar developers they have nothing shared.
haha
LTD,since your into metallica,just get the LTD...it should give you the sound you like,because kirk and james uses em
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I recommend you search ebay for Katana Guitars (a store). They deal in Edwards guitars,w hich are shaped like Gibson Explorers but are made by ESP (Actually Edwards, but it goes ESP Custom > ESP Standard > Edwards > LTD) it's about 800-900 including shipping and a hsc.

YESH! I forgot all about Edwards Explorers. They have the old style pre lawsuit ESP explorers which kick major ass for about $800+$150 shipping. I'd say its well worth it. EMG loaded. Check em out on EBay.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
meh, the explorer aint that great. slow neck, bad pick ups, not that great quality.

i'd go esp, good pick ups, body looks cooler, cheaper, just as good if not better quality.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
u could get a second ahnd explorer for like half its retail price

and it'd probably be better quality, gibson isn't that good anymore just expensive
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Look on eBay, get either an Edwards Explorer or a used Gibson Explorer Studio.
Quote by Danno13
Look on eBay, get either an Edwards Explorer or a used Gibson Explorer Studio.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the studios made of Ash?
haha
Well, at least some Explorer Studios were ash.

And the problem I see is it's a lot different than the explorer sound. ash is a lot brighter and open than mahogany.
haha
True. Maybe he could find a Korina explorer? I saw some '80s models selling for about $700 a few weeks ago.
Quote by Danno13
True. Maybe he could find a Korina explorer? I saw some '80s models selling for about $700 a few weeks ago.

Korina's good, but you can only get Korina explorers in nat stain.
haha
http://www.katanaguitars.com/main/top.html

There go to guitars and scroll down till you see the Explorer. Its made just like James Old Explorers. It runs about 900 plus shipping and there on ebay all the time. Its set up with a EMG 81s but you can change the neck. and if you dont like the paint job Paint it
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Could you not look at a gibson goth 2 studio explorer, comes with emg's and is more suited to what you have listed. Surely its the perfect in-between.
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the studios made of Ash?

Poplar Body

I have the specs for a studio seeing as after i bought mine i was interested in info on the neck and pickups. IMO 12" radius is the most comfortable neck to play on.

The X-plorer Studio that featured the mini humbuckers had a pretty high output. The bridge pickup which has a ceramic magnet has a dc resistance of about 22.0k and the neck has about 18.0k. The fingerboard radius is 12". The neck profile is a 60's slim taper. Thank you for the inquiry.

Regards,
Roger Ball
Gibson Customer Service

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Last edited by MESAexplorer at Jun 18, 2006,
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
idk what an explorer would be like with EMGs, but as far as I know, Explorers are made for Southern Rock (which is a bit different that Metallica ) Although I shudder to think that I am recommending something over a Gibson , I'd go with the ESP just to be sure of what tone ur gonna get out of it

Yeah, James Hetfield uses Explorers almost exclusively. Well he used to, he's branched out a little more recently.
given the choice Id take the Gibson, again USA made Gibson (not Epi on the headstock) prob S American mahogany vs. the Korean LTD (no ESP on the headstock) made from asian mahogany. If you ever need to sell it you'll kick yourself for buying an LTD over a real Gibby.
He still used Gibsons ^ Just not as much.

All of his ESPs were pre-lawsuit too. He only has 1 or 2 newer ESPs
EEEEEEEEBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY i say the gibson if u can find one that won't bust ur balls
My Gear
Dean Dime CFH
Fender Metal Head/ MH412 Cab
ESP-F250
Fender standard strat (chopper in bridge/hotrails in neck.)
Epi Les Paul
Epi Wildkat
1986 yamaha (looks a lot like a RG)
Bc Rich Beast platinum pro (custom flame)
Bad Horsie wah
yea Het used the 84 style gibson explorer's back during puppet days, then in 89 or 90 he switched to ESP and has been there ever since. I think ESP made a JH-4 out of the new EX body to kind get the new style out there but I don't think it ever worked out. I'd would go with either an old 84 style gibson without the pickguards or a pre-lawsuit ESP explorer, that's what I'm doing
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
Ya James Used the 84 explorers till ESP started making them. He started using ESP around 88 just as AJFA was coming out. then Gibson sued ESP because everyone was buying there explorer instead of gibsons This happened around '99. So ESP lost and had top change so now we have that ugly pointy thing. They showed it to James in hopes he would endorse it. But he told them it was ugly and pointy and he refused to play with it. Hence why his Sig is now the Truckster
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join