Page 1 of 2
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Soundclips are on page 2!

I am building a Marshall BluesBreaker pedal. I have just recieved all of the parts I ordered from Small Bear Electronics. I began the build tonite.

Some parts and the tool box:

Project box with wholes drilled for 3 pots, a footswitch, a LED, an input, an output:

Perfboard with onboard parts, not yet soldered:

Tomarrow I will be tining the parts so they are ready to solder. I will also probably do the offboard wiring. Then I think I might connect it to try it out to make sure everything is good.

Oh yea! and... for you who know of the pedal called the Zendrive, I met the maker of it. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, where he lives and today I went to a guitar shop and he was there. We talked for a little bit and stuff. Hes an awsome guy. He gave a little bit of advice and stuff.
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jun 29, 2006,
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
Nice how much did it run you?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
That_Pink_Queen
My Avatar Kills Fascists!
5,856 IQ
I don't recommend a plastic box, the gain of those amp sims is pretty high, since the FETs need a large signal to actually clip. I'm guessing you'll pick up ****loads of RF.

Good luck!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Mascot
UG Addict
894 IQ
You met the creator of the Zendrive? Nice.

Good luck on the project.
The Master Plan
UG's Wah *****
1,392 IQ
Have you sold any of the ones you made before?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Thanks everyone.

The Master Plan- This is actually my first project so no I havent sold any before. I expect this to turn out pretty good though so I will continue building probably.

That_Pink_Queen- My dad is thinking that the box might not be big enough and stuff so we might have to get another box anyway. We are going to connect the wires (solder) to make sure it works, and then fix everything up (Bigger box maybe, metal box, paint it, just a few cosmetic things to make sure it will continue to run smooth. And whats RF?

Does anyone know of a website that sells pot knobs? I thought I had ordered them from Small Bear but it turns out that I didnt. Im looking for a cream vintage style knob. Maybe like a fender guitar or amp knob.

And the Zendrive guy, hes pretty cool. He says he used to invent and make parts for NASA. And he has like all kinds of degrees, making him really smart. He said that when he moved down to Florida, even though he had all of those degrees, no one would hire him so he inventer the Zendrive. He had a box of them with him at the guitar store but not for sale, only for some of the people to try. He has a waiting list for the pedal.
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jun 18, 2006,
power freak
Counting to infinity...
1,431 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
And the Zendrive guy, hes pretty cool. He says he used to invent and make parts for NASA. And he has like all kinds of degrees, making him really smart. He said that when he moved down to Florida, even though he had all of those degrees, no one would hire him so he inventer the Zendrive. He had a box of them with him at the guitar store but not for sale, only for some of the people to try. He has a waiting list for the pedal.

Indeed he does, I think it's nearly 6 months now... Because it's the best damn OD of all time..

*is not biased because he owns the pedal at all*

I wish Alf came over to the UK, from what I've read he's an awesome guy...

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Ok guys. I soldered each component to the holes they go through. I will connect the parts together maybe tomarrow or something. I also attached and soldered wires to the offboard parts so they are ready to be connected.
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Heres some pictures of what I did last night.

Heres the perfboard with the components soldered to their holes: (Sorry, its veryy hard to see.)

Heres some of the offboard components with wires connect to them so they can me connected:

I decided to make it true bypass so im going to have to go to radioshack to get a 3PDT footswitch instead of my DPDT.
fronkpies
UG's Dirty Workman
387 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz

Oh yea! and... for you who know of the pedal called the Zendrive, I met the maker of it. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, where he lives and today I went to a guitar shop and he was there. We talked for a little bit and stuff. Hes an awsome guy. He gave a little bit of advice and stuff.

that is a great pedal.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
V12prowler
UG's Pyro Guitarist
1,170 IQ
you can get knobs at radioshack......and that DPDT switch will work for making it true bypass, you dont need to change it
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
V12prowler
UG's Pyro Guitarist
1,170 IQ
^ no.......DPDT is for true bypass, 3PDT is for true bypass WITH an LED wired into the switch. I have modded mamy wah pedals to true bypass and used DPDT switches on some of them that didnt have LEDs and they are still true bypass.

EDIT: if you dont believe me check out this link
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Last edited by V12prowler at Jun 19, 2006,
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
But if you go to the project file of the BluesBreaker, its a DPDT for Original non-true bypass with led and its 3PDT for true bypass with led. look at the project file: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_bluesbreaker.pdf
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Ok... New UPDATE:

I bought some knobs for the Volume, Gain, and Tone controls. They are Gibson Les Paul style. Here they are seperate and just layed on their place on the box:

Heres my soldering iron, solder, and extra wire:

Heres a picture of the board with some of the offboard wiring and onboard soldering done:

call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
haha yea I know. I will see if it works. It might be strange though so i might use others. I hope this pedal works! It looks like everything is set up good and everything is connected rght, but I wont know until im done and hook everything up.
Striketalonx
UG Addict
960 IQ
Quote by Mascot
Those are some funky knobs for a pedal.

yes they are, but the look intrigues me.
Can't wait for this to be done and I can see the final product!
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Hey guys. Sorry about no updates in a few days. I just bought a PRS Custom 24 Ten-Top 20th Anniversary yesterday so I have been busy playing that. I should have some updates maybe tomarrow and hopefully it will be done in about 1-2 more days of working on it.
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
HUGE UPDATE!!!!

Today I worked on the pedal and guess what??? I finished!!!! I was so scared to plug it in and see if it worked but I went and did it. I plugged it in, fixed all of the settings and pressed the footswitch....

The blue LED appeared. I played a note. It sounded freaking AMAZING! I fixed all of the settings (Gain-10, Volume-10, Tone-10) and wow!!! This thing is powerful! It can OD so freaking hard! It also boosted my sound at least 2-3 times when I pressed the footswitch off! It is amazing what it sounds like. I am so excited because this is my first build and it turned out great! I love its sound. It actually sounds like a tube amp and its very punchy like a Jimi Hendrix OD with punchy single coil pickups!

I will post the pictures and sound clips later. I need to go buy a bigger box for the pedal because right now everything doesnt fit in it.
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Quote by Fast_Bear
Hahaha, congradulations! Can't wait to see it! you gonna do anything to the case?

Well... I have to buy a new box for it because the one its in right now is too small. Its actually half in the box and half out right now . I might spray paint or just regular paint it. Im not sure yet though. I probably just want to play around with it for a while now. But in the future I might make a project out of painting it.
seljer
UG Resident
1,386 IQ
Nice I just finished another Tubescreamer myself, have yet to test it though
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Quote by Fast_Bear
Cool! Thought you can always do this. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/logo.htm On a larger scale!

Looks perfect, but will it stick and blend on plastic?
seljer
UG Resident
1,386 IQ
We need some soundclips

My 2 tube screamers:

just one of them over the clean channel, works good for your general classic rock rythm work but kind of missing a bit for any leads
http://g0g0g0.dyndns.org/omgwtf/fuzzpedal/tubescreamer.mp3

the dirty channel of my solid state amp with the drive on about 5, then with one of them kicked in, then with both of them kicked in...then I think I did the lead part with only one of them, can't remember....
http://g0g0g0.dyndns.org/omgwtf/fuzzpedal/tubescreamer1.mp3

My camera's batteries are empty so no pics for now
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Quote by seljer
We need some soundclips

My 2 tube screamers:

just one of them over the clean channel, works good for your general classic rock rythm work but kind of missing a bit for any leads
http://g0g0g0.dyndns.org/omgwtf/fuzzpedal/tubescreamer.mp3

the dirty channel of my solid state amp with the drive on about 5, then with one of them kicked in, then with both of them kicked in...then I think I did the lead part with only one of them, can't remember....
http://g0g0g0.dyndns.org/omgwtf/fuzzpedal/tubescreamer1.mp3

My camera's batteries are empty so no pics for now

awsome. my BluesBreaker sounds slightly similar, but with a punchy single coil sound which is awsome. i will record clips tomarrow and post them.
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
does anyone know a way to host the sound clips. i have dmusic but its just too much work the way i have to change the file type and all so i want just a quick website to host so i can add a link here so you can hear it.
darkinertia
289 IQ
i hope those leds arent as bright as my LEDS on my danelectro FAB pedal haha...those were so bright, i put electrical tape on it and it was still as bright as a regular LED
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Quote by darkinertia
i hope those leds arent as bright as my LEDS on my danelectro FAB pedal haha...those were so bright, i put electrical tape on it and it was still as bright as a regular LED

Yea mine are extremely bright. In the picture it almost hurts my eyes looking at it.
seljer
UG Resident
1,386 IQ
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Yea mine are extremely bright. In the picture it almost hurts my eyes looking at it.

You can use a +10kohm series resistor without too much trouble if you're using ultrabright LEDs (which are bright as hell anyway)

it'll save battery life too (in really simple circuits that don't use much power the LED can easily eat up more power than the the actual circuit if you're running it bright)
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Finally Sound clips (sort of video clips but the because I was recording through a camcorder). They are with my Hartke GT60C amp, PRS Custom 24 guitar, and Marshall BluesBreaker pedal:

Little Wing (BluesBreaker off), then Voodoo Child (BluesBreaker on): http://media.putfile.com/Little-Wing-to-Voodoo-Child

Black Dog main riffs with a bit of improvising at the end (BluesBreaker on): http://media.putfile.com/Black-Dog-80

Sweet Home Alabama (BluesBreaker on/off random switching): http://media.putfile.com/Sweet-Home-Alabama-66

Purple Haze (BluesBreaker on): http://media.putfile.com/Purple-Haze-37
Syn Harvest
Is So High
1,303 IQ
Dude it sounds awesome
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
call1800ksmyazz
Affectronix
4,964 IQ
Thanks, it is great!

Another Soundclip:

Enter Sandman (Just the simplicities of it to show you how much the Marshall BluesBreaker I build can boost the overdrive of my amps overdrive a lot. When the blue LED is on, the BluesBreaker is on, when the LED is off, so is the BluesBreaker.): http://media.putfile.com/Enter-Sandman-32
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jul 3, 2006,