i have been playing guitar since last christmas all i have been doing is learing how to play the songs i like. I dont know any scales exept 1 i think its called ''a'' pentatonic. i dont get theory and i want to be a great lead guitar player. What do i have to do to become a ''great guitar player''.
dam
that sounds similar to what im doing

ive also only been playing songs i like
n i dont feel like learning any scales or anything
Well you have to learn scales the a minor pentatonic is the simplest one for me and you have to practice them every day in order to get you fingers working fast and strong.Also try grip-masters they help your fingers get stronger.

xxZeroxx
"VANDALISM: Beautiful As A Rock In A Cop's Face."
Kurt Cobain
That's exactly what I do...it's a pain trying to write songs without knowing any scales.
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
get speed mechanics for lead guitar and go to www.guitarprinciples. Great tips on technique. also id try out troy stetinas metal lead guitar series.
Member # 2 of the Kiss Sucks and Has Too Much **** They Hock as Merchindise Club Pm DoTheEvolution to join.
Learn a basic theory knowledge, (Scales: Minor Harmonic, Major Pentatonic Scale, Blues Scale, amongst a few)

That stuff helps, but most importantly...

STOP READING TAB!

Turn on the AC/DC or whatever you like to play to, and when the solo comes on, just play something you like... but there are two ways of playing... with your hands or your brain..

Don't take it the wrong way though, to play with your hands, you know licks and stuff that are sweet to solo with and you throw em in there.

With your brain... imagine what you would want the solo to sound like... "Man... right here a sweet bend, a speed run and yea!" Imagine if you could play any solo ever, what you would play... then figure out how to play it (Which helps if you stop reading tab, start playing by ear)
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Grip masters are or is a thing you put in the palm of your hand and with you fingers push down on 4 circles and you can choose the weght of your skill.(light,medium,heavy)and then start to do a 1,2,3,4 step with your fingers and that will help you with your speed.
"VANDALISM: Beautiful As A Rock In A Cop's Face."
Kurt Cobain
Quote by dima210
what are grip masters?im too poor to get a teacher

lol, community college classes are pretty cheap. Ugh, I guess about 25 bucks for 4 months, 3hrs a week. Eh, sounded like a pretty good deal to me. It beats private lessons... at least, if you're a beginner.
You don't really need to stop reading tab...Maybe tabs for songs...but other then tab you can only sight read..and thats real hard lol. But, check out www.ibreathemusic.com they have real great articles there, along with www.guitar9.com and www.guitartricks.com is real good, they have a buttload of mp3 and vids there, but its like 5 bucks a month wich is WAY cheaper then ANY teacher. But consider a teacher, espcially for music theory, even if thats all you really get from the person.