what does the type of wood of a guitar have on the sound or tone?
Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?- Ron White
The ever famous mahogany
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
It has a lot of effect... the different wood vibrates differently from the notes, resulting in different tone. Build also changes the tone and sound quite a bit. I can't really list all of the woods and effects though
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
It pretty much effects 60% of your tone, wood is a pretty important part of the tone. A crappy wood such as agathis(plywood) is usually found on cheaper guitars like Squires and B.C Rich. It also determines if the guitar will have a deep or bright tone. Wood like Mahogany, which is usually found on guitars like Les Pauls will have a deeper/thicker tone, whilst wood like Alder, which are usually found on strats will have a brighter/richer tone.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
i see, so what would be best for metal
what kind of tone does rose wood have?
Good. Any wood has a certain tone, the only crappy wood that I know of is Agathis, basswood can also sound crappy sometimes. It's really all based on personal prefrence.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
One word.....Spruce.

Spruce ages better than any other wood, when it reachs 20+ years it gains an unmatchable tone, that is it you play it for those 20 years