ok, i only know like three people who play instruments, and two of them are already in bands, although the bands arent really serious. im not exactly the most social person, being i hate like... people... anyway, i was wondering what kind of advice i could get for like, advertising or something, people to find, etc.? any help would be appreciated.
I would suggest putting up your info at a local music shop, or putting an ad in some classifieds. A lot of good bands have started from classifieds.
Well what I did was make a crap load of posters in my school saying Bass and Drummer wanted and put phone number on the poster and the genre of the band but just a word to the wise if you do this you will get prank phone calls, But wont they feel silly when you get all Famous eh?
Posted by:forty-six_and_2
I molested a spider once...

Posted by:forty-six_and_2
Does anyone need tips on molesting a spider? PM me!I'll give advice on how to get the most pleasure out of it, Forty's Spider Molestation classes are now open!
Well you can talk to the people who you have in mind, just let them know what you're thinking about. You could also put a sign up in your local music stores with your phone number and say something about what you're looking for.

There was an article on here about this a while ago, but I can't remember what it was called.

edit : I think this is the one i meant

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/attention_potential_band_members.html

and this may also help you :
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/band_starting_101.html

and also this :
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/dude_do_you_like_wanna_be_in_my_band.html

I hate to attack you with links, but there's good informaion there.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Last edited by iain4444 at Jun 17, 2006,
yeah, just put up signs, and ask people you know to jam w/you.
Well if you hate people then maybe the whole band thing isn't going to work. If you still are going to pursue this ask around school you could probably find the people you are looking for...
Quote by Pinb@11
Well if you hate people then maybe the whole band thing isn't going to work. If you still are going to pursue this ask around school you could probably find the people you are looking for...

Psh, I'm in a band, and I hate people...I'm not even in a metal band!
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
yea but seriously, i DO hate people.. even the people i know and are friends with i always consider dumbasses compared to me, and i do recognize that seeing things that way makes me myself an ass, but i dont really care. ****, let them know i think they are dumbasses, i really could care less. however that doesnt keep me from enjoying my time with them. but this attitude has caused problems with me and other half-aquaintences, and those are the only people ive met that play any instruments. so im kind of at a loss with everyone in my school. any of the people i do know of for sure that play instruments are already in emo bands, and the like three people i do know that play i dont think are really interested in being in a band. so im pretty much screwed, except for the remote hope that i can find some way to advertise around the school for people that play that i didnt know play, but without like having to hold a stupid audition or something, where they will show up and be like "oh, its you.. i dont like you." cuz i kind of blow everyone i think is a dumbass off, so i bet a lot of people hate me. anyway, like some way of like you know, advertising for people to come talk to me like at school i guess or something, but not like showing up at my house or something.(sounds kinda impossible the way i put it, but im exagerating i think)
well, how about this...

put up posters and/or a classified ad.

unfortunately, you have no choice but to eventually meet with the people who respond. the audition doesn't have to be a real "audition," you can just get together one day, both with instruments, and play some tunes and see what happens.

if it's someone you don't like, or who you think doesn't like you, forget about it. just ask them if they're willing to start fresh. if you really want, you could treat it like work. lots of bands don't even talk to each other outside of rehearsals and gigs. maybe people will be cool with that.

so yeah... there's not much else you can do.
go solo...take a guitar class (assuming you're in high school) so that you can meet other musicians...trust me, a cool lick is a much better icebreaker than a hello
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I actually had a gtr and bass plr come up to me at a school dance, they heard i was a good guitarist and asked me if i wanted to show them some stuff, when they saw i was better than them (by at least 3 fold) they made me their lead gtr.
All i do is teach but their getting good all we need is a drummer and singer
You need to be a solo artist, as you sound like you've got real issues. You're clearly not a people person, which being in a band is about. Why dont you try being a nice person in your life and then people might actually want to be in a band with you. Being in a band is hard work, and you have to love the poeple you are working with.
You can always learn to play guitar, bass, and drums,record yourself playing each instrument seperately and then over dub them. The problem with this is that you wouldn't be able to do gigs, which is pretty much the best way to get your music noticed. It's what I plan to do since I despise everyone I've ever met.
Well don't start your ad with "I hate people. Wanna form a band?" On the other hand if people think you're being ironic then it might actually work...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by doggy_hat
You can always learn to play guitar, bass, and drums,record yourself playing each instrument seperately and then over dub them. The problem with this is that you wouldn't be able to do gigs, which is pretty much the best way to get your music noticed. It's what I plan to do since I despise everyone I've ever met.

Well, that could work for gigging. You'd have to do one of two things, in my opinion:

Pre-record all the other instruments (except for the one you'd be playing live) and run the CD containing that "backing track" through the PA along with your instrument and vocals.
Run one guitar through some sort of signal splitter and run it to two different guitar amps and a bass amp. Then, of course, you'd still need either a pre-recorded drum track or a drum machine.

Anyway, that's just my take. If neither of those works for you, you could still do a simple three-song demo to pass out to prospective bandmates to give them an idea of the direction you want to head in.
Quote by doggy_hat

That's what trent reznor from nine inch nails does. When he records albums he does all the instruments by himself and pieces them together with editing programs. But when they go on tour he gets a band together to play the songs live.
Quote by OpposingForce
That's what trent reznor from nine inch nails does. When he records albums he does all the instruments by himself and pieces them together with editing programs. But when they go on tour he gets a band together to play the songs live.

Not entirely correct. He does play most of it but he still has other musicians come in, you can check the liner notes to each CD to find out which songs have other musicians. I'm not positive about all the albums but I know for sure there are other musicians on The Fragile, so I would figure most of the other albums would be done ina similar manner.

I would recommend learning all the instruments like others say not because you can play all of your own music but it will make you a more valuable band memeber once you get a band together because you'll be able to piece together all sorts of different parts, as well come up with stuff easier
I listen to music and I don't need your opinions about what I listen to.