Okay I dont know if this goes in here (sorry mods if it doesnt). By the way I meant modifiers, not moderators, just to clarify so I dont get banned.

But anyway, I was looking through around the net the other day and saw alot of modders AND builders who are so esteemed and seem to make the same sh*t that others have made for quite some time. Theres no change in the way that they do things. There stuff dont seem to sound any better. And they charge 10 times what it would cost to do it yourself.

Dont get me wrong on UG there alot of good modders and builders, Pink Queen, Callum, and tons of others that I cant think of right off the top of my head. But then I see some on here who arent as great as everyone makes them out to be. Why is that?

But anyway, who are some modders/builders yall have run into over the years who arent all that theyre made out to be?
Good question, but could be kinda controversial.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Who are we talking about here? Specifically? People on UG or commercial builders?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Who are we talking about here? Specifically? People on UG or commercial builders?

Both. Personally, and I dont want to step on anyones toes here, but I think that Ormsby is a little over rated. I mean his guitars look good, but after listening to the sound clips they just sound like any old guitar in the hands of someone who knows how to play. Cord, is another one. I mean his stuff looks good but Im not a huge fan of acoustics, and I fell like I've seen all of his stuff before. And there are a few others here on UG but most of the people Im talking about are just the people out there on the net claiming to be the best at building guitars or pedals, they just piss me off. Because I've seen all the same stuff hundreds of times before.
Cord and Perry are not over rated, so what if you have seen what these are doing a million times before you will see guitars that look pretty much like theirs in any guitar shop. Their work is special though, its not all about looks its attention to detail(good fret work, clean wood working and an eye for detail) that set them apart from a lot of people, their guitars might sound like any other to you but look at Perry. He has Graham Greene using his guitars, He endorses Ibanez(or did) yet he chooses Perry's guitars, which in my eyes really says something about the quality of his work. You just don't get they same quality of work with a factory made guitar as you do with one made by hand, have you seen what Gibson puts out: http://gibson.com/products/custom/csu/images/summer/tenonhalf.jpg">this
neck joints like that are meant to be tight fits, they as you can see are not. You just wouldn't find that on a hand made guitar, and i wouldn't want it on any of my guitars.
As for sound whats wrong if it sounds like another guitar, that's what the customer could have asked for, a much better made version of there favourite sounding guitar, doesn't mean that the Luther's work is over rated at all.

Anyhow, don't judge the book by its cover and so on, they are bloody good builders who deserve all the praise they get.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Last edited by givemeaname at Jun 18, 2006,
Hah, I for one know I'm way overrated. I mean, on here it looks like I know tons, but in the big picture I'm a n00000b.

And Cord gets all my respect for sure, even if you don't dig acoustics, his work is really fantastic...

I don't think being overrated is the issue, I think people are apt to acquiring overinflated egos.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

I don't think being overrated is the issue, I think people are apt to acquiring overinflated egos.

*watches pinks avatar*
^STFU!
goin back to cord, didn't he say that he had found some new x-bracing or something which is unique to him? coz if he has, then he is most definitely counted out of being overrated. (even though i wouldn't say he is ovverated anyway)
Well out of UG there is a guitar teacher in my town who is seriously overated, espically by the people who teach him for making guitars. He apparently makes them himself when really its obvious he buys kits (espically when you feel the necks) then rediculously over charges just for the artwork. Check out the site http://www.schael.co.uk/index.html
^That site reeks of chincyness.
There are gazzillions of Tubescreamer and Fuzzface clones all over the internet. Many of them are good put the concept has been overdone these days.... (though I'd have to admit that I'm guilty of it :S )
OK... I'm closing this.

We don't have the right to talk about the quality of other peoples work... They put their heart and souls into it and make (what they feel) are the best guitars/amps/whatever in the world. You may not agree with what they say but who cares? They ARE using quality materails and they ARE structurally sound.

I wouldn't be so angry with this thread if it were just about "random" internet folk but insulting our very own UG users is the lowest of the low. You should all feel ashamed of yourselves. Making instruments is an art form, we should all be congratulating each other for thinking outside of the box and for not putting up with the sea of mediocrity that is the commercial guitar market.

I am not going to warn anybody because I don't think it has got to that stage.... yet. But any other threads on similar subjects will result in warnings/bannings (expecially if they include derogatory comments towards other users.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details