Well, I've decided that I want to move up from my little starter guitar, and I want to go to the next level(I'm still saving money :/) However, I'm not sure which guitar I want to shoot for...At first I found the Jackson KE3 Kelly, and I really liked the body shape, and the specs. (If I get this one, I'd probaly get it in red). I went to a guitar shop in Maryland(was visiting my aunt) and got to play around with it. (Not this exact guitar, but a strat shaped version of it) It wasn't bad, but I found the high-set frets a little weird(threw me off quite a bit in the store )
However, after looking around more at Musicians Friend, I found the Ibanez RG1570. Now, I didn't want another strap-shaped guitar, but I already have an Ibanez(the starter pack), and I've gotten quite used to how the Ibanez feels, but I'm not sure which one I'm particulary going to like playing more. I'm willing to save up to 800$, if you guys have anything else to recommend.

Now, what I was originally looking for was a flying V with a Floyd Rose in it, but I can't seem to find one for 800$ so

Oh, as for what I play. I play alot of thrash metal, (tech) death metal, Pantera , and a fair share of shred(Lots o' Malmsteem). As for my amp, I have a Crate GT1200H 120 watt setup, without any effects.
The new Jackson 2006 X-Series KVX10 King V guitar is a Flying V with a Floyd Rose, too bad its a liscenced one though.
Well, out of those two go with the KE3. Its made of FAR better wood than the RG1570... But if you are still interested in a Flying V, there is the RR3 which is the same quality level as the kelly, but in the rhoads shape..
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Well, out of those two go with the KE3. Its made of FAR better wood than the RG1570... But if you are still interested in a Flying V, there is the RR3 which is the same quality level as the kelly, but in the rhoads shape..

Are you crazy? Since when is Alder a FAR better wood than basswood? If hes looking for a metal guitar, alder wouldnt be the greatest choice. Its sort of a bright wood, while basswood tone wise has characteristics of alder AND mahogony.

Playability and comfort wise, the 1570 also takes the edge, with that real thin prestige neck.

And above all, that jackson has the standard LISCENSED Floyd rose piece of ****.... The ibanez comes with the edge pro, IMO the best FR in the business.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by Striketalonx

Just checked it, damn, that's a nice looking guitar. My only complaint is the 22 frets (Not that it matters, but I would like those other 2 frets )

When it says jumbo-frets, are those the high set ones I was talking about earlier? How easier are they to get used to, and in the end do they help your playing? When I played the KE3 at the store, I had a hard time hitting some of the licks in Far Beyond The Sun(particulary the sweeps, but I'm new to sweeps so )
I personally like Ibanez's alot more than Jacksons. I think they are typically better-made, so my vote goes for the Ibanez.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by ClassicAxe
Are you crazy? Since when is Alder a FAR better wood than basswood? If hes looking for a metal guitar, alder wouldnt be the greatest choice. Its sort of a bright wood, while basswood tone wise has characteristics of alder AND mahogony.

Playability and comfort wise, the 1570 also takes the edge, with that real thin prestige neck.

And above all, that jackson has the standard LISCENSED Floyd rose piece of ****.... The ibanez comes with the edge pro, IMO the best FR in the business.

Since always alder has always been better than basswood. The only thing basswood beats alder at is weight. Alder may = brighter, but thats only the better for those metal solo's and cutting through over your mahogany (hopefully) rythmn section.

+

The 2006 model jacksons have a new floyd. Still licensed, but made of better materials. Get your head out of the gutter you Ibanez fan boy, and actually check out the guitars you are trying to bring down
KE3 is a great thing, even if I only say so because I have one. And if you're into V-shape, just like the guys above said, get an RR3 model, it's basically same as Kelly KE3 but with a V body. And don't listen to crap about Jacksons sucking, that's just ignorant - they're in no way worse, if not better, than Ibanez guitars for metal.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
arn't V's a bitch to play sitting down though?
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
yeah they are :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by Cocnut Rag

for the first two or three weeks...
yes they are super annoying.
But I find myself playing my Soloist like that after getting used to my Flying V...
Quote by Cocnut Rag

I've actually heard they're real good. if you put your right leg between the V area voila a comfortable way of playing a V.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I wouldn't buy the KE3. If the trem on it was as good as the Edge Pro or the Official Floyds, they'd put them on their top of the line models too, but they don't. So I conclude that it's not as good, which of course is difficult when the Edge Pro is possibly the best trem available today.

Also, I'd say basswood is better for metal than alder, especially since the Jackson has Duncans in it which generally suck in alder. Sure you could replace the pickups, but alder is an awkward wood for metal. You'd be best of replacing the pickups in the 1570 aswell, but it'd be far easier to get suitable ones for the job.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Tsunekuni
Just checked it, damn, that's a nice looking guitar. My only complaint is the 22 frets (Not that it matters, but I would like those other 2 frets )

Both guitars have 24....and RG1570 FTW...no questions...
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Quote by Cocnut Rag

just play it the classical way, also rg1570 aswell
Just simply go to the guitar shop and fin a guitar that you like. Take a look for flaws, check the price, and see if the owners will let you play it on an amp, if they do, try it out and see if you like it. If they don't theyr'e assholes and you don't want theyr'e guitar anyway :-D
Quote by redaxe
Both guitars have 24....and RG1570 FTW...no questions...

I was referring to the RR3(The Randy Rhoads V). It looks real purdy, but it only has 22 frets.

^I would, but the only guitar shop we have here only has Gibsons and Fenders, with a few ESP's tossed around.

From the sounds of it, the trem system in the RG1570 is superior, which is important to me. And I don't want too much hassle with pick-ups right out of the box I'm thinking I'm gonna go with the RG1570(heh, but I still have another 2 months or so to change my mind )...
Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Just simply go to the guitar shop and fin a guitar that you like. Take a look for flaws, check the price, and see if the owners will let you play it on an amp, if they do, try it out and see if you like it. If they don't theyr'e assholes and you don't want theyr'e guitar anyway :-D

yea dude, go check out ALL the guitars at a guitar shop. you have no idea what you might find, and it will renew your outlook on things. the two guitars you are looking at might not even be something you want for sound because you have only checked one out right? and who knows, you will probably find a guitar you want more, and it might be cheaper.. and they will definately let you try it out on an amp as long as they think you are actually looking to buy something. they wouldn't throw away a sale thats worth as much as a good guitar just cuz they dont want you to play it.
Quote by Striketalonx
Since always alder has always been better than basswood. The only thing basswood beats alder at is weight. Alder may = brighter, but thats only the better for those metal solo's and cutting through over your mahogany (hopefully) rythmn section.

+

The 2006 model jacksons have a new floyd. Still licensed, but made of better materials. Get your head out of the gutter you Ibanez fan boy, and actually check out the guitars you are trying to bring down

I dont care if they came out with a new trem, its still far inferior to a high end ibanez trem, and im an Ibanez fanboy becuase i own their products and they are superb. Why would i not support excellent products? Are you mental?

If i brought down the Kelly, then you brought down the Ibanez. I have legitament reasons to bring down the kelly, which i have already supported in other posts which i dont feel like mentioning again. On the other hand, besides not being the greatest pickups, you CANT bring down the ibanez, which is why i suggested it over the kelly. Now that makes me a fanboy right?

You truely are a moron of the highest order. Check out the people you are trying to bring down, because i dont put up with no sh!t.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
i have a guitar called "the paul" by gibson i just had the frets leveled, but my un wound g string still buzzes on the frets anyone know what could be the problem?
Quote by ClassicAxe
I dont care if they came out with a new trem, its still far inferior to a high end ibanez trem, and im an Ibanez fanboy becuase i own their products and they are superb. Why would i not support excellent products? Are you mental?

If i brought down the Kelly, then you brought down the Ibanez. I have legitament reasons to bring down the kelly, which i have already supported in other posts which i dont feel like mentioning again. On the other hand, besides not being the greatest pickups, you CANT bring down the ibanez, which is why i suggested it over the kelly. Now that makes me a fanboy right?

You truely are a moron of the highest order. Check out the people you are trying to bring down, because i dont put up with no sh!t.

Besides the fact that basswood = cheap firewood, only slightly better than agathis???
Quote by Striketalonx
Besides the fact that basswood = cheap firewood, only slightly better than agathis???

basswood is so not firewood. why would a respected company such as Ibanez use basswood on many of its prestige models after all its only just slightly better than agathis.

edit:
Quote by gutterslash
i have a guitar called "the paul" by gibson i just had the frets leveled, but my un wound g string still buzzes on the frets anyone know what could be the problem?

you action is too low. you can take it in for a full set up which i would recommend or fix it yourself
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Jun 19, 2006,
Quote by Striketalonx

lol.Wood choice is totally personal preferance. Stop forcing your opinion on people.

As far as what guitar. The jackson will have better pickups if its a 2006 model and an ok trem, and the ibanez will have the better trem and ok pickups. There are also other guitars to consider at around that price point such as the schecter hellraiser fr (real emgs, ofr).
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
i say get jackson over ibanez, rhoads or kelly shape is totally up to the person buying but imo rhoades is better
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
Jackson over the Ibanez. Everyone and their dog plays an Ibanez. The pickups aren't too good on them either. the Jackson (Rhoads or Kelly) is more interesting to look at and to hear.