OK, I have been playing for over three years and I am total rubbish at reading guitar tabs. I can't read a mite of them! Please help me a my dumbness out!! I feel so dumb. I'm tied down o only reading chords. PLease help!
Jazzer by day, rocker by night

Gear:

Washburn Lyon- (my mate)- Maverick
Fender Acoustic- (my brother)- Lou
and my favorite

Selmer Hummingbird
Reference 54 Alto Saxophone (my baby)- Apollo
Since I'm tired right now, I'll just give you the basics:

p=pull-off
h=hammer-on
/=slide up
\=slide down
b or ^=bend
*=natural harmonic
ph=pinched harmonic
(6)=ghost note
P.M.=palm mute

And that's basically it.

Oops, forgot these:

~=let note ring
t=tapping w/ pick hand
tr=trill
12b13=bend at the 12th fret so the note sounds like a half step higher
Last edited by Andrew Zara at Jun 18, 2006,
Don't beat yourself up. Tabliture is easy to read. Okay the six lines represents the all the strings of the guitar (they go from top to bottom E B G D A e) and the numbers represents frets on the fretboard from the neck up, easy enough? Lets take an example

E-----
B--3--
G------
D-----
A-----
e-----

Here you're only playing the 3 fret of the B string. Get it? Now if the numbers are on top of each other you play them at the same time
E-3
B-3
G-0
D-0
A-2
e-3
You play all the notes at the same time to make this G chord. Oh and remember that if there is a zero on one of the lines (lets say D) that strike the D string without holding down a fret. It's really easy, I recomend that you learn how to read notes as well.

P.S. I hope this is what you're asking or I'd look pretty stupid right now
Quote by Doc_Holiday
Don't beat yourself up. Tabliture is easy to read. Okay the six lines represents the all the strings of the guitar (they go from top to bottom E B G D A e) and the numbers represents frets on the fretboard from the neck up, easy enough? Lets take an example

E-----
B--3--
G------
D-----
A-----
e-----

Here you're only playing the 3 fret of the B string. Get it? Now if the numbers are on top of each other you play them at the same time
E-3
B-3
G-0
D-0
A-2
e-3
You play all the notes at the same time to make this G chord. Oh and remember that if there is a zero on one of the lines (lets say D) that strike the D string without holding down a fret. It's really easy, I recomend that you learn how to read notes as well.

P.S. I hope this is what you're asking or I'd look pretty stupid right now

Doc, u hav the E's mixed up, its EADGBE
Get Powertabs or buy a book that has the music you want in tab form.

The so-called "tabs" that you'll find most of the time on the net are pure garbage
if they're tabs to a specific song (exercises are a different story).

The internet tab format doesn't have note lengths. That's not even music.
At least Powertabs does, plus it will play it in MIDI!
Quote by 2timminsa
buy guitar pro for around £15 is a good buy, try the trial version

Or he could buy PowerTab for £0.
Doc, u hav the E's mixed up, its EADGBE

On a guitar yes, but in tabliture the E's are backwards.