I think i'm going to buy a Epi Valve Junior pretty soon here, not having played one but I have played similar amps and loved the crunch, but wanted to really push those tubes into vai/satriani-esque tones.

1: What does a tube screamer do exactly? Just boost the volume extremely? Or is it just like a distortion pedal?

2: What is involved in adding a rectifer tube I could switch on and off? What does a rectifer tube do exactly? My only knowledge on it is that on my digitech multiFX the rectifer setting gives me alot more gain and distortion. Is this anything like one actually would?

3: Any pedals / mods you would suggest for me to do on it? Any suggestions are extremely appreciated!
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
At the www.18watt.com forums theres a thread that's like 50 pages long dedicated to modding the Valve Jr.

The TS boosts the volume, and adds a bit of distortion with clipping diodes.

And adding a rectifier tube would be pretty hard on a PCB based amp...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I think that on your multi FX, the "rectifier" setting, is modelling a Mesa Dual Rectifier.....(?)

I played a Valve Jr, it didn't impress me in the slightest, but I didn't let it warm up for that long, and argh, the buzzing! So if you get a combo, get one from 2006, when they apparently fixed the buzzing.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
A rectifier tube doesn't change the gain. It changes the 'sag'. And you pretty much have to play something with a rectifier tube to feel what that's like.
1. well yeah, its litteraly a distortion pedal. but if you turn the level up, and the gain down, it boosts the level of the signal so it's a lot stronger when it hits the pre-amp getting more saturation.

this ones funny, to add one, it'd be a huge modding process, and you don't want to. the rectifer setting on you multiFX is an amp model copying a mesa boogie rectifer amp. which have a lot of gain and are really heavy amps. the rectifer section of the amp is the part that transfers the ac current from the outlet into dc current for the amp to use. tube rectifiers arn't all that great for heavy music. they're a bitt saggy. diode rectifiers are better for rock and the like.

3. a good boost (maxon OD9) and maybe swapp the tubes and speaker later.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
R H C P: I would definetly buy one from '06, wouldn't want the buzzing. Why didn't you like the valve junior? Seems everyone I talk to loved it. Anything else you would suggest over it in a similar price range?

Alright, so addding a recitifier wouldn't do what I was thinking, thanks for that answer! But heres some more questions:

1: By putting the TS infront of it, I am boosting the power amp as well as adding SS clipping? Is this really what I want to do? Will I lose the pure tube tone by doing this?

2: By doing a gain mod on the valve junior, where does the gain go to? Is that hitting the preamp causing preamp gain or just causing the power amp to get overloaded faster?
Crate XT120r Amp
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Quote by Revan
R H C P: I would definetly buy one from '06, wouldn't want the buzzing. Why didn't you like the valve junior? Seems everyone I talk to loved it. Anything else you would suggest over it in a similar price range?

Alright, so addding a recitifier wouldn't do what I was thinking, thanks for that answer! But heres some more questions:

1: By putting the TS infront of it, I am boosting the power amp as well as adding SS clipping? Is this really what I want to do? Will I lose the pure tube tone by doing this?

2: By doing a gain mod on the valve junior, where does the gain go to? Is that hitting the preamp causing preamp gain or just causing the power amp to get overloaded faster?

1: by putting a TS infront of it you're boosting everything, both preamp and poweramp. As well as adding some clipping and the pedal has a well known mid-boosty quality to it.
Is that what you want to do? maybe Stevei Ray Vaughn had 2 Tube screamers that he'd use for most of his stuff and he sounded damn good.
Otherwise you can find other pedals that offer more of a clean boost (EQ pedals or other specific clean boosts...)

2: the one on here http://www.euthymia.org/DIY/VJmods.html regarding R6? it gives the preamp more gain, which in turn means everthing after that stage will hit the clipping threshold faster
man i played the valve junior combo at my local store 2 weeks ago, and i cranked it, let it warm up for 2 mins., and i got HARDLY any overdrive. it stayed almsot percfectly clean on max volume. wtf?
Quote by Dyaxe666
man i played the valve junior combo at my local store 2 weeks ago, and i cranked it, let it warm up for 2 mins., and i got HARDLY any overdrive. it stayed almsot percfectly clean on max volume. wtf?

Thats typical for practically all small tube amps ("wheres the distortion?"). You really need to boost the signal a bit of you want some dirtier sounds.
Quote by Dyaxe666

How much was "HARDLY any overdrive"? I'm intereted in getting one, and I'll probably purchase a Boss OD-3 with it. Was it getting up to AC-DC gain levels?

And if not, maybe the tubes were getting old? Can this cause loss of gain?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by Revan

The one I tried was probably from before 2006, but it just didn't seem all that impressive to me by itself, but it's very good for its price, probably just requires an EQ pedal and it'll sound great, but for some reason it just didn't float my boat, I was probably subconsciously comparing it to my Blues Jr.

And Sam, when I overdriven the Valve Jr I tried, it defintaly got to AC/DC type gain.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^ Thanks. Any good EQ pedals for £50 - £70? I hear the boss one has a lot of noise.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
^ Thanks. Any good EQ pedals for £50 - £70? I hear the boss one has a lot of noise.

I've even heard quiet a bit of good stuff about the cheapo Danelectro one.

Other than that you get the MXR ones which are good enough
Maybe adding a really good eq in like this
http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog%2F02%5FHome%5FStudio%5FPerformance%5FProducts%2F06%5FTube%5FEQ
Except a bit pricey
Maybe a the mxr Six band eq? Although I've heard the footswitches on them arent great;
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=69134
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
^ Thanks.

Is it worth using an EQ with a valve junior, anyone? Does it dramatically improve it? I was originally just gonna get a valve junior as a small present to myself (finishing exams, blah) but I'm now thinking of getting an overdrive pedal and possibly an EQ as well. It'll come to a total of £200+ I'm thinking. Still worth it? Or does an overdrive and EQ turn the valve junior into a pretty good amp?

Still looking for a bigger amp, but I don't need the volume atm and I'm thinking a VJ + OD + EQ could tide me over for a fair bit, until I eventually get a 15-30 watt valve amp, which obviously I could use the OD+EQ with and probably continue to use the VJ for bedroom practising.

Ah, sorry for hi-jacking your thread, threadstarter.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^I've heard the MXR ones are extremely non transparent and completedly change your tone.

And using a TS won't incite any SS clipping, the SS part is only in the diodes in the power supply, there is no SS in the audio chain.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
And using a TS won't incite any SS clipping, the SS part is only in the diodes in the power supply, there is no SS in the audio chain.

Well the 2 diodes in the feedback loop of the first opamp in a Tubescreamer would be doing it.
^Oh yeah, that's right then. I thought you meant clipping in the amp since it had a SS power supply.

I really like the tone of my guitar plugged straight into a PA at line level, so hopefully I won't need to do much EQing. Would the TS9 be my best choice for really pushing the power amp and screaming those notes? Or would I be much better off with a similar/cheaper OD pedal?
Crate XT120r Amp
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
do note i want that real clear cut scream and not a ton of string articulation. But I DO NOT want to sound like my current crate, I want that real beautiful break up that will make people come to me after a gig and ask what my secret is.
Crate XT120r Amp
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
I bought the valve junior combo a week ago, didn't really have any expectations considering the price, I was only upgrading from my 15w SS epiphone amp for it, and when I started to use it I didn't really see a huge difference, except that the SS amp had a seperate gain.

When I ran my digitech crossroads pedal into the junior and put it on the layla overdrive setting, I saw a huge improvement, it sounded exactly like I wanted the pedal to sound like when I bought it. I was dissapointed with the overdrive function of it when I bought it and used it with the SS amp, but in the junior it sounds perfect, couldn't hope for anything more. I don't need volume because I mostly just play at home, but I am extremely happy with the junior when using that clapton pedal, as well as my metal muff distortion pedal. Also noticed a huge increase in volume using the overdrive, when trying it out in store I figured it wouldn't be able to get too loud, but it can roar with both overdrive and distortion. I was really only buying the valve junior to tide me over for another six months when I would buy something with more wattage, maybe an epiphone standard (15w) or blues custom (30w), but unless something drastic happens I think I will be happy with it until the band I practise with go looking for gigs.