hey im travelling to the canary islands which is off the coast of africa so temp changes are gonna be big. ive got a hardcase and ive got two acosutics a really crappy nylon and a sexy wasburn D46SCE. id like to bring washburn do u think its safe? would it go in hold or hand luggage ? do i need to slacken strings ? would you bring your good acoustic or not risk it ? i could take an electric ? please give me advice . its british airways btw because luggage resticitons might be different for different airlines. give me your personal accounts and adivce please. would a hardcase protect it enough?
i wouldnt risk my electric no way take your acoustic...hey at least you can still play guitar

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
The safest way is to take the guitar with you to cabin but some airline companies has different ways to handle guitars. One guitarist has told that he had to buy a ticket for his guitar bacause it was his consert guitar and he didn't want to take that risk it would go brake. If you put the guitar in hard case and put there enough something which protects from hits, then it should stand in the hold. You should call to the airline company you are using and ask if the flight is full and if it's not ask if you could take the guitar to cabin. I had the same problem when I went to Czech Rep. I don't have a hard case for my electric guitar and it wasn't sure how full would the airplane come. The result was that I had to leave my guitar home and there was in both ways a free seat next to me.
You never know how the airport workers handle your stuff and in how many peaces your guitar comes from the plane
It's simple. Put "Fragile" stickers on it and bring it with you on the plane. When someone complains, tell them to screw off.
My stuff
Fender Telecaster Aerodyne Series
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard
Fender Standard Strat
Taylor 414-ce
Takamine Acoustic
1938 Gibson Lap Steel (priceless)
Fender Blues Junior
USA Big Muff Pi
Danelectro Fab Overdrive

My band
^ what if they think it's a bomb or something?

I took my guitar with me across the Pacific and nothing happened. I took it as carry-on and they helped me put it into this forward storage place thats pretty safe. But I think it depends more on what airline you take, if it's reliable, friendly, etc.
There is no place else to go
The theater is closed
I took my electric on a plane. I had a hard case though, it was just put in the cargo hold and it was fine - although it was my cheap electric. They did ask me to open it, and I couldn't find the key immediately, then I almost left it there with them.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
what i am doing for holiday this year is taking the neck off my electric (thank god for bolt ons ) and just putting it in my suitcase. Then wen we get there i will assemble it putting on strings and whatnot this eliminates the main fear of a cracked neck
I don't think you can take as carry on luggage because of it's size, there is a limit on the size of carry on luggage because it has to either fit below the seat in front of you or the overhead bin. You may be able to buy a seperate ticket for the seat beside you so you can carry it on, but I would check it the airline first. Also, I would be kind of iffy about taking it, I've seen the way some airlines handle luggage, some seem like they could care less what it is, even if it says fragile on it, it all depends on the airline. Oh and don't worry about the bomb thing, whether you carry it on or check it in, they will still search it, I would know, I work at the airport.
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
REMEMBER TO LOOSEN THE STRINGS IF U DO!!! There's so much tension when on an airplane that ur neck will literally snap if u dont loosen ur strings.

I'd just keep ur good acoustic at home, and buy a guitar when u get there.. maybe one made by a local (if they make them there) so that way, ull have a really unique guitar from the Cannery Islands.
If you put it in a hard case and loosen the strings or just plain take them of, and it goes into cargo it should be fine...slap a few fragile stickers just in case, also depends on the durability of your case.
if id woz u then id email or fone british airways. or go in to your local travel agent. its prob best to ask someone who would know, than guess and end up either breaking your guitar or knocking people out trying to get it in and out of the over head compartment.

-chris-
lol ye i dont care about wat the case looks like i just want it too look after my babies :P. i ve got a hardcase for my electric do u recon theres less or more chance of an elctric getting broken or watevs ? or do u recon an acoustic is fairly safe in a hardcase with bubble wrap and stuff inside?
For when you actually get to your destination, I'd make sure you have a dehumidifier in your case, no matter which guitar you bring. People have had their bodies collapse on them because of the intense temperature changes.

Personally, I wouldn't bring your nicer guitar, unless you've got some major gigs. There are just too many things to worry about that aren't worth having them happen.
>>---Mai Pen Rai--->
Quote by fsb_ben
REMEMBER TO LOOSEN THE STRINGS IF U DO!!! There's so much tension when on an airplane that ur neck will literally snap if u dont loosen ur strings.

The tension from worried passengers isn't likely to snap your guitar neck.

The tension comes from the strings, and will be the same at 30k feet as the cabin is made to resemble the atmosphere on the surface.

Loosening the strings will most likely end up straightening your neck which will create a buzz like none other.

I do not suggest taking your guitar on vacation anywhere anyway. The change in temperature and humidity will wreck havoc on unfinished woods (like the ones in the soundhole or the neck) and the glues that are holding them together.

Take it at your own risk.
Quote by n00blet
lol ye i dont care about wat the case looks like i just want it too look after my babies :P. i ve got a hardcase for my electric do u recon theres less or more chance of an elctric getting broken or watevs ? or do u recon an acoustic is fairly safe in a hardcase with bubble wrap and stuff inside?

Electrics will fare much better, especially if you have a finished neck (maple) and a poly-coated guitar. If its nitro leave it at home.
For some reason when I read the topic I thought you wanted to bring it on the plane and start everyone singing. It would be like "The Brady Bunch Movie: Unplugged."
Just remember, if you put it in as checked baggage [meaning it goes into holding], the holding compartment is NOT pressurized like the cabin is. Take the strings out or maybe put a humidifier in your acoustic.

Also, invest in a quality case; something along the lines of SKB or Gator ATA rated cases would do.

Or, you could just get a Martin Backpacker, those things are great. Problem is, the gigbag looks like a gun case to the untrained eye, despite the lack of magazine pouches, unless you get one of those Homeland Security discreet weapons cases.

But the Backpacker is so small, that you can deff take it as a carry on. Just stand it between your legs or put it up into the overhead bins since it won't fit under a seat [too long]
Quote by TheNinja
For example just now I felt like I was going to throw up and had a stomach ache but then I masturbated and now I feel fine. It has also cured me of a headache.

LOL
it all depends on how full the plane is, if the luggage does the rear baggage compartment, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about because the rear compartment is pressurized because when people transport animals, they go in the lower baggage compartment. If the guitar fits in the case tightly in the case I don't think you have anything to worry about imo
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
My guitar has flown all over the world and been on many 8 hour plus flights on one of the oldest planes with the crappiest pressurization system known to man. She's fine, I wouldn't worry too much Then again I'm in charge of the back of the plane so I can keep a close eye on her, and of course play her when I get bored...

Bry
I don't know if this was already mentioned but maybe you could go without the guitar and then when your there have some one send it to you through a good mail service.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by zeppelinpage4
I don't know if this was already mentioned but maybe you could go without the guitar and then when your there have some one send it to you through a good mail service.

you do realize that the mail service is gonna send it via air???

unless the postal service has created some magical teleporting device i dont know about...
I was considering taking my guitar on holiday with me in July but I think I'm gonna leave it! Think its a bit risky and I wouldnt like anything to happen to my baby

I'm only going for a week though so I'm sure I can manage without it, if I was going for any longer I'd risk it but I'd still only take the cheaper one.
Member of The Darkness fanclub
I was there for SD's cocksucking forum, August 15th, 2006.
The Cas Fast Foundation - pm draken to join and support cas on his 30 food free days.
i'm still trying to figure out how you're going to wrap your guitar in bubble wrap inside a hardshell case. if there's enough room in your hardshell case to wrap bubble wrap around the guitar.... you bought the wrong case.

assuming that your hardshell case does fit your guitar correctly, you shouldn't have any problems traveling with it. many airlines give you the option of labeling your bag as fragile luggage and it will be stowed more carefully. if your airline of choice doesn't have this option, i still wouldn't worry about it to much. any moron will recognize that it's a guitar and shouldn't be throwing it around. buying another ticket for your guitar is absurd in this case. those washburns are only about 350 USD brand new... it's not like we're talking about a golden era martin here.
I took my classical (which is quite bulky in its case) by air from England to Italy (2 week holiday, couldn't stand being parted) I just took it into the plane, and asked the staff if there was somewhere they could store it (always choose the slightly middle aged, sympathtic looking airhostess) and she just put it in the tall cubboard where the keep coats. I think it was British Airlines too. So yeah, it worked for me. But theres still a risk you cant take it on. I would never put my guitar in a hold though, I know loads of people whos guitars got completly ruined down there.
Quote by chriskent4687
if id woz u then id email or fone british airways. or go in to your local travel agent. its prob best to ask someone who would know, than guess and end up either breaking your guitar or knocking people out trying to get it in and out of the over head compartment.

-chris-

It'll be fine, keep in the hardcase and be sure to attach a "delicate" sign over it.
--------------------------------------------------------