I'm starting to give my 7 year old cousin guitar lessons sometime this week and I need help on what to teach him the first few lessons.

I was thinking for the first lesson, to teach him stuff like:

• Parts of the guitar
  • String notes (EADGBe)
  • How to use a pick

Any suggestions?

Also, should he start on an accoustic, classical guitar or electric?

Also general tips on teaching would be nice.

What you've said is a good start. Also try to teach him a song he knows. Something simple like jingle bells.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
have her/him start on an acoustic. It builds up hand strength faster, and is simple and easy, so that if he he/she gets serious about guitar they can strap on an electric and play even better.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
I think thats great, but instead of the various string notes, just teach him some basic chords. Save that for the next lesson, or maybe when you are starting to teach him to read sheet music.
u have them start on the type of guitar that best reflects their musical tastes.

in this case we're talking about a 7 year old. but even at that age ull find they prefer a certain type of music.

if u want to keep them interested then u need to play things they like.

its important they learn notes, but if u deal too much with single notes, ull lose them after the first lesson.

i agree, basic chords.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
uhh would a 7 year old even be able to fret at all on an acoustic, without raping their fingers hardcore?
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
DON'T start him on classical. The width of the fretboard on them is just frustrating. And I have long fingers!

Teach him something he can sing along to, like the basic chords to some song. Behind Blue Eyes? No Woman No Cry?
teach him the chords A D and E and the first few notes on the stings eg on the 6th string E F G, and on the 5th sting A B C
Teach him the basics like strings(Eddie,Ate,Dynamyte,Good,Bye,Eddie) ,chords,some very basic riffs (Ex. high e 0-2-3-2-0-2-3-2-0-2-3-2-0) ,mabey how to tune with a tuner,explain the parts of the guitar and why they are there (teach him about frets and about the dots/lines,tell him the difference in classical guitar,electric,and acoustic,the difference in string sizes,pick sizes,etc...),mabey something like wild thing,margarettaville,heart of gold,knockin on heavens door, back in black ,louie louie,amazeing grace,etc..Dont say things that you think will confuse him though , if hes smart mabey teach him some minor chords if you dont think he will be confused.Your really just gonna have to see how he is gonna be.Mabey some of that would be second or third lessons it just depends on how quick he picks up on the stuff.Then teach him easy songs with chords then mabey get to power chords and do something like all along the watchtower or something...Once he gets comfortable(sp) with chords teach him like f then a song with it then start working up with barre chords and power chords.And teach him songs with barre chords and regular chords though.Defenately teach him the chromatic scale ,speaking of scaled dont for get the a minor penatonic...That dumb little riff
e
a-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0 Theres more but you probally know it anyways...
d-0-0-2-2-0-0-2-2
g
b
e

How to improvise ...Start teaching him songs and then solos and then just let him bring cds or whatever and teach him how to play...

Thats actually more the course you take while getting lessons...Only in the wrong order...

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quote by Danno13
DON'T start him on classical. The width of the fretboard on them is just frustrating. And I have long fingers!

I started on classical and I had no problems.

Anything else?
well he will probably enjoy playing an electric guitar more (because it has distortion)

but don't start him on a steel string it would kill his fingers.

also how big is he cause u could get him one of those 3/4 size nylon string guitars
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
yea of the strat jnr

the only thing is that any little guitar will suck
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
try teaching recognisable stuff eg twinkle twinkle little star, james bond theme tune yknow the kinda stuff 7 yr olds will know
i dont think you should even see a pick on the first lesson to be honest, leave it to fingerpicking as for now imo
u have them start on the type of guitar that best reflects their musical tastes.
QUOTE]

+1
i got started on an acoustic and quit for two years because it wasnt what i wanted and because i couldnt sound like they do on the radio